HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2007, 12:07 AM
honey... anOTHER PLANE!
Cedar Park, TX
Joined Aug 2002
972 Posts
Discussion
is there a 3-Channel 20-40 size Trainer Arf or Kit out there?

I had my eye on the Schoolboy 3-CH Arf from Hobbypeople.net but looks like they've discontinued this model. anyone recomend another 20-40 size rudder elevator (glow) trainer? (No Ailerons)

primarily to get another newbie started in the hobby. Gotta have NOISE, OIL & that good old "glow smell"
Dampy is offline Find More Posts by Dampy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2007, 09:32 AM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Why train on a 3-channel? Seems to me that is hand-cuffing any newb that is truly interested in learning. That said, I'd suggest the original Great Planes SlowPoke, the one without ailerons.
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Apr 12, 2007, 10:14 AM
Stankromfols
Valley Springs, CA
Joined Jun 2006
797 Posts
I can't understand why you would want to begin on just 3 channel, but a Goldberg Falcon 56 kit gives you the option of either going 3 or 4 channel. It's a good trainer.
SKromfols is offline Find More Posts by SKromfols
Old Apr 12, 2007, 10:40 AM
Happy G202 Pilot
Centerville, TN.
Joined Jan 2007
84 Posts
I would highly recommend a 4 channel because sooner or later he is going to want to upgrade and his next plane is gonna be a 4 ch. So get a 4ch now and use the same radio for his next plane. Otherwise you are going to end up buying two radios. --Just my .02

G202
Giles202 is offline Find More Posts by Giles202
Old Apr 12, 2007, 11:23 AM
honey... anOTHER PLANE!
Cedar Park, TX
Joined Aug 2002
972 Posts
OK, I've been teaching my grandfather on a 4-channel radio and buddy box, but it's going slow. I realley wanted to buy him a kit or ARF he could put together himself, so he can get a better feel of how the plane operates and goes together etc. (something fairly simple) He likes the noise and smoke of glow otherwise I'd look at electrics (ez-star etc.) I allready have a 4-ch trainer he can use anytime, but I feel he would enjoy the simpler control of a lazy (Rudd/Elev) Sunday afternoon flyer. Slow landings, lazy oval patterns and maybe some touch and goes would be all he'll need for quite some time.

Viper Pilot - I like the look of the slowpoke 20, a bit worried about a taildragger, as trike gear would be easier for takeoffs.

SK - the Goldberg Falcon 56 kit looks promissing

thanks guys, if you come up with anymore I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 11:39 AM
honey... anOTHER PLANE!
Cedar Park, TX
Joined Aug 2002
972 Posts
anyone know of a polyhedral glow sailplane with LG?
I saw a pic of an oldtimer looking plane from the 60's, that would fit the bill.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 11:45 AM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampy
. . . Viper Pilot - I like the look of the slowpoke 20, a bit worried about a taildragger, as trike gear would be easier for takeoffs. . . . .
I can't say for ALL the SP20s, but mine taxiied with no problems at all. Even though it has a very short tail-moment. I had to apply very little rudder. No ground loops like I experienced with later tail-draggers. This plane is sooo tame it is actually boring. Sounds like just the ticket for Grandda!
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Apr 12, 2007, 12:25 PM
honey... anOTHER PLANE!
Cedar Park, TX
Joined Aug 2002
972 Posts
Viper - It sounds perfect! Thanks