Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Apr 07, 2007, 01:22 PM
Joined May 2005
816 Posts
Discussion
Please boycott this e-bay sale

It has come to my attention that one of the forum members, who recently caused quite a stir with his reports of crashing his plane into a school where a weekend yoga class was in session, has now put his junked airframe up for sale on e-bay. His listing is here:

direct link removed. You can look it up, though:
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...trypage=search

The reason he is selling this worthless hulk on e-bay is apparently because he feels he is some kind of minor celebrity. Frankly, this is not the message that I think helps our cause in any way. As we all agreed, the plane should never have been flown on a non-AMA approved field, due to its configuration and power. The accident was dangerous enough, but now it appears hes bragging about crashing into the school. kogibankole, if you're listening, please pull your e-bay listing. This is just not appropriate.
caseih is offline Find More Posts by caseih
Last edited by caseih; Apr 07, 2007 at 01:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2007, 01:28 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,322 Posts
The winning bidder will get a full description (hand written) of what happened. The plane comes as pictured. I took the picture with the servos still installed, but ill have to remove them to ship unless the winning bidder wants them and is willing to pay extra for them.

The plane comes as the bomb squad gave it to me. I included a link to teh news on KOAT,http://www.kobtv.com/snapshotskob/html/31196.html and i would ahev included the link to my schools news paper(daily lobo) but I cant seem to find it.

that is totally ridiculous,i bought a edf off this guy awhile back but nothing anymore! You don't brag about hitting a school at 130 mph,knowing that the plane is far to fast to fly where it was flown.
MustangAce17 is online now Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Apr 07, 2007, 01:30 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Unfortunately, I can't find an E-bay rule that has been violated.

He's selling a piece of trash. Hopefully it won't sell and he'll be stuck just paying the e-bay listing fee.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Apr 07, 2007, 01:42 PM
Joined May 2005
816 Posts
There's nothing illegal about the listing. It's just inappropriate. As I stated, this entire incident only contributes to further curbing of the places where we can fly, and makes us look even more childish. Plus it reinforces the idea that many people have that our hobby is too dangerous for parks.

I used to have no problems flying with people around. I'd fly over soccer games, and most people were fine with that. I would never do any aerobatics over people, but I'd fly over them all the time. I know that my airplane just won't fall out of the sky and I have faith in my abilities as a pilot to safely guide the plane over people's heads and land it in a safe area. However lately I won't fly if there are more than a few people at the park. It's not that I feel I'm at risk of causing damage. Rather it's stories like this that make me really wary now of flying with people around, or too near a school. I think that I was foolish to not feel these things before (this story notwithstanding). A little bit of caution, common sense, and discretion is really needed by our hobby.

A few years ago, your average flyer was more cautious, exercised more common sense, and had discretion. By and large they were older and more experienced. They had to fly at AMA fields because of the type of aircraft that were commonly flown. Now with the flourishing of the parkflyer electric RC, the barrier to entry into the hobby is lower and lower. This is a good thing. However, with it come younger, more impulsive people. Somehow he have to instill some core values in ourselves and the people we introduce to the hobby. So far I've taught 2 or 3 people how to fly and they are now avid park flyers. Fortunately they exercise a fair amount of restraint and maturity.
Old Apr 07, 2007, 01:45 PM
Make 'n Break!!
Walled 'tucky, MI. USA
Joined Apr 2006
1,766 Posts
First of all I would never had posted a link to his for sale item. You're just giving him free advertising. Secondly I don't agree that a plane of that nature should only be flown at an AMA approved field. Thirdly I do agree that this person has no common sense and is apparently quite ignorant. It's people like this that give non AMA field flyers a bad rep.

Arte there people out there that collect examples of ignorance? Why would anyone want to buy it in the first place?

BTW shouldn't that plane be alot faster? 1200 watts! What a joke.
roosevelt is offline Find More Posts by roosevelt
Old Apr 07, 2007, 01:51 PM
Joined May 2005
816 Posts
Your point is well taken. Had all the lipos caught fire (what, 7 cells?), there would have been a disaster that would have impacted our hobby for years. As it was, the bomb squad was called out. I've redacted the direct ebay link.
Old Apr 07, 2007, 02:19 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
What some people do to try to get money......
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Apr 07, 2007, 02:33 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
USA, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Dec 2006
4,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseih
There's nothing illegal about the listing. It's just inappropriate. As I stated, this entire incident only contributes to further curbing of the places where we can fly, and makes us look even more childish. Plus it reinforces the idea that many people have that our hobby is too dangerous for parks.

I used to have no problems flying with people around. I'd fly over soccer games, and most people were fine with that. I would never do any aerobatics over people, but I'd fly over them all the time. I know that my airplane just won't fall out of the sky and I have faith in my abilities as a pilot to safely guide the plane over people's heads and land it in a safe area. However lately I won't fly if there are more than a few people at the park. It's not that I feel I'm at risk of causing damage. Rather it's stories like this that make me really wary now of flying with people around, or too near a school. I think that I was foolish to not feel these things before (this story notwithstanding). A little bit of caution, common sense, and discretion is really needed by our hobby.

A few years ago, your average flyer was more cautious, exercised more common sense, and had discretion. By and large they were older and more experienced. They had to fly at AMA fields because of the type of aircraft that were commonly flown. Now with the flourishing of the parkflyer electric RC, the barrier to entry into the hobby is lower and lower. This is a good thing. However, with it come younger, more impulsive people. Somehow he have to instill some core values in ourselves and the people we introduce to the hobby. So far I've taught 2 or 3 people how to fly and they are now avid park flyers. Fortunately they exercise a fair amount of restraint and maturity.
I think most people really like to sit and watch someone flying a slow park flyer while walking in the park and aren't afraid of any danger, but the pilot should be skilled at flying unlike me. I for one did enjoy watching them and decided to try it for myself.

I tried to fly my Superstar EP without any training and a fellow with a little more experience then what I had in a large field that I thought was huge. But with my lack of experience it was quite small. Needless to say, the plane did a nose dive into a fenced area that was a Luxury motor coach business. Fortunately it didn't hit anyone or anything other then a pile of dirt and weeds.

That was the lst time I attempted to fly the plane and went directly out and joined AMA as well as a flying club.

I was lucky that my ignorance of this hobby didn't get someone hurt or cause property damage that could have easily been $1000.00 or more. I liken this hobby to be like putting a loaded gun in the hands of a child. It can be a dangerous hobby that I think sometimes people tend to forget when they start getting a little more cocky with added experience.
mtdoramike is offline Find More Posts by mtdoramike
Old Apr 07, 2007, 02:34 PM
Never fast enough...
San Diego, CA
Joined Oct 2006
660 Posts
What a complete idiot
Reman is offline Find More Posts by Reman
Old Apr 07, 2007, 02:37 PM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
I liked the description. "It crashed when my DX6 radio locked. This happened just after a dive at full throttle down wind (15mph). I suspect it was doing about 130-135 when it hit and broke through the window of an ongoing Yoga class. No one was hurt." Adds more evidence to the overstressed airframe couldn't pull out of the dive and nothing to do with the radio. How close to the building was he flying that way?
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Old Apr 07, 2007, 02:49 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
"no one was hurt" is a lie. A student was cut by flying glass. Might have been just a small scratch... but its still an injury.

The owner of that converted twinjet is eventually going to cause a major injury or kill someone and still blame his equipment rather than his lack of paying the least attention to safety...

He blames the radio now. I wonder what equipment failure he'll blame when he kills someone.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Apr 07, 2007, 02:54 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,281 Posts
roosevelt
This airplane in its stock configuration is indeed a parkflyer. However when you install a motor that overpowers the airframe by a factor of at least 10 it becomes unsuitable as a parkflyer and should be flown only at a very large venue with adequate precautions.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Apr 07, 2007, 03:14 PM
Joined May 2005
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPSU21
I liked the description. "It crashed when my DX6 radio locked. This happened just after a dive at full throttle down wind (15mph). I suspect it was doing about 130-135 when it hit and broke through the window of an ongoing Yoga class. No one was hurt." Adds more evidence to the overstressed airframe couldn't pull out of the dive and nothing to do with the radio. How close to the building was he flying that way?
I believe the consensus was that his radio had nothing to do with the crash. I believe he likely burned out his electronics on his plane by way overpowering the thing. Anyway, discussion of the actual incident was here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=twinjet+crash

That thread is now closed, however.
Last edited by caseih; Apr 07, 2007 at 03:38 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2007, 03:39 PM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
I know that thread. I know that everyone else doesn't believe it was radio failure. We know that the kid is never going to understand that it might have possibly been his fault. He started a thread regarding DX7's right after that one was closed looking for a new radio.

This is also funny considering it's now on sale so it apparently wasn't thrown out.

"too bad that i already removed my servos and other stuff and proudly threw the remains away yesterday after the chief detective gave it back to me....(on site)"
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Old Apr 07, 2007, 03:50 PM
Make 'n Break!!
Walled 'tucky, MI. USA
Joined Apr 2006
1,766 Posts
It very likely could have been a radio failure. It's still his fault. Even if the airframe was reinforced to handle the extreme power he forced onto it.

Dive bombing an occupied building is not good sense regardless of the quality or reliability of your equipment.

I hope the spektrum users aren't relying on their"glitchfree" devices as an excuse to fly over people and property.

It's kinda like saying " It's ok to point my loaded gun at your head as long as I don't pull the trigger"
roosevelt is offline Find More Posts by roosevelt
Closed Thread