HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2007, 04:55 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
Gallery
Westport Mayhem!

Westport Lake, located in Stoke on Trent, England, is the home waters of the Potteries Model Boat club. Activities in the club are diverse, with some of the members prefering to race Fast Electric, some like yachts, and others like tugs, though some members also have a few warships and scale boats.

Once every Month through the season there is a fast electric race meeting, and on another week during the month, the yacht mob get their toys out, sailing in the middle of the lake.

At the moment I have no up to date photographs, however starting on next sunday, there will be the first race of the fast electric season.

Due to a Council decree, sadly NO internal combustion models are allowed to run, however Steam, electric and sail are permitted to run.
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2007, 06:38 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,833 Posts
Can't wate to see all the action to come.
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
Old Apr 08, 2007, 11:14 PM
Liverpool, England.
Joined Mar 2007
19 Posts
That looks lovely.
Jayshum is offline Find More Posts by Jayshum
Old Apr 09, 2007, 08:42 AM
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
it is a lovelly calm lake, until the 500-race guys get going, and churn it up! that is a sight to see, so expect pics of the event.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 08:46 AM
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
Report Sunday 15th April

Sunday 15th April was the fast electric day, the racing normally takes place from the jetty, however due to a large amount of debris on the water, it was decided to hold the event at the south-west corner of the lake, what i refer to as the Beach because of its shallow water that slopes off into the deeper portion of the lake.

Each of the races lasts 5 minutes, the boats run on standard 540 type crimped can motors and use 2000mah 7.2v ni-cad cells, mostly all sub-surface drive, this is to put competitors onto a level playing field.

Saling from the Jetty were the scale boys mainly to stay clear of the racers, it also saw two maiden voyages, Club Secratary, Terry Edwards, had brought his Model Slipway "Villestroom" bouy-handling vessel down to the lake along with his Model Slipway "rescue craft", which I think is a Trent class lifeboat.

The Villestroom has several working features, these being working navigation lights, radars, and even the Radar displays work. The model has two steered Kort nozzles which when swung over give the model an excellent turning circle, able to spin on its bow without the need for differential thrust.

The oldest boat to attend today was a Glynn Guest plan coastal steamer, however its water time was limited due to poor batteries. It is however a nice model, and close scale judging by the railings to Gemini, My Graupner Neptun kit.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 10:27 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,595 Posts
That new boat, the Villestroom, is very nice indeed!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Apr 15, 2007, 10:52 AM
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
yup she got second at Crewe militaire. The lil rescue boat was basically a floatation test as she had reached the point of sea worthiness. Terry Edwards is a good model maker.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 07:19 AM
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
April 22nd Yacht racing

Westport today saw its usual band of yacht racers decend on the lake, sailing in the middle area of the lake rather than off the jetty as that area is generally too sheltered. The middle area catches wind that blows off the main lake to the north, therefore yachts are able to have a better day sailing.

(pics to follow)
Old Apr 22, 2007, 11:04 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,377 Posts
Looks like you guys are having a good time over there, Ghost! Nice boats!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Apr 30, 2007, 04:55 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,595 Posts
Awesome piccies Ghost!

Is that a Huntsman? I really like that style of boat. And I love the water skier. That is so cool. And the DUKW is awesome too. Wow, nice variety this time!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old May 02, 2007, 03:20 PM
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
yep thats a huntsman

That DUKW is a problematic one, it blew its wet drive esc as she came out of the water, though chances are it will be back in the water soon, I may put my camera ON it and have the owner drive into the water and then drive back out with a drivers eye view. (just hope i dont dunk the camera!)

Tony Hill's waterski dolls and aquariva are now about 25 years old I think and it still shifts. 2x 700BB turbo motors in her! another trick up the aquarivas sleeve is the skippers head rotates on a servo and the hand waves!
Last edited by Ghost 2501; May 02, 2007 at 03:28 PM.
Old May 02, 2007, 04:14 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
9,828 Posts
Nice pics all around, is this going to become like the Mayhem eur-regulars?

(I don't have a dukw....
Maybe you mean't CGbob...)
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki