HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by _Lunchbox_, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:56 PM
....PieMaster....
United States, GA, Warner Robins
Joined Aug 2004
695 Posts
Looks like it will be ready in time for SEFF. Can i fly it? You going to have your combat plane ready?
kave_man is offline Find More Posts by kave_man
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:59 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Lookin' good..

I hope to fly mine tomorrow!
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Apr 17, 2007, 11:04 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,441 Posts
I'm slowly figuring out how to cover. I may actually get the hang of it after all.
This feels way better than slapping together an ARF

Kenny, the combat plane will either be ready before we get to SEFF, or I'll build it in the shop on Wed...
_Lunchbox_ is offline Find More Posts by _Lunchbox_
Old Apr 18, 2007, 09:45 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
SSX at SEFF

I will have a limited supply of pre-built kits for sale at SEFF. If you bring your Slow Stick parts, motor and radio to SEFF, I will have all the tools to get it ready to fly.
You can also take one of my demo models for a spin. I am using Spectrum so it should be easy to get some stick time.
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2007, 06:38 PM
End of an Era.....
Hodges Hobbies...well 8 miles from there!!!
Joined Mar 2004
2,858 Posts
[QUOTE=jkarpy]I will have a limited supply of pre-built kits for sale at SEFF. If you bring your Slow Stick parts, motor and radio to SEFF, I will have all the tools to get it ready to fly.
You can also take one of my demo models for a spin. I am using Spectrum so it should be easy to get some stick time.[/QU

Please mark one "hodgehound" for me! I do not want to miss out on this! I'll pick it up as soon as I find you.Or maybe I should say when you get here and set up. How much for the pre built??
Tha Hodgehound is offline Find More Posts by Tha Hodgehound
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:09 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,441 Posts
Well, I started the harder task of doing the covering on the wing.
I picked coverite microlite as the covering (because Bill told me to)
Covering the wing took me about an hour, and I made a couple of boo boos. I got the heat gun too close in a couple of places and burned a hole in the covering. I'm thinking of going with a 3rd color on the wingtips ( that is where the holes are ) to finish it off. Maybe black....
Anyway. looks like I might get it done...

James, have you done any wings with CA hinges or do you just use tape exclusively?
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:55 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Man, you guys are in for a TREAT..

I loved every second I was able to put on the plane.. I got to run 6 full packs through it today and then a 7th partly through - when I got a hit and the plane went in..

Once you guys start flying it - you will see what I'm talking about..
Old Apr 18, 2007, 11:08 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstone
Well, I started the harder task of doing the covering on the wing.
I picked coverite microlite as the covering (because Bill told me to)
Covering the wing took me about an hour, and I made a couple of boo boos. I got the heat gun too close in a couple of places and burned a hole in the covering. I'm thinking of going with a 3rd color on the wingtips ( that is where the holes are ) to finish it off. Maybe black....
Anyway. looks like I might get it done...

James, have you done any wings with CA hinges or do you just use tape exclusively?
Tape! The 1/8th wood is too thin for CA hinges in my opinion.
Looks like you are winning.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:07 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,441 Posts
Well, I'm almost finished. I finished covering the ailerons and tail feathers today. I cut out for the aileron servo, but I think I may put 2 servos in the wing so I can experiment with flaps and mixes on my new 9303.

I screwed the fuselage up though. It was bent slightly and in trying to straighten it, I bent it in half. I'll need to get a new one when I get to Macs I guess.

I've also decided to use this plane as my AP plane as it is a little bit sturdier than the original SS, and I can use a better mount. In order to make the mount, I cut a piece of 3/4 X 3/4 pine ( leftover trim ) to size and epoxied it into the wing. I plan on installing a blind nut into this block and screwing a 1/4 x 20 screw into the blind nut up through the wing and mounting the camera on that.

I guess I won't get this maidened before I get to SEFF because I have to work all weekend....However, it WILL be the 1st thing I do when I get there.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:10 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,441 Posts
Tram, I'm sorry to see such a beautiful plane got dinked up like that.

You should come by Thursday at SEFF and get some low country boil...Or fri and get some fish
Old Apr 20, 2007, 12:39 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstone
Well, I'm almost finished. I finished covering the ailerons and tail feathers today. I cut out for the aileron servo, but I think I may put 2 servos in the wing so I can experiment with flaps and mixes on my new 9303.

I screwed the fuselage up though. It was bent slightly and in trying to straighten it, I bent it in half. I'll need to get a new one when I get to Macs I guess.

I've also decided to use this plane as my AP plane as it is a little bit sturdier than the original SS, and I can use a better mount. In order to make the mount, I cut a piece of 3/4 X 3/4 pine ( leftover trim ) to size and epoxied it into the wing. I plan on installing a blind nut into this block and screwing a 1/4 x 20 screw into the blind nut up through the wing and mounting the camera on that.

I guess I won't get this maidened before I get to SEFF because I have to work all weekend....However, it WILL be the 1st thing I do when I get there.
You did not make the new tail mount! I would, it makes for a much stiffer tail section.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=1250670
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2007, 01:00 AM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Jeff - It's ok, I've got her fixed and ready to fly.. You'd never know she was busted up, other than a small crease in the boom..

You really aught to build the new tail section.. it makes a world of difference..
Old Apr 20, 2007, 06:19 AM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,441 Posts
I don't know how I missed that. I'll do it tonight
Old Apr 22, 2007, 07:32 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,441 Posts
Well, I've finished the wing and tail. I had to remove the tail pieces from the bent fuselage, so I decided to fabricate the mod you linked to Tram. Thanks for that. I really like that mod. I've decided to use this plane to carry my little aiptek camera to do AP. used a 3/4 x 3/4 block and cut it to fit and epoxied it in front of the spar. I drilled and tapped a 1/4 x 20 hole through it and into the top of the wing. I'll run a nylon 1/4 x 20 x 1 1/2 screw up through the wing and use the threaded tripod mount in the bottom of the camera to attach to it.
Now, all I have to do is get a new fuselage and install the servos and radio equip. and It'll be ready to go.. Man I can't wait to get this in the air.....
Old Apr 22, 2007, 10:06 PM
....PieMaster....
United States, GA, Warner Robins
Joined Aug 2004
695 Posts
Looks like SkunkWorks is producing products.

Kenny
kave_man is offline Find More Posts by kave_man