SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 22, 2007, 09:23 PM
Severna Park, MD
Joined Jan 2006
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondaward
So,it looks like alot of you are substituting c/f band for the main frame,should I?
I've given my bug some pretty serious crashes during its hours and hours of FUN flying, but the front arc frame has never broken. The joints (plastic sleeves) that join the arc of CF to the straight CF at the front of the EPP have separated during impact. And they were fixed by wrapping the joints with heavy thread and touching with CA. In fact a couple of crashes were severe enough to tear the EPP of the main wing (quick repair job with glue). But none of the crashes broke the CF front arc.

So I'm not convinced that substituting a CF band is appropriate until the unlikely time that you need it to repair a break. The BUG, as designed, is more rugged than any other model I've flown. There's no way a balsa model would take the beating this gem endures. It's a champ!

BTW, all the crashes were MY fault, not the BUG's fault. Each one was the result of expanding my piloting skills with more daring maneuvers. I'm already a better pilot; and the faithful (patched-up) BUG continues to give me the joy of flying.
Dave Smith is offline Find More Posts by Dave Smith
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:12 AM
Im stupider than you!
Pekin Illinois
Joined Aug 2006
1,722 Posts
Thanks for the info.I have attached a pic. of the small defect in the wing I recieved.Im very happy still, Rons customer service is OUTSTANDING!!! I understand an occasional defect slips through. But get this,,,The guy donates his scratch and dent stuff to high school science programs! KUDOS RON!!! And on top of that,he sent me a RX and servos,before I have even paid for them! Top-notch outfit!
rhondaward is offline Find More Posts by rhondaward
Last edited by rhondaward; Apr 23, 2007 at 12:22 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 09:10 AM
Joined Feb 2007
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Smith

I'm not convinced that substituting a CF band is appropriate until the unlikely time that you need it to repair a break. The BUG, as designed, is more rugged than any other model I've flown. There's no way a balsa model would take the beating this gem endures. It's a champ!
I agree with Dave - I love to tinker and the bug affords me endless tinkering opportunities.

I also second the rugged comment - as I get more adventuresome with low level flying (= 5' off the deck) the margin for error decreases quickly - looping at 5' is a real head rush. After about 20 hours flying time, the only stress points that show wear are the points where the LG meets the body - I reinforced the sides with cf strap and no problem.

As a side note, my wattmeter readings with a 2 cell came in at about 6.8 amps, with a 3 cell 10 amps with the initial burst about 10.5 amps - this with the 10x6 GWS prop.
CitaFly is offline Find More Posts by CitaFly
Old Apr 23, 2007, 09:12 AM
Joined Mar 2004
194 Posts
I flew my bug for the third time today. MY son stopped by and flew it. We both love the plane. However it does not fly as slow as the IFO. I have flown the my IFO'S for hundreds of hours and the covering gives the IFO a slight curvature on the bottom so it can fly slower at a less angle of attack. The bug is more ridged and seems to track better. I fly at a ball diamond and the white is starting to turn brown. I am going to order a second one.

IFOFLYER
IFO FLYER is offline Find More Posts by IFO FLYER
Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:18 AM
Yes, right there.
Comox, BC, CAN
Joined Jul 2003
581 Posts
Good thread!
Does the rudder induce a lot of roll with your guys' Bugs? Or is it just mine? :-p
SpleenRippa is offline Find More Posts by SpleenRippa
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:42 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
My Bug kit arrived today. Verry fast shipping. There was several areas of damage to the foam though. Just cosmetic so I will use it as is. Nothing major at all. Looking forward to getting to fly it.

Wes
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 1987tc; Apr 23, 2007 at 12:50 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 04:01 PM
Joined Feb 2007
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987tc
My Bug kit arrived today. Verry fast shipping. There was several areas of damage to the foam though. Just cosmetic so I will use it as is. Nothing major at all. Looking forward to getting to fly it.

Wes
Make sure to use low rates and exponential when you first fly it - it's very sensitive.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 04:11 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
You betcha! I love computer radios!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 02:52 AM
Joined Feb 2006
351 Posts
Glad to have the chance to talk about the Bug. I have 5! 3 standard 1 1.5 size and 1 waiting to be built. I fly indoor and because of my lack of skill and the aggresive nature of my flying buddies I find several Bugs allow me to fly now, fix later. I broke front carbon and repaired it by using a sleve made from a carbon pushrod left over from my 1/4 scale days.Also when I broke landing gear fiber i used alliuminum tube as a sleve. I often flew my 2 ifos(1standard 1 mini) But perfer to fly the Bug. I think the Bug is more perdictable if somwhat faster. Expo is a must ,but 2 foot loops are fun
wrugen is offline Find More Posts by wrugen
Old Apr 24, 2007, 08:12 AM
Joined Feb 2007
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrugen
Glad to have the chance to talk about the Bug. I have 5! 3 standard 1 1.5 size and 1 waiting to be built.
Puzzled - what's the "1.5 size" Bug?
Old Apr 24, 2007, 08:14 AM
Joined Feb 2007
345 Posts
I switched to a GWS RS 10x4.7 prop and found it allowed me to penetrate a breeze better - has anyone else tried different props and with what results?
Last edited by CitaFly; Apr 24, 2007 at 08:14 AM. Reason: More details
Old Apr 24, 2007, 11:20 AM
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitaFly
I switched to a GWS RS 10x4.7 prop and found it allowed me to penetrate a breeze better - has anyone else tried different props and with what results?
I was thinking about trying one that is less aggressive. The throttle is so sensitive, I am either in a dive or going straight up. I'm in a tall grass field now. So I'm launching out of my left hand and throttle up with my teeth , I look like them pros on the videos for about 2 seconds. Ain't nobody who ever tried this hobby sucks as bad as me. Can't be. I'm so bad that when I get the plane in trouble, my common sense knows I need to apply throttle to come out of a dive, but my left thumb will instantly cut the throttle full back in a heartbeat, by then it's on the ground. Amazing.
Scott_S. is offline Find More Posts by Scott_S.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 12:11 PM
Joined Feb 2007
345 Posts
Most of the time I'm flying at half throttle - things happen very quickly at wot. My rule is the higher I go, the more throttle I can give it as I have more room to recover.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 01:21 PM
Severna Park, MD
Joined Jan 2006
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_S.
...I'm so bad that when I get the plane in trouble, my common sense knows I need to apply throttle to come out of a dive, but my left thumb will instantly cut the throttle full back in a heartbeat, by then it's on the ground. ...
You might try the FMS filght simulator to hone your skills and reflexes. FMS is a free download; and you can use an adapter cable to connect the Transmitter to your computer - the same transmitter you use with your BUG.

FMS is there for your practice sessions during rainy weather, at night, or whenever else you access your computer. The free download is at:

http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html
Dave Smith is offline Find More Posts by Dave Smith
Old Apr 24, 2007, 01:55 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
I have now flown 3 packs out on my Bug. What a great flier! I started out with the controls mild. I now have the elevons maxed out. Rolls nice and loops good. No bad habits and no problem in a decent breeze.
Still some fine tuning to do. But I can already see it is a great flying plane.

Wes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.