3,824 Posts
sorry 17mph cross wind, stayed home
hoser is offline Find More Posts by hoser
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2008, 10:38 AM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,933 Posts
You too huh? Well at least you didn't drive anywhere to find out, I drove 36 miles and nobodies there, 20 mph cross wind. Wonderful. It was gorgeous all week when I'm at work keeping the rich guys from smashing their gulfstreams together, but come time to fly my little hunk of wood and there's 20 mph of wind. Mother nature can kiss my you know what.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Last edited by Ed Waldrep; Sep 15, 2008 at 02:25 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2008, 12:40 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser
sorry 17mph cross wind, stayed home
Where do you normally fly? I went by the Markham field last Nov while on my way thru Miami. They were having an open day, but no EDF in sight. Nice field too for your Cougar maiden.

Phil
PhilLin is offline Find More Posts by PhilLin
Old Mar 03, 2008, 02:11 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,176 Posts
Olla Hoser, tu Cougar es un avion muy muy guapo. El viento forte es un problema aqui tambien
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old Mar 03, 2008, 02:20 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,483 Posts
the weather is God...that is why you couldnt fly...isnt sunday his day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser
sunday if weather is god
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Mar 03, 2008, 02:59 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,444 Posts
i dont fly on sunday's..
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Mar 03, 2008, 03:35 PM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb
Olla Hoser, tu Cougar es un avion muy muy guapo. El viento forte es un problema aqui tambien
I hate french...
Erik v. Schaik is offline Find More Posts by Erik v. Schaik
Old Mar 03, 2008, 09:26 PM
shut up & fly
United States, FL, Miami
Joined May 2001
3,824 Posts
muchas gracias Herb! Hay mucho viento toda via en miami.

Phil, you where near south beach or as we say it here (sou bich) and u did not call me, shame on you. Yeah i fly at markam but not often,i mainly just do the jet events. wednesday is jet day. The only other hardcore EDF guy out there is Eddiegigowatts, plus he is a pro pilot.

was that a freudian slip on my part "the weather is god".

in know what u mean Ed luckily if its blowing in miami its blowing in ft lauderdale. so i just chilled.
hoser is offline Find More Posts by hoser
Old Mar 04, 2008, 10:09 AM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,478 Posts
Sorry, Hoser I thought I'd surprise you at Markham. Gave up South Beach for the drive up instead. Connected thru MIA on way to a south american vacation. Have to take you up on it next time. There might have been only an electric conversion of a Joe Beshar Sprite which had some zip along with some combat/racer types, 3-D aerobatic and some scale models that day; an entertaining mix. So no jets except Wednesday.

Hope to see more vid of your Cougar.

Phil
PhilLin is offline Find More Posts by PhilLin
Old Sep 04, 2008, 04:12 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,209 Posts
New JHH sibling

My JHH F-86 needed a sibling

F-86 just got her 750 rotor factory balanced, Cougar will get her factory balanced 730 rotor
Ken Lapointe is online now Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
Old Sep 04, 2008, 05:14 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,444 Posts
SWEEET! the JHI cougar(or most cougars for that matter) are super stable great flying birds! cant wait to see your build! the fury is still lookin good! ive got a 3kw 90mm setup that would love a home in a JHI F-86!
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Sep 14, 2008, 10:15 AM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,209 Posts
Cougar Started

Well I started my JHH Cougar

The bare fibergalss fuse weighs in at 1lb 7 oz. Who knows what the final weight will be.

The instruction sheets are very nice, first thing to do is throw them in a 3 ring binder. The plans come in 6 large sheets. This is really nice since you can put the other ones out of the way when you are not using them.

The laser cut parts are great, every part appears to have a number on it.

The kit supplies foam wings and foam stabs. It also comes with the parts to make built up balsa stabs. I choose to build the balsa stabs.

First thing to do is check the front and back of the stab ribs to make sure you have them right, its tough to tell front from back unless you do that.

The laser cut parts include a number of 1/64th ply parts to be sandwitched between balsawood. This is for the rudder, control surfaces, and other edge surfaces. This is great, but is not mentioned in the instruction sheets when building the stab. I only knew this because I had built a JHH kit before.

So the stab tip, S13 and the stab control surface s12 are both glued up with balsa and the 1/64th ply in the middle. The S12 ply piece also makes a nice template, just make sure you cut straight accross at the control horn end instead of following the outline of the ply part.

One thing to mention for hinge pin location. The S12 ply part has nice indents where the hinge pin goes. Note that the location shown on the plans matches the right side of the stab perfectly. The outer pin shown on the plans on the left stab does not match the ply part. Its actually different from the right side on the plan too. no big deal just note it so when you drill latter you drill the correct spot.

I also pulled out all the rudder pieces and glued up those sandwich parts while I had the wood glue out.
Ken Lapointe is online now Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
Old Sep 14, 2008, 10:41 AM
Gaithersburg MD, United States
Joined Nov 2000
973 Posts
Sweet Ken!

I'll definitely be watching with interest as I have one of these tee'd up next to be built.

I bought my kit second hand with the scale struts, but no retracts. What are you using for retract units?

Paul
Tempest is online now Find More Posts by Tempest
Old Sep 14, 2008, 01:22 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
awesome ken! keep it coming!

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Sep 14, 2008, 06:30 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,379 Posts
Ken, start a build thread. I had one of these in the early 80's. Ofcourse with the Turbax and 7.5 K&B. Had a heck of a time with the CG. Not sure what the cause was. But it turned out forward of the specs. After that it was a dream to fly.

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin