HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2007, 01:41 AM
Joined Mar 2007
31 Posts
Discussion
Carbon fiber vs kevlar (aramid) vs glass?

Hi, can someone enlighten me to the differnces and relative advantages of carbon fiber vs. kevlar (aramid) vs. fiber glass?

Is carbon fiber stiffer than kevlar but more brittle?

Anyone know of any good articles that explain these differences in simple terms?
icmartin is offline Find More Posts by icmartin
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2007, 01:46 AM
Throw Caution to the Wind
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Feb 2004
2,651 Posts
Not as complicated as it seems at first:

Carbon fiber is black.

Kevlar is yellow.

Fiberglass is white.

All clear now?

--Greg
Lavawing is offline Find More Posts by Lavawing
Old Apr 14, 2007, 02:05 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,838 Posts
Do a search and you will find what you seek.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Apr 14, 2007, 02:10 AM
Circle Jockey
A Sasquatch took my plane! Tujunga. Ca.
Joined May 2004
2,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavawing
Not as complicated as it seems at first:

Carbon fiber is black.

Kevlar is yellow.

Fiberglass is white.

All clear now?

--Greg
Professor Greg is seen here testing his latest composite LampSchtick.

D.S. is offline Find More Posts by D.S.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 02:17 AM
Throw Caution to the Wind
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Feb 2004
2,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.S.
Professor Greg is seen here testing his latest composite LampSchtick.
That was a composite construction of wood/tape/lampshade. Flew as good as it looked.

--Greg
Lavawing is offline Find More Posts by Lavawing
Old Apr 14, 2007, 07:42 AM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,876 Posts
Carbon has stronger fibers than glass and is good for applications where the fibers are in tension like on a wing spar or in a stressed-skin wing construction.

Kevlar is more flexible than CF and is often used to create live hinges. It doesn't tear easily so if you use it in your fuse, you will have a nice carrying bag for all of your radio gear after you auger in.
slopeiron is offline Find More Posts by slopeiron
Old Apr 14, 2007, 11:13 AM
Circle Jockey
A Sasquatch took my plane! Tujunga. Ca.
Joined May 2004
2,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavawing
That was a composite construction of wood/tape/lampshade. Flew as good as it looked.

--Greg
I thought the shades were kevlar

Dean
D.S. is offline Find More Posts by D.S.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 12:07 PM
Where's the wind?
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2004
5,850 Posts
I sell black glass. It doesn't fit your mold Greg.

Andrew
the_canuck is offline Find More Posts by the_canuck
Old Apr 14, 2007, 12:40 PM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,023 Posts
Think of kevlar like leather, carbon fiber like wood, and fiberglass like, uh, glass fiber.

Imagine sanding leather that's what it's like to sand kevlar. But it has great toughness and *relative* flexibility.

Carbon fiber is more rigid and sands well slopeiron has a perfect description of it's applications above.

Fiberglass is still my favorite. Not as flexible as kevlar but more so than carbon. S-glass is almost as strong as carbon in the same application (just as Target!). Epoxy likes glass more than it does kevlar and glass is much, much easier to cut. Fiberglass sands well.

They all have their place, obviously, but use glass until you get comfortable with the processes (curing times, wetting out, etc.). That will save you some $$ and probably some heartache.
Reed is offline Find More Posts by Reed
Old Apr 14, 2007, 09:42 PM
The lift is out there....
United States, WA, Reardan
Joined Jan 2005
522 Posts
My understanding is that Carbon has great compression/tension strength, kevlar has great surface strength (I am not sure what the correct term is but it is strong in a sheet against deflective forces which is why it makes good bullet proof vests and wing skins) and fiberglass is just a nice all around cheaper option.
barefootbass is offline Find More Posts by barefootbass
Old Apr 15, 2007, 01:54 AM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
Carbon is extremely strong in tension and compression and (most importantly) is by far the stiffest of the fibers. However, it is brittle, so the fiber's aren't as tough as kevlar or glass. This is very important, because composites have such a strong ultimate strength that they are usually designed more for stiffness than strength.

Bottom line: Carbon will give the stiffest, most flutter resistant wings, but isn't as tough as kevlar or S-glass.
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Old Apr 15, 2007, 02:42 AM
PWP!
USA, HI, Makawao
Joined Oct 2002
3,911 Posts
does it matter what the "wet out" medium is? Certain epoxies or polyester resins that really bring out the accoutremonts of the media?
ajroahkni is offline Find More Posts by ajroahkni
Old Apr 15, 2007, 03:27 AM
find me @samotage
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jul 2005
8,362 Posts
polyesters don't stick to exotic fibres so they are a bad choice. Vinylester will stick to kevlar, but if you are using these materials then IMO epoxy is best. As a general rule, carbon is good for wings. S-Glass comes in after carbon, though needs a heavier layup. Kevlar and S-Glass is good for fuzes as it is strong.

Note strength is different to stiffness. I.e. Carbon is stiff, but will fail after minimal strain (stretch) Kevlar ain't so stiff, but will take lots of strain, and will still be happy even after the matrix (epoxy resin) has failed.

Another thing to consider is the compatability of glues etc for the remainder of the build out and other aspects, i.e 5 min epoxy sticks better to an epoxy substrate then polyester, polyester eats polystyrene foam etc.

Sam,
who hasn't broken a kevlar fuz yet
samotage is offline Find More Posts by samotage
Old Oct 30, 2013, 01:34 AM
find me @samotage
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jul 2005
8,362 Posts
zombie alert.
samotage is offline Find More Posts by samotage
Old Oct 30, 2013, 02:32 AM
So Cal
Joined May 2008
2,633 Posts
I heard the only way to kill them is with a Jart.
flyzwell is offline Find More Posts by flyzwell