HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2007, 08:30 PM
Joined Mar 2007
35 Posts
Discussion
First Annual "Lawn Dart" fly-in

I started out the day with some slope flying at my local 230' dune overlooking Lake Michigan. Yes it's beautiful. Then I decided to head out to the local field and do some Up Start tows (I'm a noob with gliders).

The first tows with my Easy Glider went quite well. Strong winds gave me max height but the air was glass smooth. Wind off the lake tends to shut down thermals within 20 miles of the shore but sometimes it's not bad (the field is wet too). I then pulled out my Daydream, gave it a powerful stretch on the line and let 'er go. ....Forgot to turn on the receiver! So I just stood there and watched it go straight up, make a hard turn towards mother earth, and in classic lawn dart fashion....thump!

The nose was sunk in nearly to the wing in firm mud. I had a hard time getting it out. but there was very little damage and the funny thing was that the switch was turned on from the impact and the line was stretched further than I could.

Then I let a fellow glow pilot do some tows and he did well accept he would let it slow too much when turning down wind. On his last flight he did an extreme stall at about 30-40' with my Easy Glider. The glider was pointing straight up! It was just about to recover when it too, in perfect lawn dart form, impacted hard and stuck. This time there was a little damage at the wing joint but she'll fly again in no time.

Anyway, probably not worth posting here but I'm just having so much fun with my gliders I had to tell someone.

Later,
Matt
mattJ is offline Find More Posts by mattJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2007, 10:39 PM
USA, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Aug 2006
192 Posts
Hello Matt,

Great story. I thought lawn darts were banned in the US year ago

I too have a lawn dart story. My DLG glider lawn darted from about 30 ft into Mother Earth with nothing but some dirt on the nose. The cause... the switch would turn off during launch. I did this twice in a row then got rid of the switch. The DL50 is extremely durable despite it being 8 oz AUW.

Looking forward to more lawn dart stories.

regards,

chad
saltydog is offline Find More Posts by saltydog