HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: About "back orders / out of stock"?
should’ve know sooner 20 74.07%
good enough customer service 7 25.93%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 11, 2007, 12:18 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,445 Posts
Poll
Back orders/out of stock?

A bit upset!

Got several order acknowledgements after I placed an order online this past weekend – an immediate notice and then a more formal notice within the 1st few business hours of the 1st business day.

The formal notice stated that I’d get another e-mail when the order was shipped.

When I placed the order the item I wanted was listed as in stock.

Checked again on Monday morning stock status hadn’t changed; was still available via the website.

Mid day Tuesday I still hadn’t gotten the “shipped” e-mail.

Checked the website again and it still showed as “IN STOCK”.

So, I replied to the formal e-mail and asked for update.

Got reply in a short period of time “I apologize for the delay, but this order did not ship yesterday. It is set to ship today. I appreciate your patience.”.

Nice right???

Quickly replied and asked:

“Thank for the reply; disappointed that its not already on its way.

How's it being shipped?”

Again a quick reply:

“Since it has not been processed yet, I don't know how it will be shipped. It's small, without the pilot head, which is back ordered, but I don't know for sure. Later today, we should have better information, as this gets processed.

Quite different from what I would have expected – especially when it’s a “business” day and a half since placing the order.

So I went back to the website and found “ OUT- EST. 04/20/2007” for my item and a lot of other things on the same web page!

Do you feel as I “should’ve know sooner about the b/o”?

Or, its “good enough customer service” for me?

TIA,

Jim
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2007, 12:24 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
USA, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Dec 2006
4,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb

A bit upset!

Got several order acknowledgements after I placed an order online this past weekend – an immediate notice and then a more formal notice within the 1st few business hours of the 1st business day.

The formal notice stated that I’d get another e-mail when the order was shipped.

When I placed the order the item I wanted was listed as in stock.

Checked again on Monday morning stock status hadn’t changed; was still available via the website.

Mid day Tuesday I still hadn’t gotten the “shipped” e-mail.

Checked the website again and it still showed as “IN STOCK”.

So, I replied to the formal e-mail and asked for update.

Got reply in a short period of time “I apologize for the delay, but this order did not ship yesterday. It is set to ship today. I appreciate your patience.”.

Nice right???

Quickly replied and asked:

“Thank for the reply; disappointed that its not already on its way.

How's it being shipped?”

Again a quick reply:

“Since it has not been processed yet, I don't know how it will be shipped. It's small, without the pilot head, which is back ordered, but I don't know for sure. Later today, we should have better information, as this gets processed.

Quite different from what I would have expected – especially when it’s a “business” day and a half since placing the order.

So I went back to the website and found “ OUT- EST. 04/20/2007” for my item and a lot of other things on the same web page!

Do you feel as I “should’ve know sooner about the b/o”?

Or, its “good enough customer service” for me?

TIA,

Jim

What company are we referring to?
mtdoramike is offline Find More Posts by mtdoramike
Old Apr 11, 2007, 12:36 PM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
A online catalog with real time stock levels would be best, but I'm sure this can be expensive to outsource and I suspect many shops might use inhouse web page designers to keep overhead costs in check.

There are several large r/c companies I've shopped online with before that use 3rd party order fullfillment. By the time your order gets picked the item is out of stock, though the site page says different.

I personally avoid places like this and spend my future $$$ elsewhere.
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer
Last edited by Popsracer; Apr 11, 2007 at 12:41 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 12:39 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Yeah, that can get annoying! On two occasions its happened to me but I did'nt find out that its on backorder till a few weeks wen't by and I still had no motor.

In both situations there was a common ground. They both said "my vendor told me the item would be here on x/xx/xx so I did'nt label it as backordered, however the vendor was wrong and I still have not recieved the item."

If I would of known it'd take a month to get it, I would of shopped elsewhere!

Feeling your anger!

Adam
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Apr 11, 2007, 12:47 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,445 Posts
Would the name or size of the vendor influence your opinion?
Last edited by jrb; Apr 11, 2007 at 02:42 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 02:25 PM
Norman, OK
Joined Jan 2005
696 Posts
I'm guessing you're talking about Hobby Lobby?

Their website could use some improvement, especially to do a more "real time" stock status.

But to me, that's not of paramount importance, especially for HL where the things I'm usually ordering from there aren't easily available elsewhere (I can't just go into my LHS and pick up a Jeti ESC or an Alfa warbird).

If the backorder is bothering you, just call them and cancel it. I've never dealt with another mail order company that's as helpful and easy to work with as Hobby Lobby. They've got far and away the best customer service I've ever dealt with when it comes to RC stuff.
JustinG is offline Find More Posts by JustinG
Old Apr 11, 2007, 02:35 PM
Speed cost money.
United States, FL, Marathon
Joined Dec 2002
3,045 Posts
I know your frustration. I have a order in for almost $200 worth of stuff. It's been 1 month now and it is held up by a 19.00 item that is backordered. I was charged the day the order was placed. I wish they would break the order up and ship a partial.

FWIW I did know an item was backordered when I placed the order, But I thought it would have been a week or less as indicated by the site.

I am referring to a order at United..... I figure I order in advance of need and I will save money. For something I need ASAP I stick to sites I have had better experiences with or... LHS.

Highflier
highflier is offline Find More Posts by highflier
Old Apr 11, 2007, 02:42 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,445 Posts
Guess I am pretty lucky, I can get the latest Alpha’s and other Hobby Lobby stuff from my LHS; though their prices for Castle Creations speed controls are a lot better than Jeti – no too many buy Jeti!

Usually, I can see & hold just all RC stuff at one of two shops with a few block of each other and a couple mile from my home. Even pass by several other store on the way home from my office.

So, when I finally have a need for something and order it online, confirming several times along the way that its was in stock, yes I am very disappointed to find out only after asking what’s up that the item is in fact out of stock.

And, reportedly for several business days before the weekend when I placed the order.

Good enough, I’m sorry; I don’t think so!
Old Apr 11, 2007, 03:14 PM
Norman, OK
Joined Jan 2005
696 Posts
I understand you've got a beef because you thought something was in stock when you ordered it and it turns out it wasn't and you feel like they took too long to let you know about it.

I guess I don't understand what you think should be done about it now? They can't ship what they don't have, so the only resolution I can see for you is to call them up and cancel the order, and I have no doubt they'd be happy to do that for you, issue any credit due to you, etc. There are many, many vendors out there who would drag their feet and not be as accommodating when it comes to something like that.. some vendors are hard to get hold of and tend to hold an order hostage rather than cancel it. Hobby Lobby ain't one of them. A 2 minute phone call to them would solve your problem.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 03:26 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,445 Posts
With a timely notice of the back order, or better yet a truthful website, I could have had the item by this weekend via another vendor – but not with the delay that transpired!

Would that have been reasonable; or is it still too much to ask?
Old Apr 11, 2007, 04:01 PM
Norman, OK
Joined Jan 2005
696 Posts
Sure, that's reasonable, but they're human and they screwed up. They had a ton of sales and specials going this past weekend, perhaps they had a larger than normal backlog of orders when they came into work Monday morning? Who knows... but if that's enough to lose your business then you run the risk of not having ANY decent vendors left to buy from!

You say their website isn't truthful as though their intent is to scam you. I don't see it that way personally; it's a mistake, a shortcoming of their system, nobody's perfect, stuff happens. In fact, just yesterday I ordered an ESC from them that was listed in stock at the time and didn't ship with the rest of my order because they ran out. I'm not upset about it, I'm not insinuating they're liars or being deceptive, it'll get here when they get more in stock. Life goes on...

Like I said, I agree that it would be nice to have more accurate stock info linked into the website to avoid these situations, but it is what it is... they're not trying to rip anyone off or cause headaches. In your case, they've caused you a headache because now you can't get what you need by the weekend, and I understand that, but that's not their intent. You could've easily called in your order on Monday morning and spoken to someone on the phone to verify the stock status if it was really important, but hindsight's 20/20.

I still say that if you're upset you should call them. If Hobby Lobby's customer service can't satisfy you, then you probably can't be satisifed.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 04:13 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,445 Posts
Justin,

Did I say Hobby Lobby?

Tell me now, do they need you steadfast defense?
Old Apr 11, 2007, 04:22 PM
Norman, OK
Joined Jan 2005
696 Posts
No, but the "OUT- EST. 04/20/2007" is a dead giveaway. You posted this thread seeking feedback, I'm giving mine, so I'm sorry if I'm not reinforcing your feelings or saying what you wanted to hear. That's just the way it goes sometimes.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 04:24 PM
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
2,833 Posts
If I ever set up a business, I'll use a database to ensure things like that never occur. If something says IN STOCK when it's ordered, it should be on a shelf and then reserved the second the order is put through.
JWilliams2 is offline Find More Posts by JWilliams2
Old Apr 11, 2007, 06:22 PM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdoramike
What company are we referring to?
Look at the Giant Banner at the top of the page. I guessing that company.
fly4fun is offline Find More Posts by fly4fun