Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 25, 2007, 08:54 AM
Joined Feb 2007
345 Posts
So THAT'S why mine drooped!

I did notice that after I replaced the cf rod with the strap, it straightened out but not totally back to its original shape - less pressure with the strap than the rod.

Kudos to Lightflite for an elegant design.
CitaFly is offline Find More Posts by CitaFly
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2007, 12:20 PM
Im stupider than you!
Pekin Illinois
Joined Aug 2006
1,722 Posts
Dang it,,,Mail is sooo slow out here in the boonies.Maybe tomorrow.
rhondaward is offline Find More Posts by rhondaward
Old Apr 25, 2007, 02:47 PM
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitaFly
So THAT'S why mine drooped!

I did notice that after I replaced the cf rod with the strap, it straightened out but not totally back to its original shape - less pressure with the strap than the rod.

Kudos to Lightflite for an elegant design.
I know, I really like that strap!, The LHS never had it
I made mention of CA'ing the under grid cf rods, just read over
the manual: DO NOT CA , seems the CA will make the foam brittle
and allow it to shear. I used that wonderful UHU for foam (German product),
that stuff does not get brittle and will actually flow into the foam. Any UHU seam is stronger than the EPP itself. (but adds a little weight)
Scott_S. is offline Find More Posts by Scott_S.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 02:48 PM
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondaward
Dang it,,,Mail is sooo slow out here in the boonies.Maybe tomorrow.
rhonda, did you get the RTF or kit?
Old Apr 25, 2007, 09:06 PM
Im stupider than you!
Pekin Illinois
Joined Aug 2006
1,722 Posts
the kit,Im waiting on a replacement wing and elevon set.I have assembled the frame and landing gear.so far so good.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 11:59 PM
Im stupider than you!
Pekin Illinois
Joined Aug 2006
1,722 Posts
My custom red white and blue bug,making progress.Was still another slight defect in the wing,Ill just live with it.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 12:17 AM
Joined Dec 2006
14 Posts
Has anybody else had these defects?
OnTheMoment is offline Find More Posts by OnTheMoment
Old Apr 27, 2007, 12:27 AM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,510 Posts
Mine did too. looked like the blenderm might have made an impression in the foam.
But it was only cosmetic. The plane flies great!
1987tc is online now Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2007, 12:58 AM
Im stupider than you!
Pekin Illinois
Joined Aug 2006
1,722 Posts
The thing goes together quite easily,I do wish I would have shrink tubed the main rod before I glued though.Hope to have her ready to maiden tomorrow night,waiting for crystal for rx.Im an old 1/4 scale pilot with some heli experience,this is my first foray into 3d type flying.I have never used expo. my radio dosent have it.If I set up for really low rates,do you think Ill be ok? Any and all hints/advice appreciated,I even thought about setting it up elevator,rudder,throttle only,untill I learn to fly it well.???????????
Old Apr 27, 2007, 07:56 AM
Joined Feb 2006
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitaFly
Puzzled - what's the "1.5 size" Bug?
Enlarged Bug to one and a half size. Weighs about 18oz with 1200ma batt. and 400 geared brushless.Used 9mm epp and larger cf rod. Flies like standard Bug, only a little more stable in high alpha and hover.
wrugen is offline Find More Posts by wrugen
Old Apr 27, 2007, 08:20 AM
Joined Feb 2007
345 Posts
Thanks - I've been thinking of doing a larger version also - I assume looks exactly the same as the Lightflite Bug only bigger?
CitaFly is offline Find More Posts by CitaFly
Old Apr 27, 2007, 03:29 PM
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondaward
The thing goes together quite easily,I do wish I would have shrink tubed the main rod before I glued though.Hope to have her ready to maiden tomorrow night,waiting for crystal for rx.Im an old 1/4 scale pilot with some heli experience,this is my first foray into 3d type flying.I have never used expo. my radio dosent have it.If I set up for really low rates,do you think Ill be ok? Any and all hints/advice appreciated,I even thought about setting it up elevator,rudder,throttle only,untill I learn to fly it well.???????????
rhonda, what I found out real quick is I need a lot of room to learn to fly. I just joined an RC club and they have an awesome field, can't wait to get the key When I go next week hopefully, I'm gonna give just rudder and elevators a try. Many of my crashes have been mainly me trying to avoid trees and not knowing how to turn. When using ailerons it just slips and slides to the ground. I just found out you have to use opposite ailerons to level off , I thought the stick going to center position made the plane level . My advice: big open spaces!
Old Apr 27, 2007, 03:30 PM
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrugen
Enlarged Bug to one and a half size. Weighs about 18oz with 1200ma batt. and 400 geared brushless.Used 9mm epp and larger cf rod. Flies like standard Bug, only a little more stable in high alpha and hover.
How do you make the pattern for a 1.5 ?
Old Apr 28, 2007, 02:27 AM
Joined Feb 2006
347 Posts
I measured standard Bug at several critical points and enlarged by an extra .5. I tried to maintain the basic shape and construction methods. I did add some additional cf to support rear of wing. Ron from Light Flite says they have a double size Bug,but it was cut from Blue foam. I didnt have enough epp for a x2, thus the 1.5 Bug.
wrugen is offline Find More Posts by wrugen
Old Apr 28, 2007, 07:08 AM
Joined Mar 2004
194 Posts
Wrugen

Where did you get the 9mm epp foam ? I have a bug and just ordered a second one. I would like to make a 1.5 x bug but I do not know where I can get the foam.

thanks
ifoflyer
IFO FLYER is offline Find More Posts by IFO FLYER