HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2007, 04:52 PM
Joined Apr 2007
138 Posts
Discussion
rc go-kart?

I'm thinking of buiding a rc go-kart, because I already had a few elektro cars, but wanted something else. now I bought a Nova Mega .12 engine (from serpent) and i'd like to build the car my self (the frame design and stuf like that)
. I think a go-kart like "car" will be handy, because real gokarts do not use diffs and shocks so I will only have to make a frame and something for the motor, transmission (or whatever it is called...) and the steering box and wheel suspensions.
what are the oppinions about this idea? (I'm not looking for the speed record or something but I enjoy making the things myself .)

Jacar
speedy-biker is offline Find More Posts by speedy-biker
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2007, 05:08 PM
Joined Jan 2005
2,308 Posts
I think that would be great! but if you need to look at one for refrence.Kyosho made one awhile back.Also you can use a pan car roller chassis there has been a member on here that has made one this way.I forgot that users screen name but i have a nitro pan car and i can post a pic of it.To give you an idea.
swheels is offline Find More Posts by swheels
Old Apr 13, 2007, 05:13 PM
Joined Apr 2007
138 Posts
great if you wanna do that. now I"m looking for a few good pix of the real chassis so that i can get an idea of what its gonna look like and what i need. (lost of aluminum...)
Old Apr 14, 2007, 05:38 AM
Joined Apr 2007
138 Posts
wel I have found the chassis that I'm gonna use as a example.
I think the engine will come in the middle whit two 80cc tanks at the sides and the rc stuff as far as possible to the front and atleast one break on the rearaxle and maybe two more on the front axles (like in the picture)
how thick will I have to make the rearaxle (I was thinking about 5mm steel)
I'm going to buy mugen or serpent race tires, but I'm still looking for a person or compagnie who can make my chassis (I don't know the english word for "frezen" )

Jacar
Old Apr 16, 2007, 03:57 PM
Joined Apr 2007
138 Posts
a few more pics of my insparations source
well as you can see the pics show the way real karts support their rearaxle and front axles and how the rear brakes look like (I'm going to try and make brakes that look pretty much the same )

grtz Jacar
Old Apr 18, 2007, 11:10 AM
Joined Apr 2007
138 Posts
well the hydraulic brakes will have to wait for a later project maybe (I think I will be using the machanical brakes from pat)
now I'm trying to figure the "drive" out. what would be better: belt driven or chain driven and what gear ratio will I have to look for? and whit how many teeth do I need for that???

grtz Jacar
Old Apr 22, 2007, 02:26 PM
Joined Apr 2007
138 Posts
I'm having troubles getting the design look right... when I scale it up it looks kind of wrong... I'm still trying it out but maybe I will take another design.
something like a brabham bt20 or bt24 or maybe a McLaren M7C.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 05:24 AM
Joined Apr 2007
138 Posts
In the big scale section I found a 1:2 scale go-kart, it looks really cool.
I send the "thread owner" a PM, in wich I asked for a few pics of the frame.
I hope he will have a few of them so that I can continue my own build.

Jacar