HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2007, 04:40 AM
Sydney
Joined Jan 2007
386 Posts
Discussion
Electric spads

Having searched through the SPAD sites I an unable to find any SPAD electric designs. Are there any ESPADS floating around?
GoldenSlopes is offline Find More Posts by GoldenSlopes
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2007, 12:58 AM
Brisbane
Joined Feb 2007
29 Posts
I am about to complete an electric P51. It is an 11% enlarged version of a corostang. Some modifications have been required, and I have altered the airfoil shape using a double tapered spar.

111cm wingspan
waypoint 2215 22 turn motor, turning an 11 x 5.5 prop
hyperion spinner
2100 mah lipo

I am using a cowling and canopy from a foam model that I purchased as spare parts for $12. The build has been slower than expected due to the fact of modifying formers to electrics and having an easy access hatch for the battery etc; COG as well.

The plane should be test flown within a week. I believe it is a little on the heavy side at 950gms, and i am unsure whether the motor will have enough grunt with a hand launch. I am after scale speed rather than speed records.

If this is the case, then I can build it about 140 grams lighter by changing to wing mounted servos and using no covering. 3mm corflute used on wing and fuselage, with 5mm tail components.

If this is successful the next model with be a FW190. The canopy and cowling are available for these too at about $15.
aaiek is offline Find More Posts by aaiek
Old Apr 18, 2007, 04:29 AM
Brisbane
Joined Feb 2007
29 Posts
Just an update on the first post. The model is now complete and ready to go. Hopefully I will fly in the next few days. 1.1KG is the AUW; a little heavy.

I ran the motor at full power for bout 5 minutes this afternoon and it wants to fly out of the hand. I think there will be sufficient power. Hopefully the wing loading is not too heavy. Time will tell and so will the ground; maybe!
Old Apr 23, 2007, 03:27 AM
Sydney
Joined Jan 2007
386 Posts
Sound like a winner that going tp fly quite fast.
Would love to see some pictures.
I'm picking up coro next week to start en e spad of some sort
Old Apr 23, 2007, 06:35 PM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2007
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSlopes
Having searched through the SPAD sites I an unable to find any SPAD electric designs. Are there any ESPADS floating around?
An ESPAD will be my first built from scratch plane. Like you I'm in search of ESPAD plans. The only detailed one I've found so far is the ESpa3D designed by Collin "Kraut" McGinnis. You can check it out at http://www.spadtothebone.com/freeplans.htm Click on 3D and Novelty and you will see ESpa3D at the bottom of the list.

If any one comes across other ESPAD plans please post. Thanks
XYZ-Wing is offline Find More Posts by XYZ-Wing
Old Apr 24, 2007, 11:39 PM
Brisbane
Joined Feb 2007
29 Posts
Golden Slopes,

Too heavy. Will fly but just too heavy. At a guess, it needs to be at least 200gms lighter. I am building another version and reverting to the original dimemsions (40 inch ws) and will weigh as a I build to see if it can be made to the correct weight.

The motor has enough thrust to fly out of the hand but runs out of speed soon after and the plane just simply drags it's fuse around at a speed that is on the verge of stall.

I will try a small diameter prop and different servo configuration to lighten things and advise on what the AUW will be.

AAiek
Old Apr 28, 2007, 07:49 PM
Brisbane
Joined Feb 2007
29 Posts
Next build nearly complete. I have purchased an accurate set of digital scales and am weighing absolutely everything as I go.

I expect AUW to be about 850gms; 300gms lighters than the 1st prototype. Construction all 3mm coro, balsa formers, and zap only except for the epoxied motor mount.

I have reverted to wing mounted micro servos and simplified the motor mounting to save weight. No spinner for test flight and no decals; just the bare airframe.

Hope to test fly this afternoon late.

Will post a few piccys if successful.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 12:54 AM
Brisbane
Joined Feb 2007
29 Posts
Flies well and at 829gms AUW cruises at about 60% power. My set up of the control throws was far too severe and I ended up driving it into the ground nose first.

Some damage, but not terminal. Next flight will have minimal control throws set on the dual rates. This is my first low wing and therefore some of the reason for the crash is pilot error; some would say all of the reason. Minimal control throws should have the plane quite dosile.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 01:56 AM
Depron Panda
Ramat Hasharon, Israel
Joined Feb 2006
80 Posts
Can you please post some pictures?
Thanks,
Rony
Ronys is offline Find More Posts by Ronys
Old Apr 29, 2007, 12:14 PM
Depron Panda
Ramat Hasharon, Israel
Joined Feb 2006
80 Posts
Very nice!

Can you post the pictures with higher resolution?. It is a little hard to look at the details this way.

Are the plans used from spadtothebone.com?

Thanks,
Ronys is offline Find More Posts by Ronys
Last edited by Ronys; Apr 29, 2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 05:05 AM
Brisbane
Joined Feb 2007
29 Posts
Plans are from Spad to the bone. Just a few modifications as explained. 3mm and 5mm coro are available in Australia, and the 5mm is too heavy; very strong but just too heavy.

Photos are at full resolution. I will hopefully fly this again tomorrow with less control throws and advise.

aaiek
Old May 05, 2007, 01:53 AM
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Oct 2004
352 Posts
Here is one I recently built. http://spadworld.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13874

Flight report can be read here!
http://spadworld.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14066

Later,
Omaha
omaha_rc_flyer is offline Find More Posts by omaha_rc_flyer
Old May 05, 2007, 07:56 PM
Sydney
Joined Jan 2007
386 Posts
Good work aaiek, just need to keep dropping that weight.
I am getting my cloroplast supplies today.
Old May 05, 2007, 08:33 PM
glider pilot in training
United States, AR, Searcy
Joined Aug 2006
649 Posts
might i suggest using 1/4 foam to make a wing like on the sassy rudder rail.

the yardstrick spar should make is strong but it should still be very light
webdragon is offline Find More Posts by webdragon