Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by gtfreeflyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:46 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,103 Posts
Ahhhhhhh.... I thought you had actually cut the flaps out between the fuse and the boom and installed a torque rod and extra servo. Flaperons certainly seem easier. Real flaps would look very cool, and probably not too hard to set up. I'm a long way off from attempting to maiden mine, but it's something to consider when I'm ready to upgrade it for its first flight.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2007, 01:13 PM
Put a bigger motor on it!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,384 Posts
I definitely suggest you fly it first and see how it feels before adding the flaps and flap servo. The plane tends to nose down when flaps are applied, so be ready to hold the elevator back a little bit... or just have your radio do it for you automatically.
gtfreeflyer is online now Find More Posts by gtfreeflyer
Old May 05, 2007, 11:57 AM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,384 Posts
I just added another carbon fiber strip (.057"x.177") behind my wing CF tube. The glue is still drying at the moment!

Before, when the plane was just sitting on the ground, I was able to deflect the entire tail up and down probably more than an inch! The area where I just inserted the new CF strip was way too flimsy. Hopefully this new mod will help stiffen things up a bit. I don't know if it was always like this, but I noticed it after the wind blew my Skymaster off of my car hood (stupid of me to have left it there) and the plane smacked down hard on the concrete upside-down. There's no damage unless the weakend tail is a result of this.

It's been more than a week since she's been in the air. I hope to get her up today after I replace a prop adapter (damn flimsy gear always gives me prop strikes!). I guess the first mod I should have done was new landing gear. After all, I do design landing gear for a living...lol.
Old May 05, 2007, 12:19 PM
RC Airplane Crasher
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2007
930 Posts
I think next you should put nav lights on it for night flying! I just did it to my Super Cub and it's so cool! Your plane with lights would be a sight to behold at night!
Hellbore is offline Find More Posts by Hellbore
Old May 05, 2007, 07:31 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbore
I think next you should put nav lights on it for night flying! I just did it to my Super Cub and it's so cool! Your plane with lights would be a sight to behold at night!
Hahaha. How did you know that's what I was doing right after my CF strip mod? I'll get around to mounting the tail and landing lights some other time. For the landing lights, I used plastic water bottle caps and carefully drilled 6 holes in each cap. I inserted the LEDs and then filled the caps with some epoxy. Now I have to figure out how to make sure all those wires don't short!
Old May 05, 2007, 08:47 PM
RC Airplane Crasher
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2007
930 Posts
Haha sweet!
Old May 11, 2007, 11:26 AM
Joined Jan 2004
47 Posts
Great Detail

Gtfreeflyer, Great rebuild log. I just received one of these from a friend who gutted the plane for parts for a home build. Now that I have your info, you have made it easy to rebuild this Skymaster. Looking forward to getting under way and thanks again......Mike
flyingcubby is offline Find More Posts by flyingcubby
Old May 11, 2007, 12:20 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,384 Posts
Nice, keep me updated on how it goes.
Old May 29, 2007, 05:20 PM
RC Airplane Crasher
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2007
930 Posts
Dude I love the plastic spoon air scoop idea, can I steal it for my Super Cub? hehe...
Old May 29, 2007, 05:44 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,384 Posts
It wasn't my idea. Someone at my field told me about it. In fact, I just bought a used plane that already had one on there!

I haven't flown my Skymaster for weeks now! I'm waiting on my defective LiPos to come back from the manufacturer hopefully not defective. No batteries means no flying! If only it were a little lighter I'd try to slope soar it, haha.
Old May 29, 2007, 05:57 PM
RC Airplane Crasher
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2007
930 Posts
Haha do it, slope soar it, I dare you! Hehe...
Old Jun 20, 2007, 12:09 AM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,384 Posts
I can't believe it's been nearly 6 or 7 weeks now since I've flown anything. It all started when I shipped both of my LiPos back to the distributor because they went bad way too early. They were found to be defective and were replaced. That took like two weeks. I also went on vacation for a week, moved to a new apartment (about a 3 minute walk from the flying field!), and that pretty much explains my absense.

Tonight was my first night back to the hobby. I soldered Dean's connectors onto the new Lipos and I finally mounted the landing lights on the SkyMaster. It looks sweet! I'll take a pic soon and post it. I think I put too many LEDs in each cluster. It lights up the whole room and it's just too bright to stare directly at the plane. I love it! I hope it doesn't blind me during final approach!

This is definitely going to attract attention at the field and I can't wait to test it out later this week. I still need a tail light and then she's ready to go!

I'll keep you informed.

-Jonathan-
Old Jun 20, 2007, 08:13 AM
Women Fly Too
Twentynine Palms, CA USA
Joined Jul 2004
1,061 Posts
Hey GT, Great to hear they replaced your batteries. You got me interested in aircraft running lights so I purchased a set also, but not for my Skymaster. I still don't have the courage to fly it with brushed motors again. Need brushless ones which I can't afford. Lookin forward to that pic and of course a report on your next saga in the flight of the modified Skymaster. LOL!!!! Caley
CrashCaley is offline Find More Posts by CrashCaley
Old Jun 22, 2007, 12:21 AM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,384 Posts
R.I.P. SkyMaster

Well, I finally made it back to the field again after what seemed like forever of no flying.

I took my SkyMaster out with the new lights, new props, and new LiPos. My first two flights were during the day and were pretty much noneventful. Those lights on the wing were so bright that I could clearly see them with the airplane far away and the sun almost directly overhead.

I left my stuff at the field, went out for dinner, and then returned for some dusk/night flying with my new lights. When I returned to the field, there were a lot more people that came out to fly.

I took my plane out for a 3rd flight. I turned the plane over an area known to cause unexplainable interference and my plane started twiching. It has never twitched over this area before. I got scared and quickly brought it in for a fast landing. I didn't even wait for the plane to slow down; it came in fast and the landing was great!

I moved over to a new area and took off again. I was still climbing on runway heading over to the cliff where some new teenager pilots were slope soaring. All of a sudden I got another twitch of full up elevator followed by full right aileron. I yelled "interference!" and screamed to turn all channel 58's off. The guys nearby helped me shout it even louder. Within the next 2 seconds the throttle was going up and down, and the plane rolled itself inverted. I was fighting the sticks, but whatever input I gave didn't seem to matter. The nose pointed straight at the ground and then there was a big, spectacular explosion of foam that soon followed.

Ouch! That didn't feel good at all. I'm sure those of you that have been keeping up with this blog probably feel close to the same way right now.

I made the short hike over to the crash site and it became immediately clear that this now marked the end of the SkyMaster. I spent about a minute just looking at the wreckage, and the new pilots at the cliff's edge by the wreckage were just looking at me, not saying anything. They just had that look of, "Damn, that sucks".

I gathered up all the pieces and had to make that walk of shame back to where everyone was hanging out.

The was one guy flying over by the picnic table that no one really knew. I checked in with him and he was on channel 35.

Now, what I forgot to mention was that just last night, I was running the motors in my room - breaking in the LiPos - and I was getting some crazy, full down elevator glitches. However, I did a range check at the field today before flying, and I had no problems. Also, my two flights before dinner went perfectly well.

I started thinking that perhaps that glitch was back. But the glitch from last night was only full down elevator. Today's fatal glitch was full up elevator followed by right aileron, followed by total loss of control.

Also, the glitch got worse as I flew closer and closer to the new teenage pilots. Several people mentioned that they saw those guys walk straight out from their car to the cliff.
I put two and two together and caught up with them just as they were walking back to their car.

"Hey, what channel are you guys flying on?"

"We're on 58"

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I kept my cool while talking to them for the next few minutes. Here's the low-down:

-They admit that they did check the frequency board.
-They admit that they saw my pin, with my name on it, on the Ch. 58 marker.
-They say they asked around to see who was on 58, but when no one answered, they assumed that someone forgot their pin on the board. They did not replace my pin with another pin. They simply didn't have a pin for the board.
-They are new to the field, and to the hobby.
-They don't have a permit to fly at the field, which the city now requires, nor did they know they needed a permit.
-I explained how to get the permit, (by showing proof of insurance at city hall) and they were shocked to hear that you need insurance for these planes.
-I asked them to cover the $58 I payed for this plane, but they are both broke and need to fill their car with gas.

Best of all, they swear they would not have turned their transmitter on if they had known this would happen.

The guys at the field that were with me during the crash all say that they saw the teenagers go straight out to fly, without checking the board. No one said anything to them.

What can I do? I gotta bite the bullet on this one. It sucks that it had to end this way. A mid-air would've been cooler and more redeeming, but I gotta bury this plane due to interference from newbies.

From now on, nobody walks from their car straight out to the field without me saying something. The worst response I'll get is "Sorry I'm on 2.4 ghz". I don't want to be a hardass, and I'm not, but at least I know I'll be saving someone who bothers to follows the rules.

Don't let it happen to you.

Okay, now for the good stuff! See the pics below.

Thanks to all for reading my blog. I hope you enjoyed it.

-Jonathan-
Old Jun 22, 2007, 01:18 AM
RC Airplane Crasher
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2007
930 Posts
Oh god...this is the worst type of scenario! I really feel for you man. Those stupid teenagers. I hope they will at least feel bad enough to stop being so irresponsible. Don't count on it though. Man this kind of thing makes me furious!

Good luck man, I hope you can salvage some of the parts at least. This is exactly why I use Spektrum now for all my planes. I just don't trust the knuckleheads you run into sometimes