SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 17, 2007, 03:34 PM
corrupted - 17x18 or more
College Park, Maryland, United States
Joined Nov 2003
506 Posts
Discussion
CASA F5B (VA F5B) contest April 28-29,2007

The CASA (Capital Area Soaring Association) F5B contest is less than 2 weeks away. I thought I would start a new thread to update people. Remember this is a fun-fly contest with the emphasis on introducing flyers to F5B contest flying.

As in previous years, two classes will be flown; FAI F5B (16-cell), and modified F5F which is 10 or fewer cells with no restriction on planes. This year, as previously announced LiPo's will be allowed. Since the original announcement of the contest, the FAI has made some decisions that influences our LiPo cell count rules previously posted. Thus to stay consistant with the proposed rules (ignoring the power limiter since it is not really available) the F5B (16-cell) class will allow a LiPo configuration of 6s or smaller rather than the 4s stated in earlier posts. (Our contest will allow parallel configurations.) Our modified F5F (10-cell) class will allow a LiPo configuration of 3s or smaller.

The directions to the Gude Drive flying site are located on the CASA web site under flying sites.
http://www.soarcasa.org
The field will be available for practice flying on Friday. We will be setting up the course early Friday afternoon and flying some laps ourselves.

Please respond to this thread if you are planning on attending. Give a quick rundown on what you will be flying.

Thanks,
Don Barker
eye_rc_soar is offline Find More Posts by eye_rc_soar
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2007, 03:40 PM
Joined Nov 2003
506 Posts
I will obviously be attending. I will be flying a Racketenwurm 2 (the original, and not the modified 2 that has wing bolts, and not the 2B). All my round cells are shot, so I will be using a Neu 4900 2s LiPo - nothing bigger than 2s will fit into the fuselage. Motor is a Neu 7-cell swinging a 16x16 slim.

Don
Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:32 PM
USA, CA, Vista
Joined Jun 2003
221 Posts
Don,
I'm planning on attending..
surprise 12 -lipos 4900
7-cell also if it will pack on the plane..
Dyno Don
Dyno Don is offline Find More Posts by Dyno Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:41 PM
jean-claude Terrettaz
Carp, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2000
1,468 Posts
Hello Don,
You can "compte" on me again maybe with Mike Anderson but I don't know yet.
I will fly Open with Avionik on 4 lipos.
RW2 as a backup , fuselage for lipos will be not ready.
Glad to see the east cost gang again.See you @ the field Friday night.
J-C
bidule is offline Find More Posts by bidule
Old Apr 18, 2007, 11:57 AM
ago involo ergo sum
Kemptville, Ontario, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
413 Posts
Hotel/Motels?

How about some recommendations for nearby Hotels/ Motels? Maybe it would more appropriate to tell us which ones to stay away from . .

Any issues with this one?
BEST WESTERN WASHINGTON GATEWAY
1251 W. MONTGOMERY AVE., ROCKVILLE, MD 20850
MikeAnderson is offline Find More Posts by MikeAnderson
Last edited by MikeAnderson; Apr 18, 2007 at 12:18 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 01:00 PM
Joined Nov 2003
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAnderson
How about some recommendations for nearby Hotels/ Motels? Maybe it would more appropriate to tell us which ones to stay away from . .

Any issues with this one?
BEST WESTERN WASHINGTON GATEWAY
1251 W. MONTGOMERY AVE., ROCKVILLE, MD 20850
I haven't heard anything bad about any of them. It is a major metropolitan area with just about every class of hotel/motel within an easy drive. Pick your favorite chain and see if they have one close by.

Here is a link that is gives information about a fun-fly event coming up soon at the CASA Gude field. There is a link to nearby motels.
http://home.comcast.net/~mkroese3/

See you soon,
Don
Old Apr 18, 2007, 05:23 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,853 Posts
Count me in Don. I'll bring a couple of 4S powered Avioniks.

Lenny
Lenny970 is offline Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old Apr 18, 2007, 05:29 PM
So, how fast does it go?
Gerrardstown, WV
Joined Jul 2006
111 Posts
I'm going to come if only to watch. I have a few planes that I might like to toss around, but nothing even remotely competative Lenny, you'll get to see that excite you just built again. I'll bring it along to show it off.
brobak is offline Find More Posts by brobak
Old Apr 18, 2007, 11:16 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobak
Lenny, you'll get to see that excite you just built again. I'll bring it along to show it off.
Cool! Hope we'll get to see it fly!

Lenny
Lenny970 is offline Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old Apr 19, 2007, 05:14 AM
ago involo ergo sum
Kemptville, Ontario, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
413 Posts
I'm in!

JC & I will make up the Ottawa ON Canadian contingent.

I'll bring my 4S powered Ariane V11 & 4S powered Enigma. Plus I'll try to squeeze in my Silent Dream for a relaxed thermal flight. We'll be in town by early Friday evening.

I fly on channel 18 BTW.

I'll also bring my camera & PC so we can upload some photos Saturday night, maybe.

Mike
MikeAnderson is offline Find More Posts by MikeAnderson
Last edited by MikeAnderson; Apr 19, 2007 at 05:14 AM. Reason: added channel note
Old Apr 19, 2007, 10:25 PM
Joined Sep 2003
376 Posts
We're planning on being at the field at about noon or 1pm on Friday....so come by for some practice laps if you can. From there we'll plan to catch a bye to eat.

I'm not sure what I'll be flying. Perhaps the Surprise 14 with some 4s packs, or maybe the Avionik. I tried to fit the 3S pack into the Avionik 10-cell plane...it fits but I didn't try to get the wing on. The 3s pack is a no-go into the RW-F5F plane....total sadness.
tdearman is offline Find More Posts by tdearman
Old Apr 20, 2007, 12:16 PM
So, how fast does it go?
Gerrardstown, WV
Joined Jul 2006
111 Posts
I hope we'll get to see it fly too. I have to replace that ar6100 in there since I've been reading that they are having in flight rebooting problems.... I'm scared to lose that thing to a damn glitch. And even more scared with the speed of the thing. Probably see if I can fit something like the 6000 in there or even the 7000 if you left me enough space.

I still have it in the box I can't play till after this work move is over.
brobak is offline Find More Posts by brobak
Old Apr 20, 2007, 02:05 PM
Authorized Self-Portrait?
Greensboro, NC
Joined Nov 2003
1,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdearman
I tried to fit the 3S pack into the Avionik 10-cell plane...it fits but I didn't try to get the wing on. The 3s pack is a no-go into the RW-F5F plane....total sadness.
I see that you and Don have the same issue with the RW fuses. I do not have a 4900 pack yet, and am probably glad I do not! Is there any way that 3 loose cells could be made to fit, or even better a 2s and a loose cell?

Back on topic, I picked the wrong weekend to get married; hopefully this event will slowly migrate away from my anniversary on the 29th. I messed myself up for this one and SEFF as well. At least she hasn't completely cut off my allowance!!! I hope to have the RW and Surprise 9 each in the proper 3 pieces for the fall event, tho! Hope you guys have a great time and look forward to following along on this forum.

Steve
kitfoxdrvr is offline Find More Posts by kitfoxdrvr
Old Apr 20, 2007, 04:16 PM
jean-claude Terrettaz
Carp, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2000
1,468 Posts
I try to fit two Neu 4900 2 s pack in the RW2B .It's possible but to complicated...
It's worth to wait for the Lipo fuselage and finally burn and explode those NIMH.....
A+
bidule is offline Find More Posts by bidule
Old Apr 21, 2007, 12:49 PM
Joined Sep 2003
376 Posts
J-C,

I am with you there....this might be the last horah for the NiMhs. I won't feel bad torturing them! I'll do at least one nostalgic flight with the RW2B and that funky 16-cell pack (I am not going to miss soldering those puppies together).

TD
tdearman is offline Find More Posts by tdearman