HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2007, 02:45 PM
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Smith
You might try the FMS filght simulator to hone your skills and reflexes. FMS is a free download; and you can use an adapter cable to connect the Transmitter to your computer - the same transmitter you use with your BUG.

FMS is there for your practice sessions during rainy weather, at night, or whenever else you access your computer. The free download is at:

http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html
I just downloaded it 2 days ago Dave, thanks. I have an Esky 30.00 controller that is supposed to work with it. It even comes with a FMS dvd.
I was not aware I could use a DX6 with it.
Scott_S. is offline Find More Posts by Scott_S.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2007, 02:52 PM
Severna Park, MD
Joined Jan 2006
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_S.
I was not aware I could use a DX6 with it.
I can't from experience that a DX6 will work with it. But I can say I've used it with my Hitec Eclipse, Hitec Laser 4, and Plantraco Transmitters.
Dave Smith is offline Find More Posts by Dave Smith
Old Apr 24, 2007, 03:15 PM
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
.125 Carbon Fiber rod repair

I finally snapped the .125 cf rod in front of the prop. Man was it a tough one as I have bounced this plane 3 to 4 feet off the ground after a straight in dive. I wanted to go to the cf strap but lhs has zip so I bought another solid cf rod in .125, but decided to repair this one as it looked easy enough.
Went over to Lowe's to browse and over at the small hardware type stuff there are drawers full of odd things like bushings, grommets, brass this and bronze that, but also nylon bushings. I bought the smallest they had at about an inch long and close to .125 inch I.D., they are tough! Super tough!
I took a pair of pliers and a vise grip just to see how tough they are. Tuff.
Main thing is they are super light too, I'm going with CA and kicker after I trim the heat shrink back a tad on the rod. I'd love to find these in an "L",
"T", and a 45 degree. I ordered some from Air Dynamics about 3 weeks ago and have not heard a peep from them. Some of these online hobby suppliers seem to operate in a "gray" area. Win some, lose some. But I do think these small nylon bushings are handy to keep around, just a thought.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 03:25 PM
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Smith
I can't from experience that a DX6 will work with it. But I can say I've used it with my Hitec Eclipse, Hitec Laser 4, and Plantraco Transmitters.
Hi Dave, I think the Esky will be worth the money, I found several on the web who never regretted buying it. I don't care so much about quality as much as getting my thumbs trained. I got to thinking about it and my RC time has been with a CX2, pretty much when you get in trouble with it you cut the throttle. Driving a car or truck, same thing, trouble pops up and you're off the gas. When I fly the Bug, same thing, as soon as I get in trouble I cut the throttle. Before I realize it's too late I'm in the ground. People say get 3 mistakes high. One said get about a hundred feet off the ground. If I did this the plane would have been totally destroyed. I get about 10 to 20 feet off the ground and try to turn. This way it does'nt have far to fall and do any significant damage. If I was to get this plane up over 50 feet and it goes upside down, it's over. I keep it low.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 05:25 PM
Joined Feb 2007
345 Posts
Scott - that's a great way to splice cf rod - a very good fix!
CitaFly is offline Find More Posts by CitaFly
Old Apr 24, 2007, 05:28 PM
Joined Feb 2007
345 Posts
I had an interesting event this AM - my motor came out of the motor tube in air! Needless to say, an interesting event. Luckily no damage, just some twisted wires; the Bug floated down easily, so no damage at all.

The moral: Take a look at the motor mount and make sure the bolt is really snugged down.
CitaFly is offline Find More Posts by CitaFly
Old Apr 24, 2007, 05:37 PM
"Have Glue - Will Travel"
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
Hi Joe,

GREAT review on the Bug!!

Ronnie
dawnron1 is offline Find More Posts by dawnron1
Old Apr 24, 2007, 06:15 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,522 Posts
I have to say as I fly the Bug more and dial it in and get used to it the more I like it!

It just does not seem to have any bad habits! Landings can be super slow but still steady.
And wind is just not an issue so far. It just penetrates the wind and keeps on flying. And is still fun to fly in the wind. Some planes I have had "could" fly in the wind but it was not fun.
Wes
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2007, 07:00 PM
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
I think the best repair of the original is to stay with Ron's idea, a .125 solid carbon fiber rod with heat shrink on it, second would be citafly's 5/16 inch cf strap continued on over the wings. Anything else is just pure patching but's that's Ok too

What do you guys think this is? Check out the wingtips. I have crashed dozens of time and even have UHU and Number 2 glues running almost the full length of the wing, but these tips seem to be dropping. I'm gonna take a hair dryer to them and see if they'll want to go back to their original shape.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 09:20 PM
Joined Dec 2006
14 Posts
I'm a convert from big slow rudder/elevator and elevon sailplanes. I grew up in a rural area where space wasn't a concern and I was very financially limited. Now I live in an apartment and have a little more money but little space to fly 'em.

I bought a motor/esc/battery and a charger recently and converted a Gentle Lady and then a Zagi but a small indoor plane that could fly in my parking lot has become desirable and all you guys raving about this thing has convinced me. I'm buying one tonight so wish me luck and the reflexes to fly this thing...thanks for all the info guys!
OnTheMoment is offline Find More Posts by OnTheMoment
Old Apr 24, 2007, 09:29 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,522 Posts
If you set it up on low rates there is nothing to be worried about. it is easy to fly.
On low rates the plane is a baby. And on high rates it is a lot of fun!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 24, 2007, 11:33 PM
Joined Dec 2006
14 Posts
I ordered it, it had better work like you guys say it does!
OnTheMoment is offline Find More Posts by OnTheMoment
Old Apr 25, 2007, 12:04 AM
Im stupider than you!
Pekin Illinois
Joined Aug 2006
1,722 Posts
I hope my stuff comes tomorrow,Im itching to get started.
rhondaward is offline Find More Posts by rhondaward
Old Apr 25, 2007, 07:36 AM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,522 Posts
Well I can say from experience that once you get started you are almost done! You will spend more time waiting on the glue to dry then building!
I had mine ready to fly the same day I started it.
As a matter of fact I did fly it the same day!
Read and understand the directions before hand and it will be an easy build.
Wes
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2007, 08:29 AM
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Hey guys, in reference to my "wing tip droop" in post #69, I found the cause. When the prop guard breaks as mine did and I cut it off about 2 inches from each end to splice in a new piece, it will suck the tips down under pressure. The bottom grid was made including the prop guard so when the guard breaks the under grid wants to "relax". Also the little nylon bushings I used are too thin, and I think the CA with kicker attacks them a little. They both broke during my usual landing this morning.....a nose dive .

You'll see just how much pressure there is on a .125 inch piece of solid carbon fiber rod when you go to bend it into a horseshoe. I love that carbon fiber though, awesome technology

Back to the wingtip droop, when the slice broke this morning at both places, after I got home to look at my daily ritual (read repair), I could grab both end pieces and slightly move them in or out, each small movement will make the wingtips droop more or make them perfectly straight. Keep in mind there is a straight cf rod running the width of the plane all tied into this under grid. It's amazing how much pressure this is under but it helps protect the plane in crashes. I can definitely verify that , I'm gonna take a razor blade and cut along the stress points. That will let it ralax and then I'll CA it back down. Sorry for the long winded text. Hope it helps someone.