SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 01, 2007, 01:27 PM
Im stupider than you!
Pekin Illinois
Joined Aug 2006
1,722 Posts
Thanks. I cant get the surfaces completely flat,the servos do not center well enough,No there is no binding,smooth as butter.Are you guys getting good results with the Tower servos?
rhondaward is offline Find More Posts by rhondaward
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2007, 01:37 PM
Severna Park, MD
Joined Jan 2006
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondaward
Thanks. I cant get the surfaces completely flat,the servos do not center well enough,No there is no binding,smooth as butter.Are you guys getting good results with the Tower servos?
I wouldn't worry much about not getting the surfaces completely flat (for aesthetics maybe) because the control surfaces are so big and their swings so large. And any tendencies to turn, roll, climb etc can be cured with slight trim.
Mine isn't "perfect", but it's a joy to fly.
I hope you ENJOY the fun of flying it, even if the joy of looking at it might be diminished by an un-flat surface.
Dave Smith is offline Find More Posts by Dave Smith
Old May 01, 2007, 01:44 PM
Im stupider than you!
Pekin Illinois
Joined Aug 2006
1,722 Posts
Yea,Im kinda thinking that in flight the air pressure might help to center/flatten the surfaces.I hope.I havent felt this kind of excitment/anxiety flying rc in years.I wish there was a "Bug" on my sim.
Old May 01, 2007, 01:59 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
On low rates it is really not hard to fly at all. And you won't need much throttle to fly and clim either.
If you have a servo that is running slow replace it. it is just not worth having a problem because of a slow servo. They don't heal with time!

f you do hand launch it make sure you have it going directly into the wind. A gentle breaze ( 1-2 mph) makes take offs and landings easy.
Mine took of from short grass on the maiden. At 1/2 throttle ( 2s packs) it was airborne and climbing out in a few feet.
Don't stress about flying it. If you can fly at all with ailerons you should have no problems on low rates. And remember expo is your friend!
Good luck and happy landings!
Wes
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old May 01, 2007, 02:06 PM
Im stupider than you!
Pekin Illinois
Joined Aug 2006
1,722 Posts
Wish I had expo. I learned to hover helis without it.I have rates WAY down,I guess if I cant keep from over controlling I could get one of those external expo devices.I flew aeilerons years ago when I had a couple 1/4 scale planes,Last few years have only flown helis and 3 channel park flyers,This might be "interesting"
Old May 01, 2007, 02:11 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
I think you will be fine. You are aware of going easy on the controls and that will help a bunch!
It also will turn just fine on rudder and elevator too. Nice and easy does it.
And it IS EPP so it is pretty sturdy!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2007, 02:33 PM
Im stupider than you!
Pekin Illinois
Joined Aug 2006
1,722 Posts
OH SWEET!!! I just had it out to show a bud,We have about 15mph steady wind and against my better judgment he got me to "taxi" it for him. Yep into the wind airbourne almost instantly! I was able to just hold it in a "kite" hover without any trouble! It seems quite gentle actually! I LOVE IT!! Just a tad of throttle into this wind holds it perfectly still.FUN FUN!
Old May 01, 2007, 02:41 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
Congrats!! Now you can get to know the plane and really have some fun!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2007, 02:53 PM
Im stupider than you!
Pekin Illinois
Joined Aug 2006
1,722 Posts
Yes! Now if the blankin wind would stop. I do see having to swap out the servos though,they are terrible! Also I have some slop in the rudder,seems to be coming from body flex mostly,Maybe Im just knit picking,I dont guess you could ever get "precise" with something this flexable. Do ya,all with the CC esc and "stock" bug motor get much cogging? Im getting a tad,on a 3s 350mah 20c,30c burst Apache.
Old May 01, 2007, 02:57 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
As you get used to it you will find that you are able to fly it in more and more wind. have flown mine now a good bit and I have flown with no problem in wind where the flag at the park we snapping in the wind.
Now I will say I have to stay on my toes then! But it will handle a surprising amount of wind.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2007, 03:03 PM
Im stupider than you!
Pekin Illinois
Joined Aug 2006
1,722 Posts
Yea,I can fly it into the wind now,Im just afraid to turn Its way to windy right now.But at least I can go fly my "kite" I mean Bug Actually Im putting it away for now,If I dont excersise some patience Im gonna break it messing around kiteing in this wind,alot of fun though.
Old May 01, 2007, 03:09 PM
Severna Park, MD
Joined Jan 2006
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondaward
Yes! ... Do ya,all with the CC esc and "stock" bug motor get much cogging? Im getting a tad,on a 3s 350mah 20c,30c burst Apache.
I'm using 2s 800mah Lipos, for smooth results with the "stock" stuff. The following note, from another thread, might be helpful with the cogging problem.

"When the motor is cogging back and forth like that it is usually caused by one phase being open or shorted in the motor OR a bad conection between motor and esc OR a bad esc.

The easiest way to test it is to hook the esc to a different motor or the motor to a different esc to test. That should tell you if its the motor or esc.

To be safe - re-solder ALL the conections on all the conectors between the motor and esc."
Dave Smith is offline Find More Posts by Dave Smith
Old May 01, 2007, 03:23 PM
Im stupider than you!
Pekin Illinois
Joined Aug 2006
1,722 Posts
Oh great,,Like an idiot I cut the motor lead wires to save weight,OOOPS,its insulated enamel wire inside.DOH! So I worked and worked to get a nice shiny clean surface of the wire,solder stuck great so I ASSumed I had good connection.Since I cant get it any better I will just live with it,its only for a second from dead stop
Old May 01, 2007, 03:33 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
Silly question here. but there is not any bare wire is there? If there is some wire exposed then if the wire would happen to touch another wire it can cause problems.

I am sure you made sure to use heat shrink tubing to cover the connections. Still I had to ask....
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2007, 04:05 PM
Im stupider than you!
Pekin Illinois
Joined Aug 2006
1,722 Posts
Oh no,I did it up all neat,I would resolder but I dont think I can get it any better.???? CC customer service tells me slight cogging on start up is normal on many cd rom based motors. On my Mamba Max I was never able to fully get rid of it.But that motor can draw up to 100Amps on start up,and battery limitations cause it,So CC tells me.??????