HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2002, 10:20 PM
Wexford, PA
Joined Mar 2001
515 Posts
Spam from Horizon Hobby

I have just received three pieces of spam whose headers make it appear that it either came from Horizon Hobby's system or is using addresses from their mailing list. I have forwarded the messages and headers to webmaster@horizonhobby.com along with a strongly worded response. I would hate to think that they have sold my email address to spammers or allowed hackers to penetrate their system and gain access to their mailing list.

Has anybody else had a similar experience? Below is one of the headers.

Jim Taylor

Subject: Affordable, professional email publishing for your business!

Received: from source ([63.122.170.94]) by exprod5mx17.postini.com ([64.75.1.245]) with SMTP; Thu, 17 Oct 2002 06:07:16 EDT
Received: from granger.centurytel.net [209.142.136.117] by emaildist.horizonhobby.com (SMTPD32-7.13 EVAL) id AAA217C014A; Thu,17 Oct 2002 05:02:10 -0500
Received: from ctn25172 (ppp0842.lr.centurytel.net [209.206.195.137]) by granger.centurytel.net (8.12.6/8.12.6) with SMTP id g9HA0Qsm005909; Thu, 17 Oct 2002 05:00:27 -0500 (CDT)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 05:00:26 -0500 (CDT)
Message-ID: <200210171000.g9HA0Qsm005909@granger.centurytel.ne t>
Subject: Affordable, professional email publishing for your business!
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="----------SA67OBW06J9MU6"
Precedence: bulk
Sender: air_html-owner@emaildist.horizonhobby.com
Jim Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Jim Taylor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2002, 11:25 AM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,410 Posts
I didn't get the same email that you did but I did get some spam type of email from someone that did have horizon hobby listed in the email address. That was about 6 - 8 days ago. I deleted it at the time so can't give exact particulars. It didn't appear to be something that Horizon would send out.
GBR2 is offline Find More Posts by GBR2
Old Oct 21, 2002, 10:13 PM
USA, CA, Martinez
Joined Feb 2001
1,668 Posts
Some one has probably hacked into Horizons' network. Did u tell Horizon? I'm sure they want to know. Someone in IS is gonna get an earfull over this.
mumblety-peg is offline Find More Posts by mumblety-peg
Old Oct 22, 2002, 04:46 PM
Wexford, PA
Joined Mar 2001
515 Posts
That was my first thought too. I forwarded all the messages along with all the headers to webmaster@horizonhobby.com which was the only contact address I could find. I'm a little disappointed that I haven't had a response from them.

Jim
Old Nov 04, 2002, 11:26 AM
Joined Nov 2002
1 Posts
Hi, Everyone!

I'm the Webmaster at www.horizonhobby.com, and this thread was pointed out to me by our Product Support Department. I thought I'd let you know about the situation that a lot of you experienced with the last newsletter.

First, a virus did go out with the last newsletter, and we are trying to find the source of the virus on our servers. The problem will be corrected before the next newsletter is sent out.

Viruses will often automatically forge email headers as they spread, so if you are receiving excessive spams listed as Horizon (or anyone else for that matter), it's likely not really from those sources. They were probably infected with the virus somewhere up the chain.

Most importantly, Horizon didn't sell anyone's email address to spammers. Our privacy policy is available in the footer of every page on www.horizonhobby.com, and it confirms this.

Just thought I'd let everyone know that we're sorry about the mistake and are working hard to fix it. I have read all of the emails that were sent to the Webmaster account as a result of this, and I understand everyone's inconvenience (I receive the Newsletter on my personal account at home and received the virus as well as extra spam mail).

If anyone has any further questions or comments about this, please feel free to mail webmaster@horizonhobby.com, and I'll address all of your concerns.

Thanks!
mtoler is offline Find More Posts by mtoler
Old Nov 04, 2002, 10:37 PM
Wexford, PA
Joined Mar 2001
515 Posts
mtoler,

Thank you for the response, however I think Horizon Hobby handled the whole situation badly. There is little excuse for a commercial operation to get a virus and send it out to their customers in the first place. There is no excuse for not informing the customers after it is discovered.

Fortunately my system was not infected by the virus, but I did receive the spam. I sent three reports to webmaster@horizonhobby.com and never received a reply. I never received any notice from Horizon Hobby that they had sent out a virus with the newsletter. I posted the notice here on 10/17 and your reply here on 11/04 was the first acknowledgment from Horizon Hobby concerning the problem. I think this shows a total disregard for your customers. Another RC vendor sent out a virus to their mailing list some time back, and within hours sent out a mailing to the same list informing them of the facts and apologizing for the incident -- that is how it should have been handled.

In light of Horizon's obvious shortcomings in computer security and uncaring attitude toward their customers after the fact, I think it may be time to reconsider where to do e-business.

Jim