HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2007, 10:27 AM
Joined Feb 2007
345 Posts
Added lipo info

Glad you guys liked the video!

I am starting to use high rates and the difference is VERY noticeable - so much so that I strongly advise when switching to high rates that you do it at altitude. But what a difference!

After I get some experience I'll do another video - incredible what you can string together in such a small flying space.

Re lipos: I am using ThunderPower 2 cell and 3 cell 910 mah - these are very nice packs - good flying times and the 3 cell has a nice kick to it; not too much weight either - 3 cell weighs 2.2 ounces.
CitaFly is offline Find More Posts by CitaFly
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2007, 11:25 AM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
On High rates is where the Bug gets REALLY fun! It will roll verry quickly and whats nice it stops right when you want it too. I have 68 flights on mine. Low rates are good. High rates are GREAT! You video person will have to be on the ball then!

I had a bird make a couple of runs at mine the other day. But the bird soon realized that was a bad idea! No danger of hitting the bird but it sure was surprised!

One thing I like to do is after take off go vertical and accelerate while rolling fast. looks cool and is easy to do.
The plane still has no bad habits even on high rates.
Wes
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old May 03, 2007, 11:51 AM
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
I can't even think about high rates yet. This morning I got inverted and sure enough.....crashed. I have crashed this plane so much it's pathetic, but it still flies like new. Unbelieveable. I flew 4 lipo packs this morning and in about 5 to 8 mph winds (breeze). It's flying so awesome though. I fly by at about 8 feet over my head and off to the side a little and it's so neat to hear that prop and watch the elevators and ailerons work, so neat to be in total control of the plane like that. I hand launch into the breeze and it takes off like a kite in about 3 feet!!!.

On the Eflite 2 cell 800 mAh lipos, you can tell they're a tad heavy so just adjust your CG where you want it. I take Ron's advice on the beginner CG and keep it about 3.5 inches from the front edge. I really like that CG. Run time is a tad longer too, hard to tell when you're having so much fun
I run till I have no decent prop thrust left.

I love landing I did notice there was a ground effect thing going on this morning I guess due to the breeze. I get all lined up, keep wings level, and try to float it in. At about 6 feet I can high alpha the thing right before touch down.......problem is I'm still 6 feet high and it plops down
Landing in themselves are addicting. I never thought it would be so much fun to attempt a landing but it's a blast. Need more lipos!!!!!!!!!
Scott_S. is offline Find More Posts by Scott_S.
Old May 03, 2007, 07:58 PM
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
New tires on the Bug: Wish they were a little taller. The hub is nice and thick eliminating any wobble. The Ultra Light Shock Absorbers have a thin hub, more wobbly but I'll try them out too sometimes.
Old May 03, 2007, 08:02 PM
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
This is the original prop. If you had witnessed any of my flying you would be more amazed then me Gotta love that prop guard I just wish I had a good fix for it. I think I'll order the CF strap that Citafly uses.
Old May 03, 2007, 08:13 PM
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Over all, this plane is in really good shape. I thought I had a stripped gear in the rudder servo but it turned out I never. The flex is in the EPP itself from where I pick the plane up all the time by its vertical fuselage cockpit area, making it kinda spongy. I'm going to see what Ron would recommend I could brush on the EPP to stiffen it up some, possibly some CA then spray some kicker on it, not sure about that one.

You guys were right all along about getting up 50 feet where one can recover from a mistake (or two). I was afraid of going that high in the very beginning, afraid I'd pulverize it in crash dive.

One tuff bird for sure
Old May 03, 2007, 11:52 PM
Im stupider than you!
Pekin Illinois
Joined Aug 2006
1,722 Posts
Are you flying it without the front hoop? Looks like you could just splice a new one in. I had mine inverted quite a bit tonight,other than control reversal it flys just like it does right side up. Only strange charicteristic I have noticed is like Citafly mentioned,"going into the wind a slight dive becomes a screaming fast dive very quickly!" Also find mine needs some down trim, wish I would have put a couple degrees down thrust into it.
rhondaward is offline Find More Posts by rhondaward
Last edited by rhondaward; May 03, 2007 at 11:59 PM.
Old May 04, 2007, 09:08 AM
Joined Feb 2007
345 Posts
I agree with Wes on high rates - I can't believe how quickly you can make things happen - rolls, loops, stall, flat spins - it almost looks like the Bug is out of control.

I find that with low rates it's almost like a ballet - everything slows down and you can do leisurely rolls, loops, figure 8s, whatever at a rate where you can choreograph it; with high rates, it's like the "Flight of the Bumblebee" - frenetic would be a good way to characterize it.

I can see at high rates why the Bug would make a good combat plane.

Best battery pack so far: ThunderPower 910 mah 3 cell - long flight times and plenty of power when you need it. The Bug at 100 feet is quite a sight.
Old May 04, 2007, 09:13 AM
Joined Feb 2007
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_S.
You guys were right all along about getting up 50 feet where one can recover from a mistake (or two). I was afraid of going that high in the very beginning, afraid I'd pulverize it in crash dive.

One tuff bird for sure
I found the best way (for me) to recover is to throttle back and slow things down - the Bug decelerates quickly and gives me time to correct more easily.
Old May 04, 2007, 09:34 AM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
It sure makes a good take with you go anywhere plane! I find that if I go anywhere I take the plane. I just hang it from a coat hook in the back of the car.
It is just so handy for that. And does not take up much room. Then if I happen to run across a promising spot I grab it plug in the pack turn on the transmitter and fly!

I now have 71 flights on mine.
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old May 04, 2007, 03:11 PM
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitaFly
Best battery pack so far: ThunderPower 910 mah 3 cell - long flight times and plenty of power when you need it. The Bug at 100 feet is quite a sight.
What kind of times are you getting with these? How's the weight?
Thanks
Old May 04, 2007, 09:55 PM
Im stupider than you!
Pekin Illinois
Joined Aug 2006
1,722 Posts
I dialed up the rates today,WOW!!!!! The Bug has bitten me Im getting about 13 minutes on the 800mah 2s and about 8 on the 350mah 3s. I dont like as well on a 2s.As for durability,I was doing an inverted pass at about 10ft. when instead of rolling out,I gave full "up" to half loop (tuck) out,OOPPPSSS Not enough altitude Slammed in!! Walked over,looked er over,tossed her right back up! SWEET!!!!! Thats when I upped the rates,bet it will loop out now! Expo.????? Need no stinkin expo.
Old May 05, 2007, 10:34 AM
Joined Feb 2007
345 Posts
The TP910 weighs 2.2 ounces - I move it back about one inch from the front. As to times, usually something like 15-20 minutes - depends on how aggressive you get with the throttle. I don't doubt that slow-flying you could get maybe 30 minutes out of it.

Here's a simple formula to estimate flight times:

flight time = (battery mah * .06) / motor amps

The tricky part is estimating motor amps - you don't run flat out all the time (at least I don't) so you use an average - at wot the motor is pulling something like 9 amps; maybe an average of 4 amps (about half throttle) during the total flight:

flight time = (910 * .06) / 4 = 13.7 minutes
Last edited by CitaFly; May 05, 2007 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Add formula
Old May 06, 2007, 10:50 PM
Im stupider than you!
Pekin Illinois
Joined Aug 2006
1,722 Posts
Im getting pretty good with it,Does anyone else need to hold left rudder in a hover? I can hold a fairly steady hover for around 15 sec.,even flew it in 20mph wind with gusts to 35! Its doable,but boy does it ever move downwind! I like to hold the nose into the wind and kite.Very versatile plane!
Old May 07, 2007, 10:35 PM
Im stupider than you!
Pekin Illinois
Joined Aug 2006
1,722 Posts
Well,tonight I beaned myself in the head with it Hard enough it stripped a servo gear and cracked the prop! I dropped like a rock,almost knocked me cold.I have a nice "Badge Of Studidity" across my forehead from the prop though! Amazing the energy that can be behind something that weighs so little.