SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by _Lunchbox_, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 09, 2007, 09:54 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
Build Log
Slow Stick X build

I picked up a wing kit for the Slow stick at the Perry show this March. It is available from millennium R/C. There is also a thread about it here

This will be my first attempt at building anything but an ARF plane, so we should be able to see how easy the instructions and build is for a novice.

I should say that although I've never seen one of these fly, the plane with the wing mod looks great and I'm excited to try one out.

To start off, the pieces were packaged together well, and even after 2 months of being shuffled around in my house from place to place with my RC stuff, all the pieces were still intact. I started off by looking over the complete instructions, and I must say they seem to be well thought out and are mostly clear to understand. I removed the first pieces from their sheets and they popped out with minimal effort. The laser cutting did a great job. I sanded the little "boogers" left from being attached to the sheet.

The 1st problem I ran into with the instructions, was there were 3 different types of wing ribs, and the instructions didn't tell you exactly where they went. This may be a newbie builder problem, but it has caused some head scratching nonetheless. However, the ribs were easily inserted into the spar and I only had to sand one piece in order to make it fit.

I only got as far as laying out both wing halves tonight with the spar and LE.
I haven't glued anything yet, but I hope to do that tomorrow.

Why oh why do I have to go to work? I hate stopping.....

Oh well. more to come tomorrow
_Lunchbox_ is offline Find More Posts by _Lunchbox_
Last edited by _Lunchbox_; Apr 10, 2007 at 05:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2007, 02:57 PM
End of an Era.....
Hodges Hobbies...well 8 miles from there!!!
Joined Mar 2004
2,784 Posts
you suk man!!
Tha Hodgehound is offline Find More Posts by Tha Hodgehound
Old Apr 10, 2007, 08:57 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
I'm continuing the build tonight. Started putting the TE on and gluing the spar down to the ribs. The build is going along well. I have a few moments of head scratching, but I was able to work my way around it. This thing is going together faster than I expected. I'm glad. It is relatively easy for a beginner...
Old Apr 10, 2007, 08:58 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgehound
you suk man!!
You'll get your chance.....patience grasshopper...err....stickkiller
Old Apr 10, 2007, 09:05 PM
oh crap! did I do that?
cochran,GA
Joined Oct 2005
268 Posts
that looks like it is coming along well...oh and nice room
JTStone is offline Find More Posts by JTStone
Old Apr 11, 2007, 02:32 PM
End of an Era.....
Hodges Hobbies...well 8 miles from there!!!
Joined Mar 2004
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstone
You'll get your chance.....patience grasshopper...err....stickkiller

LOL...my chance comes later after mine is built and I catch you in the air!!! That big ole X on the wing makes for a good target!!!
Tha Hodgehound is offline Find More Posts by Tha Hodgehound
Old Apr 11, 2007, 08:19 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
Just got back to work on the wing this evening.

Doing the LE and TE planking. My fingers are all glued up....Why oh why can I not work around glue without gluing my fingers?

I am about to trim the excess off the wings and sand the edges down
Old Apr 11, 2007, 08:25 PM
oh crap! did I do that?
cochran,GA
Joined Oct 2005
268 Posts
Quote:
My fingers are all glued up....Why oh why can I not work around glue without gluing my fingers?
Jeff,
eating glue and gluing your fingers together was supposed to stop after Kindergarden
JTStone is offline Find More Posts by JTStone
Old Apr 11, 2007, 09:25 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
I haven't eaten any....maybe you know something I don't....

Kepping on.....I have trimmed the excess from the outside edges and sanded them. I have also sanded the LE round as per the instructions... That took a while!! now I am covered in balsa dust

This thing is starting to look good!! I hope to get the wing edges done tomorrow . Then all I'll have to do is get it covered....
Old Apr 13, 2007, 11:28 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
The SSX is a great build..

I've got mine all ready to rumble.. I think it is supposed to storm tomorrow though..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Apr 16, 2007, 05:46 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
I haven't eaten any....maybe you know something I don't....

Kepping on.....I have trimmed the excess from the outside edges and sanded them. I have also sanded the LE round as per the instructions... That took a while!! now I am covered in balsa dust

This thing is starting to look good!! I hope to get the wing edges done tomorrow . Then all I'll have to do is get it covered....
Looking good!
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2007, 07:03 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
I just got back from the Pop Curtis fly in at Hodges' I'll make my 1st attempt at covering tonight....cross your fingers that I don't screw it up
Old Apr 16, 2007, 07:11 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
Covering her is very easy.. Great model for a first start of covering..

Just take your time.. There are some great tips on jkarpy's SSX build page here on the zone.

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Apr 16, 2007, 09:09 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
Just did a little picking up of the after the fly-in unpacking.
I did glue the tail feathers together. I have attempted to cover the elevator first in order to get some practice.
Although the corners are not as bad as I thought they would be, it is a little difficult to do. I was having trouble trimming the edges with my hobby knife, but I think I just need a sharper blade. I think a trip to the store is in order to get some razor blades. Also, I think I had my iron too hot when I shrunk the covering due to the many small wrinkles in certain areas. I believe I'll strip this off and re do it. However, i know what to expect now and hope I'll do better tomorrow....

running out of time before SEFF...I hope this will be finished...I'll have to work this weekend, and I don't know if my wife will tolerate me spending the whole evening up here all week...
Old Apr 16, 2007, 11:31 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Just did a little picking up of the after the fly-in unpacking.
I did glue the tail feathers together. I have attempted to cover the elevator first in order to get some practice.
Although the corners are not as bad as I thought they would be, it is a little difficult to do. I was having trouble trimming the edges with my hobby knife, but I think I just need a sharper blade. I think a trip to the store is in order to get some razor blades. Also, I think I had my iron too hot when I shrunk the covering due to the many small wrinkles in certain areas. I believe I'll strip this off and re do it. However, i know what to expect now and hope I'll do better tomorrow....

running out of time before SEFF...I hope this will be finished...I'll have to work this weekend, and I don't know if my wife will tolerate me spending the whole evening up here all week...
Start out with the lowest temperature in the covering temperature range. The covering instructions usually indicate a range of expectable temperatures. Tack the covering into position. Then turn the temp up to the middle of the range and continue tacking it in place. Once you have it all tacked down, turn the heat up to the high end of the range and finish shrinking and sealing the edges.
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member