HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2002, 03:36 AM
Mostly in Norman, OK
Joined May 2002
1,868 Posts
(yet) Another set of Beaver in-flight pictures ...

I'd just put back the radio gear in my Beaver and took it out again for some flights ... now I'm wondering why I took 'em out in the first place!
Peter Khor is offline Find More Posts by Peter Khor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2002, 03:41 AM
Mostly in Norman, OK
Joined May 2002
1,868 Posts
Top of a loop ... fyi mods made on the Beaver include Uni-CF Tape along the LE/TE of the wing and tail surfaces (can been seen as black strips - they weren't really necessary, especially on the wings, but they don't hurt performance either. Also, landing gear is 2 layers of glass, I can bounce it all day on landings. Finally, stearable rear wheel and dinky Dubro main wheels that I had lying around (gotta change those).
Old Oct 17, 2002, 03:44 AM
Mostly in Norman, OK
Joined May 2002
1,868 Posts
Banzai! Prop is 9x7x3 on stock EPS300C, battery pack is 600mAh AA cells that I picked up on clearance from Target (cordless phone packs, $1.5 for 3.6V pack).
Old Oct 17, 2002, 03:48 AM
Mostly in Norman, OK
Joined May 2002
1,868 Posts
10" off-the-deck fly-by. Flying buddy of mine took the pictures; Sony Camcoder on Still Mode, saved to Memory Stick - 640x480 native formate, all pictures posted here are direct from the stick, no re-touching.
Old Oct 17, 2002, 03:57 AM
Mostly in Norman, OK
Joined May 2002
1,868 Posts
Off into the wild blue yonder ... the pictures print out quite well on 4x6 on my Epson 875, much to my delight.

Anyways, I'm really glad I re-discovered EFlight, Spring of this year - I had all but given up on gasser mainly because of the travel distance, hassle, time constraints, etc; it's amazing how a quick 10min break in the middle of the day can be so invigorating (most all of my flight times from park the car to leaving is in the 5 to 15min range)

Thanks for letting me share a part of my hobby ....
Old Oct 17, 2002, 07:34 AM
PDS
Detroit Willow Run, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2002
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Khor
Also, landing gear is 2 layers of glass, I can bounce it all day on landings. Finally, stearable rear wheel and dinky Dubro main wheels that I had lying around (gotta change those).
Please tell me more about how you did the landing gear and stearable rear wheel. (Pictures?)
PDS is offline Find More Posts by PDS
Old Oct 17, 2002, 09:54 AM
Tee Sqaured
Langley, B.C, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
4,548 Posts
man, those are some great pics! im deffanantly going to get a beaver!

Thomas
Thomas Manson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Manson
Old Oct 17, 2002, 11:49 AM
Mayor of Simpleton
Cleveland, OH, USA
Joined Oct 2002
2,193 Posts
Which Sony Cam were you using? Pics look great.
Tommy632 is offline Find More Posts by Tommy632
Old Oct 17, 2002, 02:52 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Nice pics!!! The Beav looks really cool in the air! I may have to splurge 40 some odd bucks and grab one myself!

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Oct 17, 2002, 02:56 PM
Mayor of Simpleton
Cleveland, OH, USA
Joined Oct 2002
2,193 Posts
A friend of mine here in Cleveland has one and I just seen it fly for the first time yesterday and WOW!! It looks great in the air. It's now a must have on my list.
Tommy632 is offline Find More Posts by Tommy632
Old Oct 17, 2002, 03:01 PM
Mostly in Norman, OK
Joined May 2002
1,868 Posts
Up close and it's ugly ... at least when I was done with it ;-)

This is the main LG, I attached the supplied fairing and glassed over it with scraps I had lying around (pretty heavy weight cloth too, iirc 4oz cloth), hence the sloppy look. I've had a rx inteference crash which tore off a large chunk of of the foam where the glass is applied, a little epoxy and you can't tell the difference.
Old Oct 17, 2002, 03:08 PM
Mostly in Norman, OK
Joined May 2002
1,868 Posts
Tail wheel's basically copied from the Zero, parts are already there, all you need is music wire to bend into shape. Look just below the rudder control horn, you will see the L-bend that steers the wheel, epoxied on. The stock tail wheel should be fine, but it seems to skip/slide around for me, used a Sullivan tail wheel I had in the junk box. Still it's tricky to stear around on the ground.

I don't know the exact model, but it was a Sony MiniDV camcoder .... should be an older one as it only does 640x480 in still mode.
Old Oct 18, 2002, 05:04 AM
United States, MD, Solomons
Joined Feb 2002
1,987 Posts
i just ordered a beaver, can't wait until it gets here. how do you think a 6 cell 720 AAA NIMH pack would work in it??? thanx

kyle
gromitvt10 is online now Find More Posts by gromitvt10
Old Oct 18, 2002, 05:13 AM
United States, MD, Solomons
Joined Feb 2002
1,987 Posts
i just ordered a beaver, can't wait until it gets here. how do you think a 6 cell 720 AAA NIMH pack would work in it??? thanx

kyle
gromitvt10 is online now Find More Posts by gromitvt10