HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2007, 04:19 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2005
1,752 Posts
Discussion
Lightflite Bug

This plane has opened up a new era for me in RC flight. A fly anywhere, including small yards, plane that can keep flying skills honed. Gotta love the landing gear's suspension....really works. Traveling? Take this plane with you. I use only 2 cell 480mah for lightweight flying characteristics. If only this had been my first plane i would have saved an incredible amount of frustration and money
lammy1000 is offline Find More Posts by lammy1000
Last edited by lammy1000; Apr 25, 2007 at 02:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2007, 04:56 PM
Severna Park, MD
Joined Jan 2006
179 Posts
Fun!!! Great way to hone piloting skills! Flys almost anywhere, any time. Takes abuse like a champ. I don't recall seeing better crash-survivability in a model with this much power and versatility.

The yard and the cul-de-sac are good places to fly. The BUG even takes off and lands from the grass at local athletic fields. The landing gear is truely a functional plus. In fact, I was doing touch-and-go landings, loops and rolls with mine in the cul-de-sac during the time between my last post (in the other thread) and this one.

Has anyone made an FMS model for the Bug yet? For those rainy days or days with winds too high even for this li'l tiger (er.. BUG)?
Dave Smith is offline Find More Posts by Dave Smith
Old Apr 12, 2007, 05:15 PM
Joined Feb 2007
345 Posts
To start things off, here's my build article:

Lightflite RC Bug Review

And here's a video I shot with the Bug flying at about half throttle, low rates and exponential using a Spektrum DX7 radio:

Bug Video

I bought another one as I have some construction ideas I want to try out. So far I have crashed the bug maybe 6 times and the one thing that I replaced with my own design is the front carbon fiber hoop. I found that the cf rod was under a lot or pressure due to the bend. Ron at Lightflite suggested using shrinkwrap on it to protect it, but I found that using cf strap rather than the rod was better - it's bendy but not under pressure as the rod was (I glued it on with UHU and reinforced it with clear packing tape).

The first 3 crashes were learning crashes - after setting up dual rates, the other crashes were the result of flying too low (maybe one foot off the deck) and getting a little too cocky.

I also found the Bug a delight to fly in a moderate (10 mph) breeze - I point it iinto the wind, throttle back and fly side to side almost with no forward movement - someone came up to me and thought I was flying a kite!
CitaFly is offline Find More Posts by CitaFly
Last edited by CitaFly; Apr 12, 2007 at 05:17 PM. Reason: More details
Old Apr 12, 2007, 05:25 PM
Severna Park, MD
Joined Jan 2006
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitaFly
...here's my build article:

Lightflite RC Bug Review
Nice Review! One of the best I've seen on any model kit. I think anyone who's going to build a BUG would benefit from reading it.
Dave Smith is offline Find More Posts by Dave Smith
Old Apr 12, 2007, 06:02 PM
Joined Oct 2006
192 Posts
I am very intrested in the bug that is powered by the mighty midget motor. Will this plane be available anytime soon?
lightflight is offline Find More Posts by lightflight
Old Apr 12, 2007, 08:13 PM
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Quote:
but I found that using cf strap rather than the rod was better - it's bendy but not under pressure as the rod was (I glued it on with UHU and reinforced it with clear packing tape).
Citafly, what size is that carbon fiber strap? I want to try that as a mod to mine, I'm crashing too much. I broke my landing gear CF rod right at the very top.
Also the wind will move the rudder. The rudder flexes at the small rubber
hose connecting the two CF rods, which allows the rudder to do it's bends.
I'm waiting for zero winds till I learn. God this thing does a ROG so beautifully!
Scott_S. is offline Find More Posts by Scott_S.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 09:22 PM
Joined Feb 2007
345 Posts
It's a bit shy of 5/16" - basically the same thickness as the wing. I don't know why your rudder moves - not a problem with mine.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 09:24 PM
Joined Feb 2007
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightflight
I am very intrested in the bug that is powered by the mighty midget motor. Will this plane be available anytime soon?
I'm not familiar with this motor - do you have a link? You can order the kit without a motor if you want and add whatever you wish.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 09:33 PM
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Looks like a good idea on the strap. On the rudder where the blenderm tape is holding to the fuselage, there is about a 3/4 inch length of clear flexible tubing holding the two CF rods together coming from the servo. The wind,
say 10 MPH and higher will move the rudder alot, it will flex right in the
rubber tubing connection. It has to flex, otherwise you could not make the rudder turn to the right. I'll post a pic tomorrow because I'm a piss poor explainer.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 09:33 PM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,950 Posts
I think Lightflight means the Mini Bug. 17 inch wingspan. I want one too! should be out soon. Love my full size!

Pete
peterv is offline Find More Posts by peterv
Old Apr 12, 2007, 09:52 PM
MKH
Ohio
Joined Mar 2000
2,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterv
I think Lightflight means the Mini Bug. 17 inch wingspan. I want one too! should be out soon. Love my full size!

Pete
The mighty midget powers the micro Bug me thinks, the mini bug has a park 250 on it. I'm also looking at the mini, as long as it slows up well. Often times, the mini version of something ends up with a higher loading, and doesn't slow as well, and is twitchier to fly. I hope the mini bug beats the odds.
MKH
MKH is offline Find More Posts by MKH
Old Apr 12, 2007, 09:53 PM
Joined Feb 2007
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_S.
The wind, say 10 MPH and higher will move the rudder a lot, it will flex right in the rubber tubing connection.
Here's what mine looks like - is it like yours?
Old Apr 12, 2007, 10:40 PM
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Quote:
Yes, exactly, and if I move the rudder by hand to the right, the rubber tube will bend *without* moving the servo at all, thus while the plane is sitting on the ground and I'm waiting for the wind to die down, the wind will blow the rudder to the right, and left but left takes a bit stronger wind.
Will yours not move at all without moving the servo?
Old Apr 12, 2007, 10:43 PM
Joined Feb 2007
360 Posts
Quote:
I just noticed something! Your rods are closer inside the tube than mine.
Hell that would make it do what it's doing, I think. I'm at work and will check it out in the AM.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 11:27 PM
Im stupider than you!
Pekin Illinois
Joined Aug 2006
1,722 Posts
Im starting to be concerned,I ordered over 2 days ago,Seems hes ignoring my e-mails,no responce,no order confirmation,nothing.But my cc was charged!
rhondaward is offline Find More Posts by rhondaward