SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 15, 2007, 05:24 PM
Ottawa, Ontario
Joined Apr 2007
19 Posts
300 mw is considered safe at 6-8inches...(a cell phone)wich i think now are running on 2.5 GHZ range.The implant actualy works on low frequency ...8-15 Hz It`s not really the frequency that`s important but the output(watts) of the transmiter @ the antenna: the strongest point.
It can interfere with the monitoring function of the defribirlator/pacemaker wich it could interprete that my heart is going into cardiac arrest..
the result could be a wicked kick in the chest wich i want to avoid at all cost.
amogst other obvious reasons
i also cant understand what the big secrect is in telling us the consumer what the output is
like futaba cant figure out what spektrum is doing and vice versa
just need a straight answer
Fuzzbuster is offline Find More Posts by Fuzzbuster
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2007, 05:59 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Well, then I suggest you go with the XPS system and a decent radio. It will be a little more expensive, but at least you know you can set the power to to where you will feel safe. You can find used Futaba 9CHP radios for around $200, then anther $150 for the XPS module and receiver (as soon as they fix their web server to take orders). You could also look for used Futaba 8Uxxx Super radios which will give you all the swash plates modes as the 9C and really all the same programing, just with analog trims.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Apr 15, 2007, 07:13 PM
T-ride!, Co @ 9545' ASL
Joined Jan 2003
739 Posts
Just wanna mention that all Futaba 2.4 transmitters have a "General/France" switch that reduces power output to 10 mw. It's a "French" thing. :shrug:
RCheroske is offline Find More Posts by RCheroske
Old Apr 15, 2007, 07:26 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
If you want to fly helis get a JR 8103 or JR 9303 and the JR module from XPS. These JR radios have *much* better performance for CCPM than the Futaba 7xxx/9xxx series.
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Apr 15, 2007, 07:34 PM
Flying Fatboy
Tampa, FL
Joined Apr 2003
1,295 Posts
Fuzzbuster,

Don't take just anyone's word on this subject, look up a local board certified PhD Health Physicist. If you can't find one working at a local radiation therapy center, Google the AAPM (American Association of Physicists in Medicine) and get a link to e-mail someone with your question. These guys asess these risks all of the time for patients undergoing radiation therapy on a linear accelerator. True the frequency is different, however, they will still be able to give you a very informed opinion.

Regards, Bill
Gordito Volador is offline Find More Posts by Gordito Volador
Last edited by Gordito Volador; Apr 15, 2007 at 08:11 PM. Reason: spellin'
Old Apr 15, 2007, 08:56 PM
Joined Mar 2005
37 Posts
FUZZBUSTER
Do what I did when mine was implanted. Call the people that build your implant and talk to the engineers. Thats what I did and they said rc was no problem, just don't lay the transmit ant. on your chest. That was 6 years ago and I have been flying and buliding more than ever. I know when I first got this thing I was worried about everthing around me would cause a problem, but after 6 years of living with it I'll say its no big deal. Talk to the people that build your device to be sure.
Al Messer
VODOOFIXER is offline Find More Posts by VODOOFIXER
Old Apr 16, 2007, 09:53 AM
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,782 Posts
You can also find the real output of the equipment via the FCC web site and the FCC ID number on the back of the product.

XPS is "riding" the module vendor's cert. so their data should apply. Armed with this information, the folks that understand the defib. should be able to provide a clear answer.

Jim Davey
teamdavey is offline Find More Posts by teamdavey
Old Apr 16, 2007, 11:52 AM
Ottawa, Ontario
Joined Apr 2007
19 Posts
I really appreciate everyones input...
just a few things ...aren`t regular futaba..& .JR radios that run on 72 Mhz, output way more power than all the new 2.4 GHZ radios?
I went to the FCC site with proper numbers and cant really find TRUE output in mw for the radios i have ...or the radios i`m planning to change to..
and VODOOFIXER dont worry i`ve been in contact with the engineers @ MEDTRONIC
their just not farmiliar with new 2.4 GHZ technology and they also said that they would have to update their owners manuals after i help them figure out this new stuff.
I was thinking of sending them whichever new radios i decide to purchase and let them do tests with them.
You also have defib/pace?
has it ever gone off?
Old Apr 16, 2007, 12:09 PM
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,782 Posts
"I went to the FCC site with proper numbers and cant really find TRUE output in mw"

The test reports have the EIRP which I think is what you need since it repects the peak power. What is not clear is the impact of the duty cycle. This is the same issue that cell phones have with just about every thing and which worries the FAA.

I have seen how this can get into some servos at very close range so a real test by the manufacturer of the device might be the only solution.

Jim Davey
teamdavey is offline Find More Posts by teamdavey
Old Apr 16, 2007, 06:49 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,466 Posts
Talk to Spektrum!
It's in theirs and everyone else's interest to get a definitive answer to this question, which -will- come up again, and again.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Apr 17, 2007, 07:06 AM
4.2V of pure Kraut power
Germany
Joined Nov 2006
459 Posts
Some infos from a German thread where the power output of a US DX-7 was tested with professional equipment. The poster Frank T. works in the area of development of wireless 2.4 GHz appliances (read - he knows how to work the instruments):

EIRP (radiated): 30.5 dBm Tolerance +/- 1 dB
Power Spectral Density (radiated): 30.2 dBm/ MHz Tolerance +/- 1 dB
RF-Power (conducted): 550 mW Tolerance +/- 0.1 dB

That are peak power measurments, not average power, calc. in the DX duty cycle.

Source:

http://www.rclineforum.de/forum/thre...=149226&page=8
See the posting by Frank Tofahrn as of 30.3.2007
bzfrank is offline Find More Posts by bzfrank
Old Apr 17, 2007, 08:05 AM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
Quote:
...(a cell phone)wich i think now are running on 2.5 GHZ range.
Cant help you on your answer but cell phones actually use 900 and 1900 Mhz, not 2.4-5 Ghz. In your case it probably doesnt matter just wanted to clarify.
chrisf testpilot is offline Find More Posts by chrisf testpilot
Old Apr 17, 2007, 01:13 PM
Ottawa, Ontario
Joined Apr 2007
19 Posts
I thought that all new blu tooth ran in the 2.4-5 range
my bad!..
Old Apr 17, 2007, 02:17 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
Bluetooth does, so cell phones that have BT will have 2.4G emmissions. Cell phone carrier signals are on 900 and 1900, should have clarified that. Wasnt thinking about BT.
chrisf testpilot is offline Find More Posts by chrisf testpilot
Old Apr 17, 2007, 05:39 PM
Flt 76..N.bound..feet dry
Baltic CT, USA
Joined Dec 2000
263 Posts
I suggest you check with the ICD Device manufacturer

I also have a Pace maker / Defribrillator and this was a a bone of contention when it was installed in 2004. I had the doctors running in circles, thinking I would not have the device installed, if I couldn't fly any more. Actually I told them I would be very unhappy if I had to quit. Your question had me looking for the manual for my Medtronic ICD device. The answer for my particular device is no more than 3 Watts at a distance of no less than 1 foot. I have flown since April 2004 to present without a problem using the 72 MHz equipment I do use a neck strap and try to keep the antenna away from my body. I believe the 72 MHz power delivered to the antenna is in the order of 1 Watt. As an old EE I don't see any problem with the 2.4 GHz which has radiated power even lower than the 72 MHz equipment. For your own peace of mind check with your ICD device manufacturer.

The Doctor asked "how many RC planes I had?", When I said "14 including the one in the car trunk I had intended to fly at Noon-time". He asked "Why so many?" I asked him "Why his car only had one spare tire?"

Allen S
AllenS is offline Find More Posts by AllenS