SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 06, 2007, 09:04 PM
Suspended Account
Queens, NY
Joined Nov 2005
603 Posts
Discussion
Only mod the Air Hogs Havoc needs

Ok. I totally went all out on my first Havoc and did every mod possible. It flew fast, but was unstable.
But I learned exactly what I needed to know, what mod a brand new one needs to perform perfectly.

My problem was that it doesn't fly perfectly straight, they tend to fly to the left all the time. So I removed the tail rotor, and gently with pliers pulled the tail motor out half way by twisting it back and forth a little while pulling (I pulled mine out about 3-4mm). Put the tail rotor back on, it now goes perfectly straight.
If you need more forward flight, the only mods I would suggest is twisting the tail clockwise, and if you want it to hover again you can twist it counterclockwise. You can also do the scoop on the nose with tape, but it becomes very unstable when it goes forward too fast.

So those are the only things a Havoc needs done to be perfect.

To mod the radio I obviously took out the spring for the throttle, it makes it seem like a real radio and also allows you to focus more on the turns. Mainly I only use 1 click up or 1 click down to adjust the climb/descent.

I dont really need any trim when I start flying. Maybe 1 click but I tend to undo it because it stabilizes after I get to a level flight. I got a perfect one this time
badinstincts is offline Find More Posts by badinstincts
Last edited by badinstincts; Apr 07, 2007 at 02:02 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2007, 09:36 PM
FNG-4-Life
Bossier City LA
Joined Jan 2007
181 Posts
I noticed an improvement with relocating the tail motor as well, but I only moved it about a millimeter. You need to be carefull when moving the tail motor so you don't damage the power wires.
Pondafarr is offline Find More Posts by Pondafarr
Old Apr 06, 2007, 09:45 PM
Oregon, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,125 Posts
I gave the tail a bit of right twist, viewed from the rear. Also added a small hammerhead to the front. I am very pleased with its flight after these two easy mods. I actually like my throttle spring as it allows me to "shutdown" rather than crash with the blades spinning.

Hmm time for a sortie in the living room....
Tshires is offline Find More Posts by Tshires
Old Apr 07, 2007, 01:37 AM
Im stupider than you!
Pekin Illinois
Joined Aug 2006
1,722 Posts
Little strip of scotch tape along the boom,almost like a gyro
rhondaward is offline Find More Posts by rhondaward
Old Apr 07, 2007, 01:55 AM
Suspended Account
Queens, NY
Joined Nov 2005
603 Posts
Before I moved the tail motor I took the little strip of heat shrink off, then i moved it, and then I put the heat shrink back on (I figured its there for a reason and I didnt want to change the weight of the heli, I'm guessing the programming is set up so that when you change throttle the tail speed increases/decreases to compensate for the change, so at a different weight the tail motor will not be adjusted properly). My new yellow version (previous was blue) has thicker motor wires going to the tail motor, perhaps its one of the most up to date versions.

I've got 3 flights on it so far, its perfect. Flys exactly where I want it, the blades track perfectly, zero wobble, and it goes perfectly straight with my mod. I like that it goes a little slower than a heavily modified one, this way I can land on a 1sq foot area.

I also noticed that it doesn't lose that much height when i turn left and also it doesnt gain any when i turn right, however it doesn't climb out so sharply. The main blades look a little different too, they seem to have less pitch which requires a higher rpm to fly, but its a lot more stable. I flew the entire charge all 3 times, only 1 crash because i was blowing at it really hard to see how much wind it could handle. Seems I can actually fly this one at night with a small breeze and a little more clockwise twist for more forward flight.
Last edited by badinstincts; Apr 07, 2007 at 02:07 AM.
Old Apr 08, 2007, 06:57 PM
M16 CIII/AR15/FN 2000 and PS90
United States, AR, Waldron
Joined Jan 2005
521 Posts
When you are pulling the motor out 2mm-3mm are you pulling from the back or from the front (prop side) im just a little fuzzy here.
Robert
Denile is offline Find More Posts by Denile
Old Apr 08, 2007, 07:22 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
The motor is held in that cage on the back of the heli. There is only one way for it to go out. You either push it out from the back or pull it out from the front. Dont use the shaft to move the motor.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Apr 08, 2007, 07:46 PM
Suspended Account
Queens, NY
Joined Nov 2005
603 Posts
definitely not by the shaft. use pliers on the part of the case that sticks out. be very gently only hold the pliers hard enough so you can pull it out while turning back and forth slowly.

I've crashed a few times now, nothing serious, just fooling around trying to go around stuff or land somewhere, but i noticed that if you land where there is lots of dust (behind tables, sofas or whatever) the tail motor does begin to lose power. I simply blow at the tail rotor till it spins really fast and then all is good again. No need to dip it in alcohol yet.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 07:33 AM
Joined Jan 2010
120 Posts
thanks
pinktaco is offline Find More Posts by pinktaco