HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2007, 11:26 PM
Joined Jun 2006
358 Posts
Discussion
35 year old 1/3 Scale Aeronca C-3 Conversion restoration.

I decided to convert my dadís 35-year-old 1/3 scale Aeronca C-3 to Electric. Some of you old timers out there might know my father (Brad Allen) He practically invented giant scale back in the 60ís. Way before their were big motors and strong servos he always found a way to make his giant planes fly.

This plane is no stand off scale plane. Each detail down to the individual ribs are exact scale. It has some fabric damage and some warping on the tail surfaces but nothing that canít be fixed.

I plan on restoring the plane first and then converting it to electric. Right now it weighs 30 pounds with about 6 pounds of lead in the nose. I think I can electrify it and even take off a few pounds...

Sorry for the Typo's on the attachments...
dlgloco is offline Find More Posts by dlgloco
Last edited by dlgloco; Apr 08, 2007 at 11:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2007, 10:08 AM
In NY's beautifull hills
Binghamton Broome Cty, New York, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,126 Posts
One thing you might try to check w/ an airframe this old is the glue joint deterioration---unless certified aircraft grade or comparable adhesives were used . Non certified epoxy is especially brittle w/ age .
I can remember a blue C-3 at nearby Chenango Bridge airport when I was a kid & my dad was getting his private license.
staggerwing is offline Find More Posts by staggerwing
Old Apr 09, 2007, 01:51 PM
Joined Jun 2006
358 Posts
Good adviseÖ I have done a pretty good inspection and most if not all the glue joints look good. Most of the main structural parts are welded so I don't think I will have a problem. I am more concerned with updating the radio, servoís and control linkages. My dad has given away lots of his planes over the years as he has tired of them and most are still flying some are over 50 years old
dlgloco is offline Find More Posts by dlgloco
Old May 07, 2007, 10:01 PM
Kissimmee, FL
Joined Mar 2001
123 Posts
Wow! That will be a fantastic project. Should fly very nicely on not much more than 1500-2000 watts. You can use the new A123 Lipo cells. (cheap and you can use the extra weight anyway) In fact you will have more performance than it did originally becouse you will be turning a much larger prop at a more efficient rpm. I would also replace all the radio equipment and go to one of the new spread spectrum systems with some modern servos. (great peace of mind)

Keep us posted!

Sean
Sean Sweeney is offline Find More Posts by Sean Sweeney
Old May 27, 2007, 10:47 AM
York England
Joined Jul 2002
590 Posts
great looking C3. i have just converted a very old/tired Aeronca C1 to electric. Flown with 2.4Ghz Spektrum.
4S 3700 flightpower gives 35 amps with 13 x 6.5 apce so 510 watts. 60 w/lb
model weighs, with action man + dummy motor ( 13 oz!!) a total ready to fly 140 oz or 8 and 3/4lb with wing span 82x12=984in2 or 6.8 ft2... 21oz/ft2
Dummy motor and cowl weighed 13 oz but were needed to balance aircraft. It was fitted with a 60 four stroke before.
Test flown without chin panel for cooling of motor/speedcontroller and battery.After landing all cold to the touch.
8 to 9 min flight with touch and goes/landings consumed 2200 mah with power for the cruise at a little less than 1/2 throttle. bill
gyronuts is online now Find More Posts by gyronuts
Last edited by gyronuts; May 27, 2007 at 10:53 AM.
Old May 04, 2009, 08:45 PM
Play Nice, Have fun
Davis California
Joined Apr 2006
15 Posts
C3

Hi Guy's
I use to own one that had a 9 foot wing years ago, Do you happen to know were I can get some plans for this plane, I just love it
WhoDaMan is offline Find More Posts by WhoDaMan
Old May 07, 2009, 07:48 AM
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Great Model and a cool car in the background, as for plans well its a scaled construction...You might start with searching for the real things plans on the net ......VULA the vintage Ultralight Association would have been the place to go but hes restricted access to images, If you go down to free plans and great links the sticky in waterplanes you will find a link to the Portugeuse equiv. They may have a free download of the original, I have seen it listed. Its in the first section.

Good hunting use the heavier cells in the nose under the motor you will need to maintain your CofG loosing that engine and the balast will make it difficult otherwise to balance without adding even more balast...its a bit like a vintage short nosed FF model.
great project!
Clive

here you go http://www.ultraligero.net/ingles/index_i.htm
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; May 09, 2009 at 02:26 PM.