HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2007, 06:34 PM
Marysville, CA
Joined Jul 2006
57 Posts
Build Log
Dumas 19ft Racing Runabout

Hello, just thought I would post some pictures of my boat build. It is the Dumas 19ft Racing Runabout (which has been posted previously by Pat Tritle, who did an excellent job). This is my first kit build of a r/c boat. I have been in the plastic model hobby for some time and have done a few electric park flyer r/c aircraft. I also scratch built a hull for the Marie L. Hanlon tug (from rcboatmodeler) when I was a teenager, but never finished the project. I'm glad I stumbled upon the maritime world once again! My wife, however, would love to have her kitchen island counter space back! haha.

I have a question if anyone is willing: regarding the running hardware of this Dumas; is it worth upgrading it to something such as the MACK products stuff? I don't necessarily care for the tiny plastic propeller supplied in the kit, and I like the o-ringed stuffing boxes available from MACK.

Does anyone have any suggestions on alternate propellers for this runabout? Thanks for any advice.

Without futher ado; here are the pictures:
mcfly1883 is offline Find More Posts by mcfly1883
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2007, 06:38 PM
Toronto, Ontario
Joined Jul 2002
397 Posts
Glad to see another build thread on this boat. I just bought one myself - I was planning to use it as my first boat but decided to build a Vac-u-boat first. I plan to get mine done by the summer though.

Looks great so far. Keep posting pictures and I will be following this tread.

I have the same question on the drive shaft as well - its looks a little cheap. Even the vac-u-tug driveline is a lot nicer.

Cheers,
Dave
DavidMC is offline Find More Posts by DavidMC
Old Apr 15, 2007, 07:50 PM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,601 Posts
Definitely upgrade your drive train. I recently finished a Midwest Cranberry Lobster Yacht which made a beautiful boat but the shaft, stuffing box combo with the kit vibrates and is very noisy. Nothing I can do about it now.
420TEE is offline Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Apr 15, 2007, 09:40 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,584 Posts
Excellent photos and build tutorial. Thanks for taking the effort to post here. It will help many, myself included!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Apr 15, 2007, 10:27 PM
Marysville, CA
Joined Jul 2006
57 Posts
Update...

Here are the lastest pictures. I have been working on this the last two weeks, after work and on the weekend.

One thing I suggest if you are building this or any boat like it: make sure the orientation of the frames that are visible from the cockpits. I inadvertently glued both frames for the front of each cockpit facing the wrong way. As this does not affect the construction (as they are symmetrical) it does affect the wood grain that is visible from the cockpits. I'm a little bummed that I let that happen, but I will have to make the best of it.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 12:14 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,091 Posts
Nice clean build so far! Keep up the great work!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:17 PM
Marysville, CA
Joined Jul 2006
57 Posts
Thanks for all the info...really helpful! No further updates in the last day or two. I've got the floors that need to be sanded to fit properly then put some primer and paint on them. Once they are fitted, it's time for the top subplanking--then the fun--finish the mahogany planking! Can't wait to see it all covered in wood!

I am currently researching alternatives in the way of propellers and running hardware; more to come later.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:50 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,584 Posts
Is the bottom and side sheeting the Expanded PVC that is being discussed right now in another thread about Dumas products?
Old Apr 17, 2007, 11:32 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,091 Posts
Hey Kmot! Yes, the subplanking on the 19' C*C is "sentra" (sp?)... So far, folks seem to be pretty happy with how it works in this application... I've only looked at it in the box for my 19' C*C kit but it looks like it is reasonable in thickness and should remain stable, shape wise-
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Apr 17, 2007, 11:46 PM
Aquamaniac
Deerwood MN
Joined Mar 2005
109 Posts
I finished my racing runabout 2 years ago and so far it's doing fine. Nothing has come loose and the seams are still as tight as new.

mcfly, your build is looking first rate.
D Anderson is offline Find More Posts by D Anderson
Old Apr 18, 2007, 06:56 PM
Marysville, CA
Joined Jul 2006
57 Posts
I will agree with Aerominded--the white "sentra" side planking is easy to work with and does hold shape well. It glues to wood with medium CA (as it calls for in the instructions) very well. Also, it is easy to trim for fit and sand.

D Anderson--your runabout looks great sitting on the water. Did you use fiberglass to finish off your boat? I am still deciding on what method I will use, as this is my first such boat and I have never had experience with fiberglass. I have heard of just using epoxy resin without the cloth or even a spar urethane product but I am not sure of the results obtained.

I read P.Tritle fiberglass thread and am amazed at the finished product. If anyone has other suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2007, 07:56 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,584 Posts
Anderson: yes, your boat looks great! You should post here more often.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 08:00 PM
Aquamaniac
Deerwood MN
Joined Mar 2005
109 Posts
I was reluctant to fiberglass since my backround includes full scale boats, but I followed Pat Tritle's "How to" and used a light cloth and WEST system epoxy. I finished with several coats of two part automotive clear. It polished up real nice. I haven't touched the finish except to clean off water spots since 2005.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 08:23 PM
Aquamaniac
Deerwood MN
Joined Mar 2005
109 Posts
Thanks Tom, I read most of what gets posted here and I find your videos splashed far and wide across the internet. My current project is the Dumas Continental and I'll probably start a build thread when I'm further along. Summers are short here in Minnesota and we spend them outside. I figured I could present progress like Pat's if I waited a year before starting the thread.