HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2007, 10:10 AM
Crescent Beach BC
Joined Apr 2007
109 Posts
Question
Old Technology - New Condition

Hello All,

My first post here. Back in the late 80's, early 90's, I bought an electric plane, which the name eludes me, and flew it until I had crashed it enough times to make it well beyond repairable. I then decided to take the next step by purchasing (2) sets of radios, servos, etc. and (2) kits; one glider and one spitfire, for which I was going to build and fly. I began building the balsa wood spitfire, but then marriage and kids happened. The glider seems to have disappeared during the last move. I now have a partially built spitfire and all the electronics and gear from days gone by, all literally brand new and never used. The radios are Futaba ATTACK AM radios.

After recently seeing the incredible selection of ARF and RTF available on the market today, I would like to get back into flying again, however I'm not sure what path to take at this point. I don't have the time or resources to build the spitfire, but am not sure what to do with it.

My question would be, is the equipment I have worth anything, considering it's old technology, but still new and unused? Should I simply scrap it and start over or are there those who still might find it usable?

Thanks.
Jim.
jimsz is offline Find More Posts by jimsz
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2007, 10:47 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsz
Hello All,

My first post here. Back in the late 80's, early 90's, I bought an electric plane, which the name eludes me, and flew it until I had crashed it enough times to make it well beyond repairable. I then decided to take the next step by purchasing (2) sets of radios, servos, etc. and (2) kits; one glider and one spitfire, for which I was going to build and fly. I began building the balsa wood spitfire, but then marriage and kids happened. The glider seems to have disappeared during the last move. I now have a partially built spitfire and all the electronics and gear from days gone by, all literally brand new and never used. The radios are Futaba ATTACK AM radios.

After recently seeing the incredible selection of ARF and RTF available on the market today, I would like to get back into flying again, however I'm not sure what path to take at this point. I don't have the time or resources to build the spitfire, but am not sure what to do with it.

My question would be, is the equipment I have worth anything, considering it's old technology, but still new and unused? Should I simply scrap it and start over or are there those who still might find it usable?

Thanks.
Jim.
Nobody should be putting the Attack series radio down... I've had two radios in my flying career, Attack4 (yup, on AM) and my current Futaba 7CAP. And I've only had the 7CAP for a couple of years. Up to that point, for well over 15 years, my Attack served me great. Awesome radio

...the only issue you may get with AM is the sharing the band with other devices, but in practice, it shouldn't be a factor at all.

The servos will be a bit big for the small planes of today, that would be the only hiccup. If you stay around the 40" mark though, all the gear can be used.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Apr 07, 2007, 10:57 AM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
The attack4 may be gold label so still useable. I had one I used for a long time. I've still got a frame rate speedcontrol/esc combination thing sitting around for it though the TX is long gone. Converted it to land band for use in a boat.

You'll probably need to get a new TX battery for it. Otherwise there probably isn't any good reason not to use it. Couldn't be any worse then some of the FM single conversion RX's out there.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Old Apr 07, 2007, 11:00 AM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,534 Posts
If you have done little or no flying get a GWS Slowstick! It can handle a lot of weight that some other planes won't. Takes next to no time to assemble and is easy to fly.
You can use what you have just fine with it.
By the way, Welcome to RC Groups and back to the hobby!
If you post where you are located I bet there is someone near by that would be happy to help you get into the swing of things.
Wes
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old Apr 07, 2007, 11:03 AM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,199 Posts
I'm an old style guy who grew up on gliders, then diesel motors and C/L planes - but I've adapted to the electric era!

The problem with "old technology" is that the Tx is AM (presumably 27mHz) - other than some of the all-in-one package cheap RTF planes, almost everyone uses 72mHz FM. (75mHz FM is for surface use only). AM has limited range and is prone to interference. Getting replacement parts for 27mHz equipment is not easy because most makers of these 27mHz RTF's use their own stuff which is not interchangeable with other makers equipment. When you move to 72mHz FM parts are pretty much interchangeable - even to the extent of -ve/+ve shift.

The other thing is that modern Rx's and servos and speed controls are much smaller, lighter and better than the bulky old stuff.

Any plane you build is likely to have far better performance with lighter equipment, a brushless motor and Lipo batteries.

You can get a decent array of gear relatively cheaply these days - so I would say - put the AM stuff in a museum, and join the 21st century.

Cheers, Phil
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Apr 07, 2007, 11:21 AM
Aberdeen, WA
Joined Sep 2001
315 Posts
I think all of the Attack (sp) AM series of Futaba from the late 80's to
early 90's were all on 72 mhz. I know my buddy has about 5 of
them on 72mhz.
Ben
benlo2d is offline Find More Posts by benlo2d
Old Apr 07, 2007, 11:25 AM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,106 Posts
Never throw anything that is still in good condition.
If you want to get rid of it send me a PM about the radio and the price you want. I donate good gear to all types of non-profit organizations.

They would appreciate a boat or plane that is RC'd.

Richard
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Apr 07, 2007, 11:55 AM
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
The Attack4 AM's were 72mhz and normal (father then you can see it looking straight up) range. This is totally different then the 27mhz junk coming in cheap RTF planes. This was a really common radio at the flying field back in the late 80's and early 90's as someone mentioned.
Old Apr 07, 2007, 12:04 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,106 Posts
Harbor Freight has a CUB that is over out of sight.

Putting a 2208 in it. Should catch some 3d going vertical.
Old Apr 07, 2007, 12:58 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,199 Posts
I stand corrected, yet again!
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Apr 07, 2007, 01:32 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,106 Posts
I am spending almost as much time asking for help as trying to give it.
Old Apr 07, 2007, 02:19 PM
Crescent Beach BC
Joined Apr 2007
109 Posts
Before going any further, I thought to put up a few pics of what I do have left. After going through everything (I think) I found quite a bit of stuff missing with no idea where it might be. No, receivers, one servo, no motor (Graupner) or prop, one wheel and few other odds and ends. I used to have everything to complete the spitfire, but alas...

Anyways, here are the radios - can I still get receivers for these, or am I hooped?

Attack - 4 FP-T4NBL - AM72
Freq. 72.350 and 72.790

Can I still use the Protech Nicad fastcharger for anything?

Last edited by jimsz; Apr 07, 2007 at 03:29 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2007, 02:24 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
I'd get a new charger. Peak chargers are pretty inexpensive now compared to what they used to be.
Old Apr 07, 2007, 02:50 PM
Crescent Beach BC
Joined Apr 2007
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM
If you stay around the 40" mark though, all the gear can be used.
That would be great if I could use both radios, that would certainly save me a few bucks in getting started again, and I could get my son involved by having 2 planes.

I would also like to reuse the NiCad charger if I could, perhaps even as a power source for another charger? My thoughts are to move directly into LiPo batteries and brushless engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPSU21
The attack4 may be gold label so still useable.
Is that the gold label on the back in the pic above?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987tc
If you have done little or no flying get a GWS Slowstick! It can handle a lot of weight that some other planes won't. Takes next to no time to assemble and is easy to fly.
You can use what you have just fine with it.
By the way, Welcome to RC Groups and back to the hobby!
Thanks for the welcome! I've done some flying, both RC and 172's - even flew a Mooney once! For myself, I'd like to move right into a warbird of some kind, maybe another spitfire or p-51. I can't believe you can get DR.1's - they look awesome!

Of course, I know I should start out with something a little easier, so I thought perhaps a Cub J3, that I could use to re-teach myself and then teach my son. I like the one made by Dare and read somewhere here they look relatively authentic in the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kiwi
You can get a decent array of gear relatively cheaply these days - so I would say - put the AM stuff in a museum, and join the 21st century.
That's kinda my thoughts, too. I was just hoping to be able to reuse some of that old gear. But, I think you're right. Maybe it's time to move onward and upward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2
If you want to get rid of it send me a PM about the radio and the price you want. I donate good gear to all types of non-profit organizations.
That's a good idea. I'll let you know if I go that route.

Quote:
Harbor Freight has a CUB that is over out of sight.
This one? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92906
Old Apr 07, 2007, 03:26 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
Yeah, that is the gold label sticker. Way back when we had only the even numbered channels to use. At some point they started the gold label "narrowband" transmitter so that the odd numbered channels could be used. Some radios that were manufactured before the gold labels were used could be sent back to the manufacturer to be tuned and certified and given the gold labels.

You definetely can't use that charger for charging lipos. It really wouldn't do you much good at all as a powersupply either. If you want to use Lipos you really do need to go get a new charger.