SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 14, 2007, 07:29 PM
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Discussion
Lightflite Bug "heavy duty" landing gear.

Well kind of
I went with 1.5mm carbon fiber solid rod because that's the smallest HobbyTown had. I broke the stock setup which is .050, 1.5mm is about .062,
Very easy to construct following Ron's instruction. I want to go with a different tire setup. But at the moment I can't think how I could improve on the original tires. Maybe some kind of "tundra" tires. That's it! A Bush Bug equipped for Alaska. What about a soft sponge type tire that would hold it's shape? The plane is so light, a sponge tire might work. Gotta mod it somehow.
Scott_S. is offline Find More Posts by Scott_S.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2007, 08:20 PM
MKH
Ohio
Joined Mar 2000
2,597 Posts
Trexler balloon tires would look awesome, since the Bug is so comical looking as it is. They aren't puncture proof, but unless you roll over sharp rocks or broken glass, they hold up well. Good enough for a LazyBee, good enough for a Bug.
MKH
MKH is offline Find More Posts by MKH
Old Apr 15, 2007, 01:50 AM
Just Plane Fun
Yakima, WA
Joined Feb 2007
69 Posts
I replaced my original foam wheels with GWS 2.5" shock absorbing wheels. My foam wheels kept tearing out of the axle. They slip right on the .050 carbon rod axle. For the larger rod you are using you could ream them out a little.
jwilder1 is offline Find More Posts by jwilder1
Old Apr 15, 2007, 11:52 AM
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilder1
I replaced my original foam wheels with GWS 2.5" shock absorbing wheels. My foam wheels kept tearing out of the axle. They slip right on the .050 carbon rod axle. For the larger rod you are using you could ream them out a little.
I like the sound of that, I guess the weight was not a problem? After thinking about it for 2 seconds I thought it would be tough to replace the tires with anything as light, and you need to keep the Bug around 6.5 ounces.
I'll go ahead and order those GWS.
Thanks
Old Apr 15, 2007, 02:33 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
If you make them from EPE (Noodle board or packing foam), they may be about the same weight, but tougher, since the EPE doesn't have pellets.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Apr 16, 2007, 05:11 AM
Just Plane Fun
Yakima, WA
Joined Feb 2007
69 Posts
Mine's probably a bit heavier, but that's because I'm learning to fly again after a 35 year absence. It flies great! It takes off of grass within a few feet and I also just hold it by the canopy and let it fly out of my hand. I have another Bug kit that I'll build and fly later after I have mastered how to fly one. It's very throttle sensitive so don't wind it up and let go unless you are good at aerobatics!
Old Apr 16, 2007, 07:52 AM
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Quote:
Mine's probably a bit heavier, but that's because I'm learning to fly again after a 35 year absence. It flies great! It takes off of grass within a few feet and I also just hold it by the canopy and let it fly out of my hand. I have another Bug kit that I'll build and fly later after I have mastered how to fly one. It's very throttle sensitive so don't wind it up and let go unless you are good at aerobatics!
I just ordered the wheels, I'm not worrying about weight at this point either. The thing seems to have a ton of power. The CG is so easy to adjust with the LiPo, I'm going with the 3.5 inch CG. You may need to aim for the 3.5" too, anything further back will really make it lift up quick.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 12:51 PM
Just Plane Fun
Yakima, WA
Joined Feb 2007
69 Posts
I fly it with the battery as far forward as I can. I have broken my landing gear repeatedly, but at least it's easy to fix.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 04:09 PM
Joined Feb 2007
345 Posts
Did you try making the LG with a little heavier cf rod?
CitaFly is offline Find More Posts by CitaFly
Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:37 PM
Just Plane Fun
Yakima, WA
Joined Feb 2007
69 Posts
No, I figured that it was my lead pancake landings that were causing my problems. Next time I break it I'll try heavier rod. I'm getting better at flying it, it's neat to just float around and then be able to crank it up and try some aerobatics.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:18 AM
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Quote:
No, I figured that it was my lead pancake landings that were causing my problems. Next time I break it I'll try heavier rod. I'm getting better at flying it, it's neat to just float around and then be able to crank it up and try some aerobatics.
I have no experience with piano wire or music wire, I ordered some from Stevens Aero Model in .032, .045, .063, .093 to try it out. It should bend more and be more flexible. I may be wrong here but it's so cheap to buy.
That and my local Hobby Town does'nt keep the CF rod in supply at all.

I'm so anxious to learn to fly, but just lost our field here. The neighboring farmer got the local club evicted because pilots were flying way beyond the club's envelope and planes went down in the middle of his corn field (gassers) only to be run up his combine and damage his farm equipment. shame.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 01:09 PM
Joined Feb 2007
345 Posts
The problem with wire is that it will bend - cf rod springs back and will not; I have a thin LG setup with a SIG Jenny with wire and I have to sometimes bend ti back to shape.
CitaFly is offline Find More Posts by CitaFly