HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2007, 05:46 PM
Severna Park, MD
Joined Jan 2006
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitaFly
Curious about ... the rudder - can you elaborate?
My bug turns much tighter turns with the rudder than with elevons-only. AND it's easy to taxi on the ground with rudder control - tough without a rudder. With the rudder I can make a nice soft landing, taxi around and take off easily in the cul-de-sac without having to approach the plane.
Dave Smith is offline Find More Posts by Dave Smith
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2007, 06:49 PM
Joined Feb 2007
345 Posts
I always hand launch so not an issue for me - turning with the rudder should almost get you to turn the Bug on its axis!
CitaFly is offline Find More Posts by CitaFly
Old Apr 18, 2007, 05:56 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2005
1,752 Posts
Rudder adds another dimension to control. Do not think you can get the most from your plane or become a good pilot without it.
lammy1000 is offline Find More Posts by lammy1000
Old Apr 18, 2007, 06:51 AM
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Quote:
Curious about your comments on the rudder - can you elaborate?
I really should learn to fly before I open my mouth. I made the "no rudder" comment because the planes I like are planes like the Modelaero Aerosport, HL Firebird, Aerocat, Stryker, etc......these planes have no rudder.

I just had a thought on the no rudder as being a good "elevon" trainer.

I have used the rudder on take off, I just wish my flights were longer than
3 seconds

I have my Bug ready to go now, just waiting for the wind to die down and
be off work.
Scott_S. is offline Find More Posts by Scott_S.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 08:36 AM
Joined Feb 2007
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammy1000
Rudder adds another dimension to control. Do not think you can get the most from your plane or become a good pilot without it.
I would agree with that - I do flat spins with left rudder and right ailerons. I'm just scratching the surface on what's possible.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 10:08 PM
Im stupider than you!
Pekin Illinois
Joined Aug 2006
1,722 Posts
Hopeing mine gets delievered tomorrow.
rhondaward is offline Find More Posts by rhondaward
Old Apr 20, 2007, 01:10 AM
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondaward
Hopeing mine gets delievered tomorrow.
Have fun!
Old Apr 20, 2007, 10:59 PM
Im stupider than you!
Pekin Illinois
Joined Aug 2006
1,722 Posts
Mine arrived today.Ron is quite helpfull.Mine arrived with a wing malformation.But hes gonna have a replacement out tommorrow! Nice to be able to contact a distributor/maker directly!! My only "small" gripe is,,I understood I was ordering the newest version of the kit,with had prebeveled surfaces,Mine dosent.No biggie though,Its just that this EPP is a pita to cut.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 07:56 AM
Joined Mar 2004
194 Posts
I flew my bug for the first time this morning. I flew for a few minutes and landed it softly on the ground infield of a ball diamond. I could not believe it. The landing gear rod broke where it is tied to the front crossrod. It was a very soft landing. It seems to fly easier than the IFO'S I fly ( I have 8 flying ). Left and right circles are smooth and level. I did not try much since the rod broke. I will replace the rod and try again. So far I like the bug and will probably get a second one. It might be a good plane to teach my grandson to fly.
IFO FLYER is offline Find More Posts by IFO FLYER
Old Apr 21, 2007, 09:06 AM
Joined Feb 2007
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondaward

It's just that this EPP is a pita to cut.
A hint: I used two metal rulers above and below where you want to bevel - use a new razor blade and cut with a sawing motion - quick and a nice cut.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 09:12 AM
Joined Feb 2007
345 Posts
I finally broke my landing gear - I was thinking about this mod so I did it. Basically it's a piece of cf rod bent around the prop in the vertical axis. This eliminates the LG while protecting the motor from impact. You should reinforce the sides of the body to limit side forces.

If I had to do it over again, I'd use thin cf strap instead - cf rod under a bend like this will splinter but strap will not - next time!
Old Apr 21, 2007, 06:21 PM
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Quote:
I finally broke my landing gear - I was thinking about this mod so I did it. Basically it's a piece of cf rod bent around the prop in the vertical axis. This eliminates the LG while protecting the motor from impact. You should reinforce the sides of the body to limit side forces.

If I had to do it over again, I'd use thin cf strap instead - cf rod under a bend like this will splinter but strap will not - next time!
I just got my GWS 2 5/8" Ultra Lights (shock absorbing), they look to be about perfect for the bug, the wheels actually bend in a little with any pressure so it ought to take some shock off the carbon fiber LG, we'll see.
Last edited by Scott_S.; Apr 21, 2007 at 06:30 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 06:29 PM
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFO FLYER
I flew my bug for the first time this morning. I flew for a few minutes and landed it softly on the ground infield of a ball diamond. I could not believe it. The landing gear rod broke where it is tied to the front crossrod. It was a very soft landing. It seems to fly easier than the IFO'S I fly ( I have 8 flying ). Left and right circles are smooth and level. I did not try much since the rod broke. I will replace the rod and try again. So far I like the bug and will probably get a second one. It might be a good plane to teach my grandson to fly.
That original CF rod is .050, see this link for the next step-up in strength,

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671884

I went with a 1.5 mm cf rod which measures .062, I'm not concerned with any extra weight and marked off the 3.5 inches from the front edge for the CG where Ron recommends for beginners. Hope to try it out early Monday morning. I can't wait to actually be able to fly this thing
Old Apr 21, 2007, 07:08 PM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,950 Posts
Scott, those are the wheels I use. Work great! Used standard wheel collars.

Pete
peterv is online now Find More Posts by peterv
Old Apr 22, 2007, 05:47 PM
Im stupider than you!
Pekin Illinois
Joined Aug 2006
1,722 Posts
So,it looks like alot of you are substituting c/f band for the main frame,should I?