HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2007, 06:22 PM
Joined Feb 2007
345 Posts
Great review!

I have over 100 flights now and it's still going great after many close encounters of the ground kind (although it does look "used") - I think the Bug re-defines what "tough bird" means.
CitaFly is offline Find More Posts by CitaFly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2007, 06:36 PM
"Have Glue - Will Travel"
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
Thanks very much boomer and Citafly!

It amazes me how many die-hard glow fliers at my club have asked about the Bug

Ronnie
dawnron1 is offline Find More Posts by dawnron1
Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:41 PM
Im stupider than you!
Pekin Illinois
Joined Aug 2006
1,722 Posts
I have to go to secluded spots,If I dont want to be bombarded with questions while flying! Especially when night flying, people usually say WHAT IS THAT? A ufo? How can a plane just hang there like that? etc. LOL
rhondaward is offline Find More Posts by rhondaward
Old Jun 20, 2007, 10:54 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
I get people that think it is a kite until I make a low pass and then go vertical!
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 12:46 AM
Im stupider than you!
Pekin Illinois
Joined Aug 2006
1,722 Posts
BTW, I maidened my Extra 260. While I pretty much putt-putted around to get the feel of the plane,I did pull her verticle a few times and even with only a 2s (800mah) the Bug motor seemed well up to the task Looking forward to trying a 3s. EDIT I was useing only a 6x4 prop,gonna have to do some experimenting to find the right size for this motor and plane.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 02:54 AM
Cincinnati Cin N.Knty, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
1,037 Posts
My Bug shipped today, thanks Ron for the great service.
chris8105 is offline Find More Posts by chris8105
Old Jun 21, 2007, 09:50 AM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,951 Posts
Boz, how did you get a 17" Bug? Still can't order a mini on the web site. Have my original Bug for over 1 year with hundreds of flights and still going!
peterv is online now Find More Posts by peterv
Old Jun 21, 2007, 11:38 AM
HongKong
Joined Jun 2007
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Smith
Nice work, HK!

Are you managing to keep your BUG inside the 20 foot fence? Or are you using that field you found by GPS and Google Earth?
I like the big field's by the sea were found on google earth, much more freedom to get to know the Bug, no pressure there ;-)

Honestly, i have'nt had the balls to try in the basketball caged court, the other day i went ready to try and their were two VERY playful huskie's (dog's) playing in the court chasing a white-ball, the "Bug" is just too white, ball shaped and bounce's............so i made the decision to go home.

I'm ready to try again, but leave for a 3 week holiday 2morrow! All i had time to do was test the "Bug" once and fly 2 batteries, the 3 week wait is going to be hard! And when i return i only have 1 week to fly again before going on yet another holiday for 1 week. Sad but true!

What can i do. For the first time ever, going on holiday seems like a chore!
Wish i could pack my bug, too late now! Maybe if i made my wife stay behind i could use the seat for my Bug!
rcsoaringhk is offline Find More Posts by rcsoaringhk
Old Jun 21, 2007, 11:51 AM
HongKong
Joined Jun 2007
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondaward
I have to go to secluded spots,If I dont want to be bombarded with questions while flying! Especially when night flying, people usually say WHAT IS THAT? A ufo? How can a plane just hang there like that? etc. LOL
Your so lucky to have quiet spots for your Bug, the quietest place i can find to fly has roughly 150,000 people within that 1 mile. I know it sounds hard to believe, but this is HK, is quite normal to be honest.

But i am lucky regarding answering questions, i dont get many!
People dont really speak english in that area, is a older area than most.
Maybe Ron should give me some slips of paper with "Bug" www.lightflite.com on them, haha.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 12:39 PM
In The Sorrano Triangle
El Dorado Hills, Calif
Joined Mar 2005
1,023 Posts
Peterv,
My "bug" is not of Rons design but from the same family type. I bought one of the BLACKWING 3DS like BOOMERACE did, only I got mine a couple of years ago. Since I started following this thread and seeing how much fun everyone was having I wanted to get the 17" inch one also. I had e-mailed ron and asked, serveral times on this thread, when they would be available To date, not yet. So what I did is take the BLACKWING 3D and scaled it down to the 17-18" range after Asking Dave at rc superpowers if it was ok. Since he has one in the works (later this year of course ) Dave doesn't want me to publish the plans or the build just yet.
Since you already bought the bug and the 17" isn't availabe, I would just trace the outline and scale it down to a similar size and go from there. If it is just for yourself then I see no problem with that. You can make it out of what ever foam you want, depron, epp, or blue foam, etc. I know for a fact that Bug owners have building skills and a brain in their head, so go for it>
jim
BOZINATOR is offline Find More Posts by BOZINATOR
Old Jun 21, 2007, 12:47 PM
In The Sorrano Triangle
El Dorado Hills, Calif
Joined Mar 2005
1,023 Posts
HK,
You can take your bug on your trip. The wife can wear it as a hat, and with that propeller spinning in the wind it will keep your eyes glued on her, instead of wander about. If you explain that to her, in that way, I know you can pull it off. If she get tired or over heated problem solved...rev it up to pull her along and cool her off at the same time
A REAL FASHION STATEMENT I WOULD SAY
jim
BOZINATOR is offline Find More Posts by BOZINATOR
Old Jun 21, 2007, 02:21 PM
Im stupider than you!
Pekin Illinois
Joined Aug 2006
1,722 Posts
LOL!!! Good one Boz! Yes where I live I could take a walk and be the only person in a 5 mile radius!! Yep Farm Country USA! EDIT I used to build 1/4th scale back in the day! Even stick builds are much easier nowadays with laser cut parts and CA etc. etc. You used to have to have "skills" to build something resembeling an airplane.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 02:42 PM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,951 Posts
Good idea Boz! If the Mini is not out soon may have to do that. Love the Bug! Mine is getting a bit worn out with all the motor changes and tree strikes in my yard. Wanted to order 1 of each when the Mini comes out.

Pete
peterv is online now Find More Posts by peterv
Old Jun 21, 2007, 05:16 PM
HongKong
Joined Jun 2007
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOZINATOR
HK,
You can take your bug on your trip. The wife can wear it as a hat, and with that propeller spinning in the wind it will keep your eyes glued on her, instead of wander about. If you explain that to her, in that way, I know you can pull it off. If she get tired or over heated problem solved...rev it up to pull her along and cool her off at the same time
A REAL FASHION STATEMENT I WOULD SAY
jim
I did use it to cool her while she was working at her desk the other day, but as for her wearing it, i dunno ;-)

Im going to take my tx with me so at least i can use reflex on my laptop, that should take the edge off somewhat, im sure i can find an "rc-aholics annonomus" some where, it is the UK after all!
Old Jun 21, 2007, 05:19 PM
HongKong
Joined Jun 2007
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondaward
LOL!!! Good one Boz! Yes where I live I could take a walk and be the only person in a 5 mile radius!! Yep Farm Country USA!
Sounds like a slice of heaven to me!
Never really been to the US.
A good rc country from what i can see, that and the UK.