HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2007, 10:39 AM
Indian Land, SC
Joined Dec 2005
401 Posts
Discussion
Reinforcement of Mini Ultra Stick & Mini Pulse XT

I have a Mini Pulse & a Mini Ultra Stick that I want to reinforce the fuselage floor to keep the landing gear from ripping out the bottom of the plane. I need some workable ideas form the group. I have seen and experienced this with mostly normal landings. The gear legs twist backwards and break out the small piece of plywood that the gear is attached to. Both of these planes are unflown right now.
one2lose is offline Find More Posts by one2lose
Last edited by one2lose; Apr 10, 2007 at 11:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2007, 10:47 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined Oct 2006
566 Posts
I just sold my MUS because I could never land it properly: lack of skill on my part. My gear platform went very quickly. Search the forum for the thread-some fellow provides nylon screws which "break away," and many, including me, used CA to infuse the area behind the motor and around the gear, and expoxy and light plywood to shore up the area around the gear.

In the right hands, the MUS is a beauty to watch, but my hands weren't "right."
Dave Matison is offline Find More Posts by Dave Matison
Old Apr 10, 2007, 11:20 PM
Indian Land, SC
Joined Dec 2005
401 Posts
I was hoping that someone has found a good way to strengthen the wood parts that the gear legs mount to. On the Mini Pulse I think I will pour epoxy into the joints that make up the gear mount.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:28 PM
zaksdad
USA, TX, DeSoto
Joined Apr 2006
477 Posts
Don't bother reinforceing the bottom of the fuselage,use the two peg and rubber band method to hold on the landing gear works great and you'll never have to repair the bottom of the fuselage again because when you land hard the rubber bands give and the gear just folds back.
zaksdad is offline Find More Posts by zaksdad
Old Apr 12, 2007, 12:02 AM
Indian Land, SC
Joined Dec 2005
401 Posts
Dad, that sounds different. Do you have any pictures?
Last edited by one2lose; Apr 15, 2007 at 09:36 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 09:35 AM
Indian Land, SC
Joined Dec 2005
401 Posts
I have built up the floor of the MUS on both sides of the landing gear mount. I cut rectangles of plywood and epoxied them in. Once I was level on the floor, I connected the pieces with another plate of wood. I used epoxy at each seam and joint. I am still thinking about what to do with the Pulse. That plane uses a little different box for the landing gear mount.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 06:27 PM
Central PA
Joined Dec 2005
1,496 Posts
Use nylon bolts.

When I started flying the MUS, it was definitely a little over my head. With practice you'll be able to land it like a slowstick. You can't force landings, you have to set them up, by coming in on a long approach and at a slow rate of decent. I had a hard time believing that it would fly slow, but it really does. Landing in as towards a slight breeze helps. If you radio is capable, flaps will slow it down even further. Just don't go to heavy on the flaps, maybe 20 or 30%, and mix in some up elevator to keep it level, maybe 10-12%. I'm still flying it on a park 450, and it is far and away the most enjoyable plane to fly out of the 12 or so that we have. I have a park 480 ready to go in sometime soon.

I've stripped off the gear a half dozen times or so with no ill effects, most recently coming out of a high speed loop too close to the ground. Its a tough plane and a fantastic flyer.
TommyB is offline Find More Posts by TommyB
Old Apr 15, 2007, 11:31 PM
zaksdad
USA, TX, DeSoto
Joined Apr 2006
477 Posts
I'll try to take some pictures but just thank of it as a upside down rubberband wing mount.
zaksdad is offline Find More Posts by zaksdad
Old Apr 16, 2007, 07:12 PM
Warbird Madness
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Dec 2006
242 Posts
I just got the PNP Version of the MUS. I had a friend at our local electric field help me install a tail wheel and re-inforce the gear. He simply cut away the utracote under the gear holes and used epoxy to glue 2 thin plywood sheets to the fuse bottom (1-3/4" x 2-1/2"s). He covered it with new ultracote and I used the original metal stock screws to secure the gear. I am new to RC flying and my instructor told me that my first landing on a paved runway would have torn the gear away from the stock setup. However, my gear remained intact. I spoke to some who used the nylon screws to secure the gear and although it saved the fuse bottom, the loose metal gear tore up their tails when it broke loose.
Sharperguy is offline Find More Posts by Sharperguy
Old Apr 16, 2007, 09:45 PM
Indian Land, SC
Joined Dec 2005
401 Posts
Very neat job. I have seen a fellow pilots wheel pants cut into a Mini Pulse XT's wing covering when it was torn off. On my first Mini Ultra Stick, I ripped the gear out when I had a gully intersect the runway I chose. I know what happens and want to prevent it before it does.