Old Apr 07, 2007, 05:21 AM
Nemo in a blender
The Netherlands-Amsterdam
Joined Mar 2007
940 Posts
Discussion
UNAV's Picopilot NAT-->do or don't?

Hey to all you guys,

Since a while (actually since oct.2006) I've been looking for a reasonably priced and well performing autopilot.
I've seen a lot passing by,but one I couldn't forget about was the Picopilot nat version of UNAV.
The specs are promising but how does it perform in the field?

I've been looking on the internet for some feedback of endusers,but couldn't find satisfying information that would make me order the AP without hesitation.

So,who has one and can tell me some good/bad news about this AP?

Thanks in advance
Connexxion is offline Find More Posts by Connexxion
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2007, 09:33 AM
Old fart. VAAATSP
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Joined Jun 2004
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connexxion
Hey to all you guys,

Since a while (actually since oct.2006) I've been looking for a reasonably priced and well performing autopilot.
I've seen a lot passing by,but one I couldn't forget about was the Picopilot nat version of UNAV.
The specs are promising but how does it perform in the field?

I've been looking on the internet for some feedback of endusers,but couldn't find satisfying information that would make me order the AP without hesitation.

So,who has one and can tell me some good/bad news about this AP?

Thanks in advance
You will not be disappointed with the PicoPilot equipment. It is top quality and easy to install and set up.

Later;

D.W.
d_wheel is offline Find More Posts by d_wheel
Old Apr 07, 2007, 10:09 AM
Helsingborg, Sweden
Joined Sep 2001
1,815 Posts
Hello,

I agree with DW. I have been using the Picopilot NA for about 2 years now and I am really happy with it.
Check out the thread by 'workshop' (named something like Senior Telemaster + Picopilot) here for a good story about setting ut up and flying with the Picopilot.

/Icebear
icebear is offline Find More Posts by icebear
Old Apr 07, 2007, 01:37 PM
Tesla's Workshop
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2004
2,449 Posts
PicoPilot Value

I've set up two UAVs so far with PicoPilot. It's a smart package and does a great job. The embedded software is worth the price IMO.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511550

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631757

Jeff Parisse
www.teslacoil.com
workshop is online now Find More Posts by workshop
Old Apr 07, 2007, 03:21 PM
Nemo in a blender
Joined Mar 2007
940 Posts
Thanks for the comment you gave.

I found out it was really hard to find any one who experienced the picopilot.

Does the picopilot has any restrictions?As I recall,I read something about a maximum distance from departure point of 50 miles?Correct me if I'm wrong.
Are there any other restrictions regarding altitude and speed?

I believe I read something about a maximum speed of 50miles per hour.
Old Apr 07, 2007, 11:51 PM
Tesla's Workshop
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2004
2,449 Posts
Yes, the PicoPilot does have maximums for all or most of the parameters you mentioned. The exact data can be found at www.u-nav.com

PicoPilot's max values are WAY within reason for the type of mission that would prompt one to use a PicoPilot in the first place.

Jeff
workshop is online now Find More Posts by workshop
Old Apr 12, 2007, 05:38 AM
Nemo in a blender
Joined Mar 2007
940 Posts
Hi,

I just received a mail about the max distance the picopilot can handle.
It's not 50 miles from departure,but 50 miles between every waypoint!
Since the picopilot holds 32 waypoints, 50X32=1600miles in total.

I was wondering how well it performed in holding the altitude during flight.
I also read in a thread of workshop there were some issues with the picopilot holding it's speed it was engaged on.

Thanks a lot for the information you're sharing with others and keep on the good work.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 11:06 AM
Professor of Wood
Nampa. Idaho
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
Don't forget waypoint 32 isn't user accessible. When you power it up and Pico Pilot gets locks, memory slot 32 is loaded with your current location.

If you don't load any waypoints in at all, waypoint 32 still gets loaded with your location. This can be employed to prevent a fly off.

Waypoint manager in Pico Pilot skips waypoints beyond 50 miles as being wrong waypoints. It will skip right over it and go to the next waypoint. This is a built in safety feature to prevent a fat fingered programmer form sending the small UAV off into oblivion. Remember the Pico Pilot was designed for smaller planes but it can work with larger ones.

I'm not sure what you're plans are. But your excitement to have it fly 1600 miles is a little concerning. I don't think anyone has tried it but it might not come back to you. If you fly a straight line in 50 mile hops, (I would make them a little smaller for safety) when it finally makes way point 31 it might skip waypoint 32 since it won't be within the 50 mile range.

Thatís a software thing though and I don't think U-nav tried to make sure that was a function. You might need to do some homework on that one.

Dan
kd7ost is offline Find More Posts by kd7ost
Old Apr 12, 2007, 03:13 PM
Nemo in a blender
Joined Mar 2007
940 Posts
The fact that the picopilot can do 1600miles doesn't immediatly mean I'm gonna send my 40-trainer 1600miles away.And if I did that,it would be a tremendous achievement.Imagine that.

But what you're saying is that you have to keep the distance between waypoint 31 and waypoint 32 under 50 miles?
Old Apr 12, 2007, 03:43 PM
Professor of Wood
Nampa. Idaho
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connexxion
The fact that the picopilot can do 1600miles doesn't immediatly mean I'm gonna send my 40-trainer 1600miles away.And if I did that,it would be a tremendous achievement.Imagine that.

But what you're saying is that you have to keep the distance between waypoint 31 and waypoint 32 under 50 miles?
I don't know. I know that 50 miles is the maximum distance between waypoints.

And that waypoint 32 is automatically loaded from where your GPS gets lock when first powered up.

I don't know how the code works if trying to go between waypoint 31 and waypoint 32 if it is beyond 50 miles. That would be a question for UNAV. As far as I know it wasn't a design parameter so I'm not going to try to guess an answer for you.

Also, we don't know you're using a .40 size trainer. You never said that until now. The answers you get will only be as good as the questions you ask.

Dan
Old Apr 12, 2007, 09:36 PM
Thailand
Joined Apr 2006
317 Posts
Picopilot RTL

I brought Picopilot RTL for long but untill now I can not set it to work yet.

Please help me to get more understand about how to set the jumper as photo show below

And also the photo below, since I remove the sticker to show what direction to put to head of aircraft then now I confuse
ThaiskyDigital is offline Find More Posts by ThaiskyDigital
Old Apr 12, 2007, 09:55 PM
Professor of Wood
Nampa. Idaho
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
Your picture is one of two possible units. I can't see enough of them to tell which they are but can still help you.

Your direction is correct. The jumpers and wires go towards the rear of the aircraft.

As far as jumper, you likely are showing a picture of the Nav unit and not the Alt unit.

Jumper to the extreme left is for servo reversing. This doen't mean from your radio. You must set up your unit plane so when the nav unit is disabled you have correct direction. However, then you test the steering. You need the Nav unit to replicate your transmitter direction. The first jumper is for reversing your Nav unit's servo output.

The next two jumpers are for last waypoint and waypoint proximity output. You do not need them to fly.

The farthest right two are for factory programming to upgrade software if needed. Leave the jumpers in place on those two positions.

Dan
Old Apr 12, 2007, 11:33 PM
Thailand
Joined Apr 2006
317 Posts
Hi Dan

Thank a lot for your info.
When I do not connect this picopilot ( Return to lunch version or RTL) I can control the servo but after I connect RTL I can not move servo, what can be it cause?

Regard
Old Apr 12, 2007, 11:50 PM
Professor of Wood
Nampa. Idaho
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
The unit has an enable connector that needs to go to a spare channel. One way on the switch turns it off and the other way turns it on. You need to ensure this is connected and that it is disabled.

What kind of Radio and receiver are you using?

Dan
Old Apr 13, 2007, 01:00 AM
Thailand
Joined Apr 2006
317 Posts
Thank for info.
I use Futaba T9CHP

I connect the enable to Channel 7 and try to use Aux (VR) to control it but still not work.

Even I use other channel still can not work.

A few minute ago i desire to remove the yellow cover to see what inside.

The green board inside is Pico NAV2 which conncect with GPS uint I saw one green cable that do not connect to any point in the board.

Any thing wrong?

OH
Before I post this message , I foud that after I connect the unit and turn the radio control for long time, it show that now I can disable and enable and control the servo.

Is that it take long time to calibate>