Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 18, 2002, 06:26 PM
Gilbert, Arizona
Joined Sep 2002
19 Posts
I give up on the ECO 8

Well, it runs, but it doesn't fly! I'm now at the point of frustration. When I start the thing up and try to hover, it starts shaking uncontrollably until the tail rotor hits the ground. When the blades stop turning, they are no longer straight out, they are almost parallel. What holds these things straight. I'm starting to think you guys that say the ECO is junk are right! YES I BALANCED THE BLADES.

ECO 8 for sale. 0 Hours.
Helidiot is offline Find More Posts by Helidiot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2002, 07:37 PM
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Joined Mar 2002
90 Posts
you may have a bent main shaft. i would take it off and double check it. if its shaking that bad something is bent or out of allignment.
novaman
novaman is offline Find More Posts by novaman
Old Oct 18, 2002, 08:29 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Jan 2002
186 Posts
Contrifugal force keeps the blades out. Make sure you don't tighten them down too much. You should be able to move them without too much effort, and they should both require the same force to move. If they are not the same, the one blade will lead the other, which will cause a huge vibration. If you did that, you might have bent your main shaft, especially if it is the orignal soft metal one. The hardened shafts work much better.

Try and find someone local to help you get the set up right. If you can't, you nay want to see if you can send it to someone who has experience with the Eco. Mine flew great, no vibrations at all.

Good luck and keep trying.
crashman is offline Find More Posts by crashman
Old Oct 18, 2002, 09:40 PM
Joined Mar 2002
768 Posts
The blades should almost fold when the rotor stops. The ECO 8 with a set of carbon fiber blades really is a smooth chopper...since you tried to fly it with the blades unbalaced (or some sort of problem) get the hardened main shaft and tail shaft along with a set of carbon fiber or fiberglass blades.

IT'S YOUR FAULT! fix it
Crasher is offline Find More Posts by Crasher
Old Oct 18, 2002, 11:24 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
I'm not a helicopter guy but I want to add something. You spent the money and the time to get your ECO this far. Hang in there and get it flying. We have some good people on this forum who will be glad to help.

Good luck.

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Oct 19, 2002, 02:36 AM
Powered by ThunderPower
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Sep 2001
4,197 Posts
Quote:
it starts shaking uncontrollably until the tail rotor hits the ground.
I know the feeling .

The Eco is VERY sensitive when it comes to balancing. If the main blades are balanced, then focus on your flybar paddles next. They solved my "shaking." If the problem persists, then it could be a bent main shaft. The hardened one is a good purchase.

Give us more info to try and help you out.

The Eco is not junk... maybe tricky

Chachin..

PS: Mine is undergoing some minor repairs now, can't wait to get it flying . Good luck!
Chachin is offline Find More Posts by Chachin
Old Oct 19, 2002, 04:01 PM
Central Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2002
164 Posts
Hello Helidiot,
From your original post, I point to one of your quotes/questions about main
blades : " What holds these things straight."
This tells me that you may be just getting started with r/c model heli's. We've all been there. These machines can be a real challange, no doubt ! I like, and agree with Co-Climber's reply . Being an Eco8 owner, I can also agree with what Chachin had to say about the Eco8. I hope your cute little Eco didn't read where you called it "junk". Poor little guy...
I'd suggest that you keep at it. I can promise that everytime you overcome a challenge , you'll be all smiles and pretty darn proud of yourself. Trouble shooting new problems can be an ever present conditon when getting involved with r/c model heli's. Call me a sick'o but I actually enjoy taking on something that tests my patients , abilities, and experence. This is a tough thing to except when all a guy wants is to see their models fly. I've been there and it's times / subjects like this one which remind me of just how complex and satisfying our hobby can be.
If you decide to give your Eco some more time, don't forget to let us know how you are doing. I'd like to be the first person to give you a well deserved pat-on-the-back and a good ole fashioned " atta-boy " !!
Perhaps a different model would suit you better ... ? It happens. With a nick name like "Helidiot", I have a feeling that you got the "bug" and will keep moving ahead in an attempt to get that "flying thing go'in on" . Later, Jon
jdgee is offline Find More Posts by jdgee
Old Oct 19, 2002, 07:07 PM
Rotorhead
Oly, Wa, USA
Joined Jun 2001
331 Posts
Don't give up!!! We all understand you frustration, we've been there.
You have embarked on an incredibly tough journey.
Model helicopters are without a doubt the hardest things to build and fly PROPERLY. It take hours and hours of tinkering to get it right, that is just the nature of these little beasts.
The Eco 8 is not junk, it's just a helicopter.
There is an old saying with full size heli mechanics, 1 hour of flight equals 5 hours of maintenance. These models are the same way.
Step back, take a breather, watch some TV, have a drink. And when you are relaxed and have a clear mind get back to the heli.
I also enjoy the challenge and utter frustration some times. In the end it's well worth it. They don't call us Propeller heads for nothing.
Now, pull the shafts and make sure there not bent!
Good luck, and keep asking questions.

Eric S.
Luxor is offline Find More Posts by Luxor
Old Oct 19, 2002, 07:09 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Jul 2002
488 Posts
Hey Helidiot, you have gotten a lot of encouragement from a lot of guys here! Listen to what they say and give us some feedback.
Paul5910 is offline Find More Posts by Paul5910
Old Oct 20, 2002, 12:19 AM
Gilbert, Arizona
Joined Sep 2002
19 Posts
OK, OK...with that kind of positive encouragement, how can a guy quit? I guess I just spoke out of temporary frustration. I saw the carbon fiber blades on a web site and wondered if they were worth the money. Sounds like they might be, but in the time being, I'm going to do some checking on the main shaft tomorrow. I suspected that in the before and it sounds like most agree that is where to start looking. Thanks for all the support, I'm just a little discouraged since the ESC was bad right off the bat and now it looks like there may be another problem part. I think the Samsonite gorilla delivered my heli.
Helidiot is offline Find More Posts by Helidiot
Old Oct 20, 2002, 12:34 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,799 Posts
Glad to see you are not going to quit! There is nothing like that first real hover, once you have it setup correct.

And there comes the trick, SETUP. It is tedious, but that is the nature of the beast. Yes there is maintainence, but not that much.

The real key is to really pay attention to the balance, linkages and radio setup. It all works to gether and close is not normally enough on a heli. It must be right.

If the blades have hit the gound, get a new main and feathering shaft. Balance the head, the blades (both CG and overall)

Double check all the gears and be sure the radio moves right, and put in neg expo on the cyclic (say 30%)

The hardest part is where you are now. Anyone can build a heli, but it takes patience to build one that really fly's well.

Good Luck and let us know how it is going!!
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Oct 20, 2002, 04:39 AM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
Did you check the tracking on your blades?

The blade tracking is as important as blade balancing.

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita
Old Oct 20, 2002, 11:00 AM
Central Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2002
164 Posts
Hi Helidiot,
" ATTA-BOY ! " Sometimes the obvious can be overlooked. Start with the basics and move up from there. Good Luck, Jon
jdgee is offline Find More Posts by jdgee
Old Oct 21, 2002, 10:13 AM
Chicago
Joined May 2002
349 Posts
It sounds like your vibration is way too much for simple paddle or blade balance (unless the blades are WAY out of balance). I had the blade grips too tight at first and it exibited a "totally out of balance" shake like you describe (but it went away at higher head RPM's...only shook at spool-up). Another suggestion is to go through the head assembly and linkages completely, making sure it's assembled correctly.

Try searching here for any posts on the ECO. There's a lot of worth while reading that will save you the time and expense of learning the hard way. There are many posts about eliminating vibrations, and that will get you pointed in the right direction.

You don't need CF blades to get it vibration free, and I would advise against them if you are new, the wood blades are fine for beginners and less expensive to replace.
GKurt is offline Find More Posts by GKurt
Old Oct 21, 2002, 10:26 AM
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Jun 2001
244 Posts
Keep trying. I my Eco8 flies pretty well. I flew it with the stock wood blades for a very long time. I woudln't recommend getting the CF blades until you learn to fly it a little better. That way when you crach it is a lot less expensive.

Just a suggestion,

Sean
SeanB is offline Find More Posts by SeanB