HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by gtfreeflyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 07:28 AM
Women Fly Too
Twentynine Palms, CA USA
Joined Jul 2004
1,061 Posts
GT, So sorry to hear that you're Skymaster is so much fan fold. I know about others hitting your frequency. Had my NexStar get trashed because of the same problem with people not checking in on frequencies before flying. Hey, H.L. has a new brushless version called the Mixmaster. Same airplane, but a blue colour. Caley
CrashCaley is offline Find More Posts by CrashCaley
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2007, 04:19 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
Yikes... not much left of it - I'd say there were no survivors. Hopefully most of your electronics survived. If it were mine, I'd try to put humpty-dumpty together again. A little Gorilla Glue and foam-CA can do wonders... I trashed a Cub "almost as bad" and got it flying again.... couldn't find all the pieces so I patched it with FFF, sanded it, painted it, and now you can't tell it was ever wrecked (from 6ft away).

The Mixmaster is already brushless/lipo powered... there are a few threads on it already. Flies much better out-of-the-box.

Too bad they don't sell the Skymaster/Mixmaster as a slope glider without the powertrain... or at least make available spare parts/fuse/wings/etc.

Mine is still in the box... not ready for it yet.
warhead_71 is online now Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Jun 22, 2007, 08:32 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,354 Posts
That sucks...sorry to hear about the carnage. One suggestion...2.4Ghz!!! After suffering similar fates and fighting 'glitch' zones I forgot how fun flying can be without worry of some idiot shooting you down. Did my conversion about a year ago and HAVEN'T LOOKED BACK.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2007, 02:52 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
Me too. I have the Spektrum DX6 and it flies a plane almost out of site with no troubles. I also like that I have no antenna wires dangling out the fuselage... the short 4" wires stay hidden in the fuse.
warhead_71 is online now Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Jun 26, 2007, 03:28 PM
YardGoat lives with mama
Joined Feb 2007
3,231 Posts
GT. I am sorry about you lose. I have been following your progress and incorporating your tips into my Skymaster. Thank you for the wonderful thread. Sure would be a shame if those kids lsot their plane due to someone being on their channel. I know 2 wrongs dont make a right, but it would teach them a hard lesson.
Liquidity is offline Find More Posts by Liquidity
Old Aug 15, 2007, 05:11 PM
YardGoat lives with mama
Joined Feb 2007
3,231 Posts
It is hard to let this thread die. I have incorporated numerous suggestions into my Skymaster. My 337 is still flying strong and always turns heads at the local field. I used 2 axi2212/20 gold motors with 2 Phoenix 25A ESCs. Gtfreeflyer, thank you for the excellent thread.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 05:24 PM
Put a bigger motor on it!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,435 Posts
This thread is not dead at all. I started another modification blog and have already mentioned this blog.

Liquidity, post some pictures for everyone. All the pics on this blog were taken with my cell phone camera.
gtfreeflyer is offline Find More Posts by gtfreeflyer
Old Aug 15, 2007, 05:50 PM
YardGoat lives with mama
Joined Feb 2007
3,231 Posts
I will try to get some pics later tonight or tomorrow morning. Actually I have some on my computer I can post now.
Last edited by Liquidity; Aug 15, 2007 at 06:02 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 06:03 PM
YardGoat lives with mama
Joined Feb 2007
3,231 Posts
I will post some pictures of the insides tomorrow if I get the chance.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 06:33 PM
United States, CA, Downey
Joined Jun 2005
1,818 Posts
Yes Please Do
Jcopter
Jcopter is offline Find More Posts by Jcopter
Old Aug 16, 2007, 08:55 AM
YardGoat lives with mama
Joined Feb 2007
3,231 Posts
Here are some more pics as promised. Some a fuzzy as I learned abotu the flower function after I took the pics. Sorry.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 10:13 AM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,435 Posts
Very nice. In my opinion, the best mod I made was the CF tube thru the wing. You'll be able to pick the entire plane up and hold it level while holding onto just one side of the wing. Try it out when you have the chance.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 11:44 AM
YardGoat lives with mama
Joined Feb 2007
3,231 Posts
I do like that idea. I read it in your blog and did not implement it. As you can see from the top of the plan, I wish I had . When I get a chance I will add it in. It is incredibly hot down here, so work on the planes is at at hault. My work bench is in the garage 100+ weather and 40-80% humidity does nto fair well for working in the garage.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 11:47 AM
YardGoat lives with mama
Joined Feb 2007
3,231 Posts
Also, hwo did you get your screenname? GTFreeFlyer?
Old Aug 16, 2007, 12:43 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,435 Posts
I was in the skydiving club at Georgia Tech when I went there. GT for the school, and FreeFlyer for the type of skydiving I liked most.

No, it's not all the same style (falling really really fast). There is belly flying (falling belly first towards the ground), free flying (head first dive, sitting position, standing straight up, flips, spins, etc. etc.), and CReW (Canopy Relative Work where you open your chute as soon as you leave the plane and make parachute formations with others).