HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2007, 10:58 AM
38.4mph 12cell SV27
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2006
159 Posts
Discussion
XRB Mini-Shuttle/Blade CX2/Helimax Axe EZ

I am looking for comparison b/w these three CX type helis. Anyone out there with experience flying these different egg beaters would be greatly appreciated. I've already reviewed video of the Helimax and Blade CX2, and seem more geared toward the CX2, but still haven't been able to find anything out about the XRB.

Comparison b/w the 3 helis performance wise indoors/outdoors.
Does the flybar on these interfere with abrupt input?
Maintenance (cost of spares and ease of acquisition)

Thanks

If you know of any other CX helis that would be better than the above, please chime in.
Blackjack52 is offline Find More Posts by Blackjack52
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2007, 05:50 PM
21st Century Space Cowboy
Chipping, Lancs, UK
Joined Oct 2006
2,935 Posts
Look for the XRB SR Lama - it's the same heli but with a Lama body.

Yes the flybar interferes, but you don't get blade clash with the XRB (taller mast). The XRB is conventional radio gear (MHz ranges), unlike the CX2 which is 2.4GHz.

It costs more than the CX2, but spare blades are cheap (around 8 in the UK for four pairs, upper or lower). The XRB's coreless motors can be pricey though.

Tach.
TachyonDriver is offline Find More Posts by TachyonDriver
Old Apr 09, 2007, 06:42 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,609 Posts
The BCX2 and the Axe EZ are in a class that is well below the XRB. The XRB is the cream of the crop of contra-rotating helicopters and their price reflects that as well as the cost of the coreless motors. If money will never be a concern then buy the XRB.

On the other hand, if you are one of these that likes to tinker and mod a helicopter then the BCX2 or Axe EZ would be the way to go.

They all fly about the same, they all have their own nuances and they all will break at some point. Personally, I don't care for the Axe EZ, I would look more at the Lama V3 or V4, the V4 has a body style more like the BCX2 and I would consider the BCX2.

Getting spares is not a problem in the U.S., as long as China is not on another one of the 1 week holidays. , the BCX2 and the Lama are very easy to maintain, the Axe is just as easy as well. I am uncertan about spares for the XRB but the few times I have seen them, they seem to be a bit higher in cost.

Just my .02 cents.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2007, 08:13 PM
38.4mph 12cell SV27
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2006
159 Posts
Thanks Tachyon and Louie. Very good info. Exactly what I was looking for. Now I'm just torn b/w the BCX2 and the XRB. Price isn't a factor, but if I'm flying this indoors, I'd like to have the 2.4 system (already well versed in their use) w/ the BCX2 for safety sake since I can't get out of the way quickly.

Then again, flying a lipo indoors isn't exactly the safest either. ha
Old Apr 09, 2007, 08:48 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,609 Posts
BlackJack52 ..

Here is a link for RCUniverse and the EFlite helis, the BCX2 is in here also, it will help to give you another perspective.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_447/tt.htm

There was a thread here on the XRB, search for XRB and it will show up.

Both heli's are really pretty safe, just keep the blades out of you eyes. As I recall, the XRB has a flexible plastic/vinyl type blade. If you are wheel chair bound or have reduced mobility the XRB may be a safer option.

I like the 2.4 gig that is being used on the BCX2, I believe though that if you currently have a DX6 it will not work with the BCX2. You will need to use the BCX2 TX that comes with the kit or if you already have the DX7 you can use it with the BCX2.

Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2007, 10:49 PM
38.4mph 12cell SV27
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2006
159 Posts
Got it. Yeah, I already weeded through the 44pg thread (good info) and the Mod thread.

Didn't really find much on the XRB SH, but will look a bit more.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 12:16 AM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2002
404 Posts
I have the XRB SR and I LOVE IT!!! It is such a joy to fly, very responsive and stable! One nice thing is the blades are more or less styrofoam, why is this nice you ask? Because when you finally hit something (and you will) instead of tearing up a swash plate, or bending something the blades simply snap off. This also makes for some pretty graphic looking crashes, heli tumbling down with blades, and blade chunks flying every direction. I have crashed mine HARD 3 times, only broken blades everything else is just fine. The blades are right around $10 for a set of 5 blades (10 blades total) and are readily available. I just ordered a box from www.helihobby.com Sunday and got them today (Wed).

I am very happy with my XRB I highly recommend them! I just ordered a carbon fiber air frame from ballistic I will be writing a review on it once it is here (10-14 days, ARG I don't want to wait!!!)
gear-head is offline Find More Posts by gear-head
Old Apr 12, 2007, 09:24 AM
38.4mph 12cell SV27
Madison, AL
Joined Sep 2006
159 Posts
Thanks. I wonder if the blades from the new XRB SHuttle will fit the CX2? I just purchased the CX2.......final factor was ease of mx (finding and getting parts).
Old Apr 14, 2007, 09:02 PM
21st Century Space Cowboy
Chipping, Lancs, UK
Joined Oct 2006
2,935 Posts
I think the cx2's blades are larger..
TachyonDriver is offline Find More Posts by TachyonDriver