bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCX racer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2008, 07:32 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
I think the one with rotors is an autogyro, I thought an ornithopter was a bird or insect with flapping wings. Of course when you build it you can name you device anything you want.

Tim
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
Old Feb 22, 2008, 09:19 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,561 Posts
I love the BIG BUG!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2008, 09:43 PM
Arcadia, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2007
153 Posts
Yesterday, I thought I had fallen prey to the "weak motor" syndrome. I was out flyin' my bug in the wind, practicing flying inverted. I bopped it on the ground a few times and then I noticed that it needed almost full throttle to keep flying. I changed batteries and ... same thing!

I was thinking about it at work today and thought - I've got a 12 amp ESC that I could substitute to see if that was the problem. So, after work, I took the Bug down and the first thing I noticed was that the prop was on backwards!

One of those times I bopped it into the ground, the prop had come completely off the prop saver, but was still held on by the rubber bands. I must have slipped it back on the prop saver backwards without noticing.

Turned the prop around and took it out tonight, it flies fine now!

-Phil
TBPlayer is offline Find More Posts by TBPlayer
Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:06 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBPlayer
Yesterday, I thought I had fallen prey to the "weak motor" syndrome. I was out flyin' my bug in the wind, practicing flying inverted. I bopped it on the ground a few times and then I noticed that it needed almost full throttle to keep flying. I changed batteries and ... same thing!

I was thinking about it at work today and thought - I've got a 12 amp ESC that I could substitute to see if that was the problem. So, after work, I took the Bug down and the first thing I noticed was that the prop was on backwards!

One of those times I bopped it into the ground, the prop had come completely off the prop saver, but was still held on by the rubber bands. I must have slipped it back on the prop saver backwards without noticing.

-Phil
That is funny!! Now I have a reason to keep an eye on my prop...thanks for the tip!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2008, 09:03 AM
Joined Feb 2007
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNDALE AIR FOR
I think the one with rotors is an autogyro, I thought an ornithopter was a bird or insect with flapping wings. Of course when you build it you can name you device anything you want.

Tim
You're right! I should have checked it out - thanks!
CitaFly is offline Find More Posts by CitaFly
Old Feb 23, 2008, 11:36 AM
Arcadia, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2007
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead93
That is funny!! Now I have a reason to keep an eye on my prop...thanks for the tip!
Well, it was getting dark outside when this happened...that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!!

-Phil
TBPlayer is offline Find More Posts by TBPlayer
Old Feb 25, 2008, 07:18 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
I figured out what is happening with my bug, I think. I have my throws set at 50%, but my cg set for 3d. Oops.

Tim
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
Old Feb 26, 2008, 05:33 PM
MKH
Ohio
Joined Mar 2000
2,597 Posts
Anyone know what equipment Ron settled on for the Mini Bug? I'd like to know which motor, esc, prop combo he ended up with, and I think he tried a few. Just curious, and anxious to see them.
MKH
MKH is offline Find More Posts by MKH
Old Feb 26, 2008, 10:19 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,561 Posts
Just thought I would post this...I was out flying about an hour ago and doing my nice and tight hovers around me puched full throttle inverted lost control and was able to shut down the motor just as she went straight in to my tree! As I do the walk of shame expecting the worst...I see that the rudder is pushed all the way over to one side and the ailerons are bent one up one down...but as I pick it up...I notice that it isn't even scratched Nothing like it...noy even my Airhogs could take that crash LOVE MY BUG!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2008, 10:46 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammy1000
This plane has opened up a new era for me in RC flight. A fly anywhere, including small yards, plane that can keep flying skills honed. Gotta love the landing gear's suspension....really works. Traveling? Take this plane with you. I use only 2 cell 480mah for lightweight flying characteristics. If only this had been my first plane i would have saved an incredible amount of frustration and money
I really think that the bug belongs in the 3-d forum!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:09 PM
Eugene, OR
Joined Dec 2006
99 Posts
i think it belongs in the beginner forum, i tried to start one there too, as it makes an excellent trainer. I have taught two complete novices with it, after they got done breaking my slowstick. It really takes a licking, and keeps on ticking! may as well put it in the parkflyers and foamies forums too, as it is great in the slowflight close quarters , 3D stuff, and also fun with a little more room and a 3s pack to really let her rip up the sky. Its one of the best designs ever as far as I am concerned.
doser is offline Find More Posts by doser
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:34 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,561 Posts
I would second that! It is really improving my 3-D and I really have as much fun flying The Bug as the rest of my even bigger more expensive planes. This is a must have...simple as that!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:42 AM
Joined Feb 2007
345 Posts
The Bug pretty much can be whatever you want it to be - is it possible to do a link-through in these other areas to the thread here? I totally agree that it is a great trainer and park-flier - I can't think of a more park-friendly plane than the Bug.
CitaFly is offline Find More Posts by CitaFly
Old Feb 27, 2008, 06:14 PM
MX
Embedded Systems Engineer
Grass Valley, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBPlayer

-Phil
I've done that too. It actually flew fine, just felt a bit sluggish. Goes to prove how much power it really has if it flies ok with the prop backwards.

MX
MX is offline Find More Posts by MX