SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 10, 2001, 10:31 PM
Profiled Interfractionalist
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
4,039 Posts
Where does this forum hide the 'cookies' on my drive ?

Don't know wether this is the place to ask, but here goes.

When I come back to a post that I've read days earlyer and after new post have been added, I dont see the new posts until I hit my browser refresh button. Very annoying and I might miss some good info also.
Even after deleting all files in my cookies/temporary directory, it still happens.
Anybody else have to do this ?, is there a fix ?.

Will
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2001, 04:38 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
That sounds more like cacheing than cookies though I'm surprised you say it still happens after you've deleted all temporary files.

Somewhere in whatever browser you're using will be a setting to do with how often it checks to see if there's anything new. In IE5 it's Internet Options/General/Temporary Internet Files, the "settings" button. If you set it to "Every visit" that may fix it.

If not then you may be connecting through a proxy server which helpfully caches things for you. Not much you can do about that I'm afraid other than keep hitting refresh.

HTH - Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Old Jul 11, 2001, 11:15 AM
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
4,039 Posts
Yes it is IE5.5 and I check those settings and it was at 'auto', now on 'everytime'. I will test for a few days and post back with results. Thanks.

Will
Old Jul 29, 2001, 01:49 AM
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
4,039 Posts
This is what I found.
My connection to the internet is with DirecPC(satellite), which uses a proxy type server. I've tried acouple of settings within their software with no luck. I'll live with it for now.