HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2002, 09:40 PM
Phx AZ
Joined Oct 2002
6 Posts
To Power Pod or not Power Pod?

Anyone have good plans for a motor pod for a two meter sailplane? At the local hobby shop here in town, they have a shoulder like mount sitting on top of a gaser that can carry a sailplane up. How about something like that? I just finished a carl goldberg sophisticated lady I started years ago. The only thing keeping me from flying her is our 10 year old upstart has snapped and hit us in the legs one too many times!

I would consider building up a wing mount(or simular) system so I could power this one up. Im just not sure what would be the best way to go about it in terms of power and weight. I also dont want some nasty popstick-looking rig tearing up the wind over my wing! I would like to use as small a system as possible with the extra jeti35 amp controller I have.

She looks to be sitting in the range of 24-26 Ounces non-power RTF. Would 400 power pull her up? I would like to keep her a sophisticated *skinny* lady!
"We want skinny ladies gentlemen, not fat ugly ladies! Lose those skirts!"
Axon-Five is offline Find More Posts by Axon-Five
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2002, 12:43 AM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
power pod plans

I have power pod plans I can scan you if you would like them...They are for an 049 on a 2m glider....Send me a personal e-mail address... BrianSmith1@charter.net
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Old Oct 18, 2002, 02:56 PM
aka: Dances with Buzzards
TX
Joined Jun 2002
454 Posts
Bury a couple of can motors in the center of the inboard panels - then cover with some vacumn formed nacells (sp?) and you will have a trick looking ship. We had a club member who did just that with a Gentle Lady many years ago before e-flight was the rage - man... that thing took off straight up!!!
ICTHRMLS is offline Find More Posts by ICTHRMLS
Old Oct 18, 2002, 05:16 PM
York Electronics
Dallas Tx USA
Joined Apr 1999
2,505 Posts
You mean like this?

This is an CG Electra (basicly like the Gentle Lady). Two FAI Astro 05's, 8x4.5 props, 16 (very old) 600SCR cells. Went strait up - 10 seconds to soaring height.
Gary Warner is offline Find More Posts by Gary Warner
Old Oct 18, 2002, 05:17 PM
York Electronics
Dallas Tx USA
Joined Apr 1999
2,505 Posts
Another view...
Old Oct 18, 2002, 11:44 PM
aka: Dances with Buzzards
TX
Joined Jun 2002
454 Posts
That's The One!!

I reconize the plane but the pilot????? Well, lets say its been a few years since that pic was taken.......

With apologies to GW
ICTHRMLS is offline Find More Posts by ICTHRMLS
Old Oct 20, 2002, 04:31 AM
Phx AZ
Joined Oct 2002
6 Posts
Kool!

Very Kool idea! Brian went to the trouble of emailing me some plans for a pod though. So for now Im going to do that. This is something Im going to try soon.
Axon-Five is offline Find More Posts by Axon-Five
Old Oct 20, 2002, 02:28 PM
York Electronics
Dallas Tx USA
Joined Apr 1999
2,505 Posts
Ya, I think you have the right idea. I just couldn't resist posting that plane in this thread. It was way "kool" at the field, but the weight was a bit much for that airfoil. Not the most recommended mod if you still plan on long soaring flight.

Good luck with the pod and let us know how it works out.