HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2007, 01:47 PM
Surprise, AZ
Joined May 2006
33 Posts
Discussion
Couldn't wait for SA Mudbug

Couldn't get Bill's Mudbug so did the next best thing and made a cross between his and a mini Lazy Bee.
I just finished it yesterday and took it out this morning for the first time and it is a great little flyer. It needed no trims and really surprised me how slow it would fly. The Diddle style wing really has exceptional lift.
I have attached a couple of photos. For what it's worth here a the specs:

WS - 28"
Length - 18"
Weight - 7oz
Motor - Park 250 BL
Battery - 700 mah LiPo
Wheels - Trexler 2 5/8

I have built all of the SA Diddle style planes several times over and fully intend to build their Mudbug --- They are great fun.
TERHUT is offline Find More Posts by TERHUT
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2007, 03:01 PM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
Heh! Heh!
OK, the fenders sold me! Do you have some plans, patterns or dimensions to share with us!

The looks are both comical and cute! You know the ladies will love this one. I am thinking pink wings and lavender fuse! Add a spinner and paint it and the prop yellow! Also some yellow polka dots! Oh Me! And a... Oh I can't say more. It will have to be a surprise!

I want to get started tonite!

Robert
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
Old Apr 14, 2007, 10:00 PM
Surprise, AZ
Joined May 2006
33 Posts
Robert, Sorry I don't have any plans. I don't document things very well when I build--Just draw the design out on paper,then trace that onto balsa.
Some additional specs I didn't mention in 1st post are:
Wing chord - 6 1/2"
Elevator - 13" X 4"
Vert Stab - 5" X 3"

You are right,my wife loves it--You can't see in the photos, but there are three windows on each side below the wings, ala Lazy Bees, that she wants to put pictures of the grandchildren in.

A wierd thing happened my last flight with it today--I heard this flapping noise coming from it at about 100 ft alt. It started to lose altitude so I brought it in. The little set screw that holds the motor in the mount had come loose and the motor was rotating hanging by the elec wires. One of them had broken but I managed to solder it together These little Park 250's are great--lots of power for the size.
Good luck if you try one----My theory on these little slow flyers is no warps, CG forward a lot initially, zero or slight decalage/incidence and keep the weight down. I ended up about an ounce more than I was shooting for but it still worked out OK.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 10:23 PM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
I can work with that but I need more info on the fuse side in profile. length of the sheet and the maximum hight between the wheels and the wing saddle. Oh, and the distance from the front edge of the sheet to the wing LE and front sheet to the wheel axle. I can do the rest.

Robert
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
Old Apr 15, 2007, 11:17 AM
Surprise, AZ
Joined May 2006
33 Posts
Robert, I was able to find my drawings of the fus. profile and the wing. If you want to post your address, I can send them to you. If you don't want your address out there, here are the measurements you wanted:

Wheel axle to wing saddle - 5 1/4"
Fuselage sheet length - 17"
Front edge of fuselage to wing leading edge - 2"
Fuselage width, widest pt. - 1 9/16"

I used my Spektrum DX 6 along with Thunderbird 10 Amp ESC

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Terry