HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Bruce Abbott, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 04:19 AM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,182 Posts
Discussion
GWS A10 EDF50 Brushless Upgrade

After burning out the second motor in my A10, I decided it was time to go brushless.

AFAIK, there are only two manufacturers of 12mm motors, Feigao and Medusa. I chose the Feigao 1208425 (5800Kv) because its Kv is closest to the original brushed motor, and the price is reasonable. The total cost of two motors and controllers was US$99 (motors from Air Craft, controllers from United Hobbies).

Before installing the new motors I tested one in a bare EDF50A fan, and compared it a stock unit. The results were not very promising:-

Code:
 Make    Model  Volts  Amps   rpm  Thrust(g)
  GWS   CN12RLC  7.01  4.77  31500    90
Feigao  1208425  7.01  4.95  31740    92
The Feigao used 4% more power, but only managed 2% more thrust . Oh well, at least I don't have to worry about burning them out...

However, it's not that bad because the brushless 'upgrade' has a bonus, it's a lot quieter . Whereas before the A10 sounded like a pair of dust busters, now it's less whiney and more 'jet-like'. At cruise throttle the motors are almost inaudible.

The only down-side is that my old Polyquest 880mAh Lipos are no longer good enough, because their voltage sags too much causing one controller (but not the other) to cut out. This introduces differential thrust and makes it hard to steer straight. Luckily I also purchased a Hextronik 12C 1000mAh 2S Lipo, which holds its voltage well and also gives longer flight time.

Also today I discovered that my A10 can R.O.G. despite not having any wheels! So all in all, even though going brushless has barely improved the model's performance, I'm happy with the results .
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2007, 05:27 PM
Coimbra
Joined Jan 2007
40 Posts
Hi! Your post is going on the direction of mine... I'm building a foamy yf-23, with twin edf50. and I had a doubt if it would fly with the original engines... what is the weight of your plane? just to compare...

I was thinking on going to brushless, if it flies ok, but on switching to 3s LiPo... 11.2 volts, to give extra rpm and thrust...

here's my post, if you wanna take a look.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711920
JClemente is offline Find More Posts by JClemente
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:45 PM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,679 Posts
EDF and other things

Hi Bruce,
Among other things I have just been doing a Hitec Flash 5 model memory 'doubling' mod. There is a different EEPROM in it, and a new connection on pin 6 to consider. Would you like the details for your website in an email ? PM me if you would.

Your A-10.
I had one for a while but never completed it, but I did have the upgraded EDF-55 fans from ACW and had two brushless DIYMOT-VL kit motors ready to go in it. I sold it on before starting the airframe build, as I got a bit tied up in other projects.
I did do an EDF Stryker just prior though, and can offer this advice. If you test an EDF without an intake ring they will perform quite badly. Fitting a smooth round lipped intake ring makes a very noticeable difference to thrust and reduces noise further.
A tail cone also has an effect, but the A-10 sort of has one (bit short) anyway.

Martin
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
Last edited by PLMS; Jul 26, 2007 at 11:55 PM.