HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2002, 09:50 AM
Lifes 2 short, go sloping
colorado @ 5500feet
Joined Sep 2001
1,054 Posts
Yippee!
F-20 tiger shark quality is top notch

I ordered my F-20 on Oct.9th, and got it shipped normal mail from New Zealand. I recieved it yesterday on the 16th and I have to say it was a very clean kit...the wing came with NO slag (the little plastic hairs) at all! It has good instructions that anyone but a first time kit builder could follow. All the gear cut out slots were very clean and neat, I just grabbed a corner of the cutout area and pulled out the plug from the hole it took no pliers or cutting.
All the hardware is top rate and the carbon rod spares run on the top and bottom of the wing with aluminum joiner connecting them. The fuselage is close to shaped right all you need to do is smooth and trim the nose area alittle to get the right shape.

I haven't started building yet (new baby has my attention right now) but will start this weekend, From the forum off of Canterbury Sailplanes website this thing will fly awsome and a review can be found on the F-20 product page on the site as well as a short video. I payed $90 US dollars including shipping!Very nice!

I can recommend this Plane with full confidence just from inspecting the kit!Canterbury Sailplanes
Vinnya42 is offline Find More Posts by Vinnya42
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2002, 08:05 AM
Sweden (born UK bred Wales)
Joined Aug 2002
465 Posts
Re: F-20 tiger shark quality is top notch

Hi Vinnja!

I fancy one of those nice looking planes as well

Are you going to take some pictures of the build process? I'd be really interested to follow the build so it would be great if you could post some here...
konaboy is offline Find More Posts by konaboy
Old Oct 19, 2002, 03:08 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2002
816 Posts
F-20 hints and tips

All hints and tips can please be posted here: http://forum.canterburysailplanes.co.nz
SlopeKing is offline Find More Posts by SlopeKing
Old Oct 21, 2002, 09:28 AM
colorado @ 5500feet
Joined Sep 2001
1,054 Posts
I will post some pics but I am almost ready to cover mine and did very minor mods to it other than making the wing detachable with rubber bands.
Old Oct 22, 2002, 12:04 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2002
816 Posts
believe that the rubber band idea was a stupid one foamies are designed to be invincible and have no rubber parts whatsoever!!
SlopeKing is offline Find More Posts by SlopeKing
Old Oct 22, 2002, 02:57 AM
near Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Sep 2002
733 Posts
Slopeking, Your comments are out of line, again.
YOU ARE NOT KING
You ARE a teenager and only just at that.
Get used to the idea that people can have their own opinion, itll help you a lot.
Remember, "Opinions are like Ar**holes, everyone's got one and everyone thinks everyone elses stinks".

Vinnya42 may drive/ ride a moped and has to have removeable wings to allow him to put it in the panniers, or have his own reasons for modding it as such. He may not intend combatting it or fly on slopes with good landing areas and not need the invincibilty of fixed wings.
A local guy at my slope has a JW, and wouldnt dream of combatting it. He lands it so soft in longish grass then checks it over meticulously for damage before putting it away in a purpose built padded bag, He doesnt DS it either, just likes a neat clean model.

Lancair
Lancair is offline Find More Posts by Lancair
Last edited by Lancair; Oct 22, 2002 at 03:01 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2002, 08:35 AM
colorado @ 5500feet
Joined Sep 2001
1,054 Posts
I am going to attach the wing with rubberbands because of car space with 4 other planes in the trunk in will make it much easier and in a hard crash the wing will pop out of socket instead of braking the glue at the wing joint.

I spoke with someone this weekend sloping who had a Eraser and he said he reglued the wing on several times after bad crashes, he finally used 4 pegs to glue the wing and fuse together to fix the problem. While he loved the eraser and said it was tougher than nails he agreed with my plan to rubberband it on after all the trouble he had with the wing breaking loose. He is an experienced builder and a great pilot so I took his word for the weakness and will use the rubberbands for ease of transport and a possible weak wing joint.

I also fly hard and instead of using all the tape I am putting graphite rods inbedded in the fuselage to the tail, it will be much stiffer and takes a crash better the the tape will. Plus the weight will be about the same with the less tape used.

I believe you have a great design and can't wait to fly it, but we all do stuff differently and I want to insure that this plane is around for awhile!

Vince
Last edited by Vinnya42; Oct 22, 2002 at 12:11 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2002, 09:25 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,263 Posts
Foamies were designed to use alternate building materials.
Crashability was a fortunate byproduct.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Oct 23, 2002, 09:02 AM
colorado @ 5500feet
Joined Sep 2001
1,054 Posts
here are some build pics of it after the fuselage is shaped, I think it looks pretty good.
I am adding the servos now so I can cover it, I got the antenna routed thru the fuselage and set up the detachable wing joint....almost ready to FLY!!
Old Oct 23, 2002, 09:03 AM
colorado @ 5500feet
Joined Sep 2001
1,054 Posts
here is another view of the pieces