Old Apr 12, 2007, 05:04 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2007
93 Posts
Help!
please help with my "problem after problem" problem

hi all
first problem (bear with me)...
i've gone bl not long ago, with the eflight park470 4100kv with 9t on a 'power' brand 1050mah dying lipo 12C cont. 20C burst with a eflight 20amp bl esc.... okie doh kie... my bl motor has been VERY smooth when turned my hand, smoother than my stock motor. well, it has been anyways... today after a flight, i rotate it by hand and it will stop rapidly. that flight ended in a hard landing because i was inverted when the low batt voltage cutoff came in and i didn't have enough power/headspeed/height to roll out safely to land. landed sideways on my skid. but i can't see that changing anything as no damage was done even to the heli (not even the main shaft was bent) because of the extremely low headspeed. besides, i've been in worst crashes before. however, when you plug in the power, everything is silky smooth again and i had another great flight. it will be silky smooth if i disconnect the motor also, this made me 90% sure it's probably having to do with brakes. however hard i check, i can't see a short in the motor wires causing this 'brake'... i also programmed my esc for brakes off (yes, i've double checked it and reprogrammed it). it's starting to get free'er again, adn the heli's still flying great. this is just mind bogling seeing there is a change.

secondly problem (last for this post).
last flight was in a drizzling condition, although it wasn't really rain, it's drizzling. and i did notice that the more cloud cover, the more likely the chances are for glitches with my futaba 7chp w/ stock rx running on ppm. i had about 3~4 on this flight alone. the heli just seem to studder for less than a split second kinda like the power was off for a very VERY short time. i've also recently changed my dd tail motor. after half a stationary roll to inverted and immediately a half roll to the opposite direction back to upright, the tail lost its hold. the heli spinned moderately like about 270 degrees by the time it got upright (it spun really fast in the beginning for like a split second and i assume the rest was due to the re-spooling of the motor and the inertia of the tailspin). i was actually really impressed myself as i was able to save it and did 'somewhat' a 'piroflip'... after that, i punched it up a few times, and yes, the tail's holding well, and for the rest of the pack the tail was holding well with my mild 3D. so... would you guys say that this is a glitch? it's kinda weird cuz i don't recall having a glitch affecting my tail. or did i get a bad dd motor? i did the water break in and have less than 5 flights on it. it is the 11.1v one.

thx in advance.
chopperdudes is offline Find More Posts by chopperdudes
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2007, 05:20 PM
victim of the system
Home of the Toledo RC show
Joined Jul 2003
2,486 Posts
Sounds as if though it is time to invest in a new motor ....classic symtoms of the motor going bad ...It is hard to say if the mags (or just 1 or 2 are losing it) or if you may have a winding starting to short out ..change the motor and see what happens ..with the tx and rx you are using I do not think it is a radio problem ..this is just my own opion ..Tom
TooTall is offline Find More Posts by TooTall
Old Apr 12, 2007, 05:32 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2007
93 Posts
but remember, i have no problem with it when the batt is connected OR if i disconnect the motor. i've only had the motor for about a week?! i doubt it's dead... i'm running futaba 7chp and stock rx. if the magnets are the problem or a short in the winding, wouldn't it do the same thing regardless if batt is connected or motor's connected?
chopperdudes is offline Find More Posts by chopperdudes
Old Apr 29, 2014, 09:44 AM
Georgia
Joined Jun 2007
637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperdudes View Post
but remember, i have no problem with it when the batt is connected OR if i disconnect the motor. i've only had the motor for about a week?! i doubt it's dead... i'm running futaba 7chp and stock rx. if the magnets are the problem or a short in the winding, wouldn't it do the same thing regardless if batt is connected or motor's connected?
"but remember, i have no problem with it when the batt is connected OR if i disconnect the motor"

This points to the ESC. There is a failure mode/"feature" in some ESC's
That might cause the problem. When you turn an outrunner motor by hand, you generate pulses. If these get fed back to the motor via the ESC, that can cause a brake effect.
chuck75 is offline Find More Posts by chuck75