SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 10, 2007, 01:13 AM
NAS Whidbey Island/Oak Harbour, WA
Joined Jul 1999
335 Posts
Discussion
Anyone heard of this concept plane?

I tried using the search function but it is currently down.

I figure some of the RCG community is aware of this aviation developement, if not a direct contributer/team member outright. It's news to me

link:http://www.aviationblog.com/2007/04/...-aviation.html

Reminds me of the one-man submersible dolphin/racer from "Seaquest" and the "Bongo" from SW:Phantom Menace.
Spaaro is offline Find More Posts by Spaaro
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2007, 07:43 AM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
They fly with poorer soaring. They need lots and lots of power.
Ollie is offline Find More Posts by Ollie
Old Apr 10, 2007, 11:59 AM
Joined Jun 2005
233 Posts
short wingspan=lots of induced drag at normal GA speeds, no matter how pretty the curves are.
Flyingwingbat1 is offline Find More Posts by Flyingwingbat1
Old Apr 10, 2007, 04:42 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,810 Posts
It's got a lot of X-24B about it:

The X-24B flew about 35 years ago and was a development step toward the space shuttle, so this design is nothing new... It may have a lot going for it at hypersonic speeds but at normal flying speeds the lifting body / low aspect ratio wing design is very inefficient... I can only think this is some form of publicity stunt.

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Apr 10, 2007, 05:36 PM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
The plane, with no power, flies like a brick. I will crash except for a landing flare near the ground.

Think about thrust bigger than weight and no failure thrust with flying.

It mainly flies on thrust.
Ollie is offline Find More Posts by Ollie
Old Apr 10, 2007, 06:23 PM
Lift is cheap - Drag sucks
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,644 Posts
Yeah, but it really looks neat!!!
Tom Harper is offline Find More Posts by Tom Harper
Old Apr 10, 2007, 07:16 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Just don't contribute to any plea for funds.
This is a money scam, more than anything else.
The X-24B came down like an anvil from 100,000 feet.. on the ground in about 2 minutes.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Apr 10, 2007, 08:56 PM
greg
somerset, nj
Joined Feb 2005
371 Posts
this concept plane looks more like a submarine than an aircraft. if you like cool, you might be interested in the x-36 tailless research vehicle.
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/x-36.htm

the x-24 is one of the last of the early lifting bodies that demonstrated the concept of a controllable decent vehicle rather than being a typical aircraft able to gain altitude. at the time, space vehicles decended on parachutes. liftiing bodies also proved that such a vehicle could land at a high angle of attack without any boost (rockets) to make up for the extra drag. both these concepts are critical in the space shuttle.

i never understood what lifting bodies were until i read "wingless flight" by dale reed when it was posted electronically on the nasa dryden web site. the book describes the original concept tested with models, early evaluation of the vertical control surfaces using an early flight simulator, and tow testing behind a modified pontiac.
ciurpita is offline Find More Posts by ciurpita
Old Apr 11, 2007, 08:44 AM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,396 Posts
The concept can work. It's called a Smart Fish. I took this photo at Aspach 2002—yes, that was 5 years ago. And it certainly doesn't fly like NASA's X-24B brick. This photo is from my Aspach 2002 report in The E Zone's archive.

Here is what I wrote about the model:

Here’s a bunch of Smart Fishes. The EDF is a fiberglass ARF kit by Rotschi (http://www.smartfish-model.com) and costs about €570 euros, or about US$600. Measurements: wing span 77 cm (30.31 in), length 1 m (39.37 in) and weight 2.5 kg (5.5 lbs). Power (used in Ulf Herder's): Lehner 15-30-6Y in a WeMoTec 480 Mini Fan, Schulze Future 18.61 ESC and 16 x Panasonic 3000 NiMH. Flight time is 6 minutes.

Unfortunately that link is 5 years old and today it directs you to an unrelated site with the same URL. (So I assume the original Smart Fish URL was sold.) Ditto for the [same] link posted in back in November 2002 about the Smart Fish in the EDF Discussion Column.
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Last edited by James Frolik; Apr 11, 2007 at 08:59 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:25 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Model wing loadings aren't any indication of how the full-scale will (won't) work.
It's a brick/anvil/anchor.
Suitable for a re-entry vehicle, if that.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Apr 11, 2007, 02:53 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,636 Posts
Cant hold altitude, she's breaking up, she's breaking up...Col. Steve Austin, a man barely alive...Dah nah nah na, na na nah nah na na nah na nuh
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:27 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,438 Posts
Low aspect delta wings with jet engine spool up times = lots of dead gen av pilots.

This is just not a good idea for sport aviation. Yes it looks sexy as heck but it will not be a forgiving design at general av type speeds.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Apr 12, 2007, 02:12 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,636 Posts
Col. Austin crashed the A model of the X-24, but they say only one was built. That crash looked catastrophic.
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Apr 12, 2007, 05:40 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,824 Posts
Hmm, dunno, for a pure delta I'd agree, but this has tail feathers, much like a Mig21. With that shape I'd be most concerned with vertical surface blanking at high AOA, otherwise it should be pretty much like anoy other low wing loading delta, mushing a bit instead of snapping on a stall, and possibly keeping control after the stall.
Brandano is offline Find More Posts by Brandano
Old Apr 12, 2007, 03:56 PM
greg
somerset, nj
Joined Feb 2005
371 Posts
it was actually the m2-f2, not an x-24
http://www1.dfrc.nasa.gov/Gallery/Ph...L/E-16731.html

the nasa site has several movies showing the various lifting bodies: m2-f1, m2-f2, m2-f3, hl-10, x24a and b.

notice also that there are no wings projecting outward, horizontal from the body that might burn up on re-entry. for those interested, the book is still online from the nasa technical report server
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1998082126.pdf
ciurpita is offline Find More Posts by ciurpita