HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2002, 03:14 AM
Oz Member
Near Mallala, South Oz
Joined Nov 2001
161 Posts
EP and R/C Keil Kraft Chief?

Any body converted this old kit to firstly R/C and secondly to Electric? I've inherited one, and I'm thinking with a geared 400 (mainly 'cause i got a mini olympus kicking around and suitable cell packs) it would make a relaxing "climb and soar" model. Sort of an "old timer" style of thing. (Well it is OLD!)
Ragnar is offline Find More Posts by Ragnar
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2002, 07:48 AM
Cambridge, UK
Joined Mar 2002
16 Posts
Funny you should say that...it was being given a part built KK Chief 50 years ago (!) that really got me going in aeromodelling, although I had been building several of the KK 3/6d kits for several years previous to then.

I actually have a part built one (fuz only, so far) sitting on the shelf beside me!

I bought the kit with the intention of electrocuting it, but decided it would need some serious strengthening up in the wing attachment area.

I then got sidetracked (as you do...) and it's been gathering dust ever since.

It would need to flown with some sympathy for it's construction, and it's weight kept to a minimum to keep it's nice flight characteristics.

I think you've just got me interested (again)
"e-flier" is offline Find More Posts by "e-flier"
Last edited by "e-flier"; Oct 16, 2002 at 11:05 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 05:14 PM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,509 Posts
Hey! Where'd the picture go?

I too was given one of these as a kid, about 35 years ago. I never flew it though; as I recall it fell of its perch on top of the wardrobe, landed upsidedown on the wingtips, and the resultant pressure split the wing-tongue box wide open. I think the 'Mum tidying-up' factor came into force soon after......

Based on that experience, if I were to convert on now then I'd certainly wrap the wing box in kevlar thread or just plain glasscloth.

What span was it? 64"? The simple power option sounds like a geared S600 class & 12" prop on 7/8 cells. No need for a vertical climb here.

On a similar theme, does anyone recall another KK kit - the Topper?

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Oct 16, 2002, 09:39 PM
Oz Member
Near Mallala, South Oz
Joined Nov 2001
161 Posts
Thanks guys!
Tim, I was thinking more along the lines of geared 400, and 9" mainly so I can use smaller/lighter cells, along the lines of what e-flier was saying. The idea was for a slow, crusier.
Old Oct 17, 2002, 04:26 AM
Cambridge, UK
Joined Mar 2002
16 Posts
Sorry about the picture Tim. it was too big so I tried to edit it and it disappeared into cyberspace! It's restored now, hopefully...

I flew my original Chief for about three years, until it met it's eventual demise in an overlong flight over the river into a Tv aerial. I loved that glider!

I just blew the dust off the box and had a look at the plan. The wing area is only 400 sq in.
I would use a retimed and run in 6v Speed400, 4.5:1 Cosmotech gearbox and an 11x8 Graupner Camprop.
For my battery I would use 8 x AR500's. or maybe even 8 x CP1300's if the extra weight seemed ok.

Don't even think about a Speed 600 'cos you would then need subC cells and the whole thing would get far too heavy for such a fragile model.
Old Oct 17, 2002, 03:58 PM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,509 Posts
e flier,

Thanks for restoring the pic!

You're probably quite right about the power system; I've realised that I'm remembering the model from when I was a 10-year-old. It seemed massive then!

Does yours have the fused d/t tailplane? That would be great under r/c control.....

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Oct 17, 2002, 05:15 PM
Cambridge, UK
Joined Mar 2002
16 Posts
Third try...
Previewing reply is NOT a good idea if you then close the page...

Anyway...
I reduced the picture size to 50%, so it fits now.

There *was* mention of a D/T but it wouldn't have occurred to me to R/C it!

I remember now that I stopped building it due to the "Robin Hood's Oak" wood in the kit. Typical KK stuff!

Roger
Old Oct 17, 2002, 11:19 PM
Oz Member
Near Mallala, South Oz
Joined Nov 2001
161 Posts
I agree about the 600 needing too heavy a battery pack, which is why I thought of the geared400 idea, BUT last night I found a GWS geared 280 I had kicking around which I'd never used 'cause it wa geared (5.33) for a 12-13" prop, and none of my parkfliers had the ground clearance for such a large prop. So I fitted a GWS 12x8 prop, and WOW did it move some air! as this combo weighs even less than the 400 option, and I can use 1000mAh NiMH cells, I don't think weight will be an issue, and the snowball effect of adding more structure to support the weight, more weight in the structure.....MMMM now to find the time.
btw, the aircraft currently has the DT tail, auto rudder etc. fitted, but they'll come out when I fit a bigger rudder (about 30% of the total fin area?) and fit elevators. Again about 30%, those figures are using the LARTM method. (Looks About Right To Me )
Old Jan 05, 2004, 08:00 PM
chester
Joined Jan 2004
5 Posts
i disagree i have a cheif mr deans fine machine with a speed 600 and a mp jet g box turning on a 12 x 10 and boy does it go well..weight 2 ibs 2 oz with 1700 mah 6 cell pack and jeti speedo.
Built light with mylar and tissue it flies very well.
Do a lot of indoor scale rc so applied some lessons learnt with carbon and mylar to super effect infact it really cheeses the artf fibreglass brigade of at a recent fly off.
I have to say that getting the motor is was no mean feat allied with the nose problem found a leicht spinner as fitted to a spitfire RBC kit looked great and in the air hard to see its been ep converted.
Some of the newer 400's might offer a viable alternative but i sought economy with reasonable performance and i think i have acheived it here with excellent results
rgds
modelman is offline Find More Posts by modelman
Old Jan 05, 2004, 08:01 PM
chester
Joined Jan 2004
5 Posts
topper

yes i may have aplan for the topper with its v tail
modelman is offline Find More Posts by modelman
Old Oct 07, 2009, 06:36 AM
Isle of Mull Arglll
Joined Mar 2006
2 Posts
tom brough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar
Any body converted this old kit to firstly R/C and secondly to Electric? I've inherited one, and I'm thinking with a geared 400 (mainly 'cause i got a mini olympus kicking around and suitable cell packs) it would make a relaxing "climb and soar" model. Sort of an "old timer" style of thing. (Well it is OLD!)
yes I converted a kk chief rudder elevator and pylon mounted 200w electric motor 1300 lipo not yet flown
hillside71668.fs is offline Find More Posts by hillside71668.fs