HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2002, 11:45 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2002
80 Posts
Tiger Moth Pakage -- How does this sound?

Well, I'm gonna do it... I'm gonna order my first Tiger Moth today! I am so incredibly excited!!!

I've done some research and I've come up with a (complete?) shopping list. But before I start placing orders I thought I'd better run it by you guys first (since you know alot more about this than I do!). Does this sound like a good, light Moth setup? Does anything here raise any red flags? Wherever I list more than one choice, do you have a preference? Am I forgetting anything important?

-----------------------------------------

PLANE:
GWS Tiger Moth, UNPAINTED

RADIO/RX/SERVOS:
Hitec Laser 4 FM (Feather RX, 2 HS-55 servos) OR
J-Line Quattro Lite FM (R610M RX, 2 S241 micro servos)

CONTROLLER:
GWS ICS-100 ESC OR
Great Planes C-10 Micro High Frequency ESC w/BEC

BATTERY:
7-Cell 8.4V 2/3 AAA 370 mAH Ni-MH Flat Pack OR
7-Cell 8.4V 2/3 AAA 370 mAH Ni-MH Brick Pack

CHARGER:
I need a good NiMh charger w/ discharging/conditioning, peak detection, etc.

Please let me know what you think. I'd greatly appreciate your "expert" advice before I buy! Thanks!
eatupmartha is offline Find More Posts by eatupmartha
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2002, 11:50 AM
Scale Builder, RCAPA #29
Lansdale, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,370 Posts
I would go with the Hitec radio, (think about the Flash 5 version if you are going to stick with it, better options for future planes), use the GWS controller, HS-55 servos, and the flat battery pack. you can adjust the CG easier I think with the flat pack verses the brick style.

Sounds like you have done a search here on the forums already, so you have probably picked up a lot of good information. Good luck, take your time and happy flying. My TM is still going strong, and is a great flyer.

Rob Schaffer is offline Find More Posts by Rob Schaffer
Old Oct 17, 2002, 12:27 PM
PiLoTuS pArKfLyIcOuS
Dub Cee, California
Joined Aug 2002
928 Posts
flat pack for better cg?

unless im thinking of another pack, i think the brick works out better. in fact, the brick will fit in the battery slot without any mods. does the flat pack have a side by side config or an end to end x 2 config?
torcgolf is offline Find More Posts by torcgolf
Old Oct 17, 2002, 01:42 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi Martha, Great choices! I totally agree with Rob, the HiTec, or the Flash if you can swing it. I have a Laser 4 channel I use as my computer flight sim controller because as soon as I got a second plane I moved up to a Flash 5X. The model memories really come in handy.

And I also think the flat 370mah 7 cell packs are the best for the 'moth. The compartment needs to be widened about 1/4 inch on each side. On both of my 'moths I end up with the battery half way into the fuse, about centered over the leading edge to get the CG right. From looking at the opening I believe you would have to cut the slot deeper to slide the brick packs back far enough.

For a good, not real expensive charger check out the Dymond Super Turbo and the FMA Super Nova Either will work well.

Another option, that doesn't let you cycle batteries is an ACE Super DigiPulse it lets you charge six packs at once for 16 hours, then switches to trickle. I use one of these and like the way I can put the battereis on and leave them there till I'm ready to fly.

Best of luck,

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Oct 17, 2002, 02:02 PM
xen
US
Joined Nov 2001
148 Posts
skip the feather, unless you are flying indoor, then the feather is fine. If you don't fly indoor, don't buy the Feather.
xen is offline Find More Posts by xen
Old Oct 17, 2002, 02:14 PM
Crash Site Instigator
Novato, CA USA
Joined Jan 2002
917 Posts
I third the Flash 5 - a few extra bucks well spent. I second skipping the Feather - you can go with a GWS receiver/servo package for your first plane. The Flash 5 can be purchased by itself at http://www.hobbyhorse.com/hitec_trans.shtml , for one.

Personally, I wouldn't put 100+ bucks into a charger that doesn't do Lithiums. I've gotten by just fine for my first 6 months with the Dymond Micro Peak charger for $30 plus shipping, which requires 12v input. I do a lot of my flying with Lithiums, and currently have separate chargers for those.

The Wattage charger described in http://www.ezonemag.com/articles/200...ecurring.shtml sounds like a good AC/DC choice. It can be purchased at http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/130108.asp .

- Larry
sheerLuck is offline Find More Posts by sheerLuck
Last edited by sheerLuck; Oct 17, 2002 at 02:22 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2002, 03:54 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2002
80 Posts
Thank you so much for your advice. I am so impressed with the generous support given in this forum on a daily basis. What a comfortable way to ease into this exciting (and at times complex) new hobby!

Based on your advice my revised shopping list now looks like this:

PLANE:
GWS Tiger Moth, UNPAINTED

RADIO/RX/SERVOS:
Hitec Flash 5 with Micro 555 Receiver, 2 HS-55 servos

CONTROLLER:
GWS ICS-100 ESC

BATTERY:
7-Cell 8.4V 2/3 AAA 370 mAH Ni-MH Flat Pack

CHARGER:
Dymond Super Turbo

So is this everything I'll need? Is there anything else you guys would recommend?

Also, I have two ESC questions:

1. The GWS ESC comes with Futaba Connector -- will this connect to my Hitec Micro 555 Receiver or will I need to get some sort of adapter?

2. Do you recommend an ESC with a heat sink and/or brake? Are these important?
Last edited by eatupmartha; Oct 17, 2002 at 03:58 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2002, 04:05 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Yep, that looks good now. You can take the case off the 555 to save 5 grams.

And I'd recommend getting two or three battery packs. One to fly, one to cool and one to charge works out well.

The esc will plug into the 555 fine.

I prefer the esc without brake, it seems easier on the gears when the prop doesn't jerk to a stop.

BC
Old Oct 17, 2002, 04:12 PM
Admitted RCoholic
Apache Junction, AZ
Joined Jul 2002
120 Posts
What he said...

Yeppers, listen to what BC said. You've got the right combination now. You're gonna love this plane!!! Hundreds of e zoners can't be wrong.
Dugster is offline Find More Posts by Dugster
Old Oct 17, 2002, 04:12 PM
Redmond, WA
Joined Apr 2002
710 Posts
Always remember that the Moth likes to be light.

Shopping list looks good except that the 555 Rx can be substituted for a lighter one. If cash flow is not a problem, then get the 555 with the radio and get one of these Rx's (single conversion: GWS R4P, Berg*5; dual conversion: Hitec Electron 6, FMA M5) - the GWS unit being the cheapest. Else, take the cover off the 555 in the Moth.

I suggest another battery pack, NiMH's take time to charge even at 2C - flying for 10-20 mins and then waiting for 35-40 mins is not my idea of fun.

GWS Futaba connector should be good for the radio. You don't really need a brake for the TM, it's not much of a glider. You don't really need a heat sink for the GWS ICS-100 ESC on this motor. However, do get one for the IPS-DXA motor - just $2.
ElectriFan is offline Find More Posts by ElectriFan
Old Oct 17, 2002, 06:45 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,693 Posts
I have the 555 and the R4P. Initially, I had the 555 in the plane-the R4P is alot lighter so I switched to it and I haven't had any problems. I'm saving the 555 for a faster plane such as the switchback.

Either way you can't go wrong-next stop is flying addiction !

-Jon
echoplanar is offline Find More Posts by echoplanar
Old Oct 17, 2002, 06:57 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2002
80 Posts
LOL echo -- I'm halfway there

One last question before I actually place the orders: I currently have a couple 7-cell 500mah NiCd batteries laying around... Can I use one in the moth or will it be too heavy / too powerful?

I plan to go with NiMh anyway -- but this will help me decide if I get one or two packs.
Old Oct 17, 2002, 07:17 PM
Redmond, WA
Joined Apr 2002
710 Posts
The web site should list what the 7 cell NiMHs weigh. Then compare with your NiCd packs. Being 7 cell NiCds, they should provide plenty of power for the TM motor. I think they might be too big/heavy for the TM.
ElectriFan is offline Find More Posts by ElectriFan
Old Oct 17, 2002, 07:29 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
The 7 cell 370's and the QualComm 830's both weigh 2.1 ounces (57 grams).

What size are the 500 Nicads? If they are 2/3A they are way to heavy for the TM. 7 2/3A's weighs about 5 ounces.
Old Oct 17, 2002, 08:45 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2002
80 Posts
The Nicads are 2/3 A... Oh well, too heavy. (I suspected as much but just wanted your opinion.) I guess I'll get two new 7-cell 370maH NiMh packs then.

Hey, can I use my old Dynomite Vision Peak charger to charge NiMh bats? It says it's for 6/7 cell packs (7.2-8.4V) at either 2 or 4 amps -- but it doesn't say anything about NiMh. (It also has trickle charge, but I don't know if that's good or bad for NiMh.)