Old Oct 15, 2002, 10:32 PM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
World's smallest RC Trike? Test your knowledge

This tiny model weights 0.75 ounces and has a wingspan of 18"
with a wing loading of 2.86 oz/sq ft.

Name the equipment that this was designed for or take a wild guess what will allow it to fly.

Plan/Kit Poll: Put yourself on this list if you want a plan or are interested in a kit.

Mario I. Arguello
www.micro-flight.com
Mario is offline Find More Posts by Mario
Last edited by Mario; Oct 15, 2002 at 10:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2002, 10:44 PM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
Another photo
Old Oct 16, 2002, 10:56 AM
Formerly of mcba fame
Luxembourg
Joined Apr 2001
3,007 Posts
Cool

Though I dont love it so I had to vote on the last option

That motor looks like a KP00 but where is the rest of the equipment? Right now it looks like an FF model.

BTW, I'm not asking for a plan, is this thread the list you are referring to?

Matthew
Matthew Allen is offline Find More Posts by Matthew Allen
Old Oct 16, 2002, 01:42 PM
Thats NOT indestructible
London UK
Joined Apr 2002
1,448 Posts
Mario

I am still interested in all of your trike stuff

Give me some more info (dates, prices etc), or email me (jm_level@hotmail.com

Thanx

Josh
j8m8l is offline Find More Posts by j8m8l
Old Oct 16, 2002, 03:46 PM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
Hi Mathew,

Yes you are correct the motor is the popular KP00 with their pitchable props. The model is waiting to be fitted with electronics. I am not sure how the RFFS100 unit with actuators will work in this particular model since the control of such is not in the typical fashion ( 3/8 hole for the actuator and magnet directly glued to the control surface (Rudder/Elevator) and since I use a special mechanical system designed specifically for my trikes. But my expectations are that it will, since the model is extremly lightweight and one can install actuators in similar fashion to servos.

There are some folks that have designed tiny controllers. Dan Hurd's , Aerovironments, and others are some with controller possibilites that I hope to try on this particualr model. I hoped to attract their attention and perhaps share my finding of thier oproducts on these particualr Trike designs of mine.

I am still waiting on some actuators from Bob Selman, I think he is having a bit of hard time keeping up with demand for such. Understandably given the popularity of these micro machines requiring cush small ontroll devices.

I don't have the time to make my own controllers and people like Dan and ohters are doing awonderful job at making available these these tiny control systems to the public.

Josh,

You keep my inspiration with Trikes going!.

I realize Trikes are unique models that perhaps too modern and simplistic for people that like the more traditional models. Something like what I am desining has not been available before so perjhaps there is a bit of uncertainty about these models. SOmetimes people get a bit reserved with things that they are not too familiar with or don;t quite understand the working of it. People are more familiar with what they ofetn see and are more exposed to. Thus the popularity of more traditional models.

But when You see a Trike like my larger or even the smaller ones in flight, I am sure it will change aynone's perspective about these models. They fly majestically like real birds. My Mechanical control system allows for tight and precise tight radius turns and self leveling control, you have to see these things in action to believe. My neighbors have seen them fly and crash many times, they always comment "I can't believe that thing is still flyng" , this is what makes them attractive to me, try that with a bipe or more scalke model and you'll proibablyt end up aving to repqair the model when you land too hard or crash against an object.

In the next week or so I will have a video of the larger and hopefully the smaller ones as in this post. Depends how fast I get Dan's and Bob S parts for the micro trike posted here. Hopefully they'll come through and help me get this little trike up in the air sooner.

Mario I. Arguello
www.micro-flight.com
Old Oct 16, 2002, 07:42 PM
New York, NY
Joined Dec 2000
1,297 Posts
I'd prefer a version in the 3-4oz. category. I'm still not into the sub-ounce stuff mainly because I still have a bundle of westec and GWS stuff to use.

I myself love trikes/Rogallos/ultralights, whether RC or full size. So keep churning them out.

Jun Nolasco
nolasco is offline Find More Posts by nolasco
Last edited by nolasco; Oct 16, 2002 at 07:45 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2002, 05:28 AM
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Jul 2002
1,249 Posts
Mario, that was very intresting, Plans please!

// Fredrik Wergeland
Sweden
Fredrik W is offline Find More Posts by Fredrik W
Old Oct 17, 2002, 08:58 AM
Fayetteville, GA
Joined Oct 2000
3,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nolasco
I'd prefer a version in the 3-4oz. category. I'm still not into the sub-ounce stuff mainly because I still have a bundle of westec and GWS stuff to use.

I myself love trikes/Rogallos/ultralights, whether RC or full size. So keep churning them out.

Jun Nolasco
Ditto
Jeff Meyers is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Meyers
Old Oct 17, 2002, 11:21 AM
Thats NOT indestructible
London UK
Joined Apr 2002
1,448 Posts
Mario

Thank You

As you know, I am going to get a Z-tron, which i think would be fantastic for the "Nano-Trike". I am going to a indoor meeting, and am sure that if i went with one of these they would be amazed (they only allow scale, and this is!!!!)

Look forward to more information

Josh
j8m8l is offline Find More Posts by j8m8l
Old Nov 09, 2002, 04:16 AM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
30" RC Trike - Successful Flights!

I just flew a larger version of Trike in the photo above! . I decided to do a 30" version so that the popular Hitec 3 CH FM transmitter and Gws equipment could still be used. I don't have the new GWS motors and gear boxes so I had to make my own using a MIA Robin 280 micro heli ball bearing tail gear box with a thin light spur gear, MIA's stainless Steel 64P pinion, stainless steel 3/32 shaft and a Peck Polymer 6" prop.

It was a bit windy and dark already, lit only by the light of the cul-de-sac, butI coldn't wait to try it.

It flew almost as good as my larger version MIA RC Trike for park flying (See Park Flyers Section for photos of my larger versions). I need to desensitize the controls a little bit more so response is not as snappy, this is simply placoing the control rods one notch lower on the servo horns. I had a few rough landings but since the model is built from carbon and riptop nylon with spring wire landing gear, only the battery came loose nothing else happened, just like my larger versions. Once again my neighbors got a kick out of this new little gem.

I am so into these models, 1) because they are unique and there is nothing in the world like them, 2) they are a lot of fun and I don't have to worry about repairs, they are so light and indestructible!.

If I were to compare my Trike with another model that is popular by its indestructibility, it would have to be the IFO's since they are simple and built from similar materials. However, Trikes are more appealing because they look more realistic like the real thing and not just a flying wing. Although my trikes can snap and reover really fast and can do mild aerobatics, the IFO's are more aerobatic due to their all flat wing and control surfaces with in line motors.

I will take photos in daylight and post those next. This size will also be a kit.

Wing Span: 30"
Win area: 1 sq ft
Weight Incl. 7 cell NMH Battery: 2.5 oz
Wing Loading: 2.5 oz/sq ft

Power System: MIA Robin 280 micro heli tail gear box with 3/32 SS shaft and SS 64P pinion on N20 motor.
Prop: 6" Peck Polymer indoor prop.

Equipment:

Hitec Focus 3 channel FM TX with mixing.
2- Hitec Hs-50 servos
GWS 4ch micro receiver
GWS 2A ESC
Battery: 7 cell- 1/3 AAA NMH heavier by today's LiPol cells.
Model will fly muh lighter with 2 LIPOL 170mah or similar size cells.

Picture below shows model next to a small MIA ultralight and a lightweight indoor Heli.

Mario I. Arguello
www.micro-flight.com
Old Nov 09, 2002, 01:39 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Oct 2001
1,037 Posts
I would like one of the smaller ones for the rffs-100 system, very nice!
corey is offline Find More Posts by corey
Old Nov 09, 2002, 07:27 PM
South of Detroit
Joined Sep 2002
206 Posts
Indestructible? I like that idea. Put me down for the 30” parkflyer version.

More photos. Videos. Please.

Jay
Happy Hobit is offline Find More Posts by Happy Hobit
Old Nov 12, 2002, 09:44 PM
Permanently banned
Mesa, Arizona, USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,976 Posts
You got it!,

Some in flight photos.
Old Nov 13, 2002, 05:17 AM
Professional Goofball
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Dec 2000
1,001 Posts
I Want, I Need, I Have to Have NOW....

Don’t have the equipment for the 18" version but am VERY interested in a set of plans for the 30" version. I need something other than my absolutely awesome IFO to fly in front of my house. I love buzzing the elementary school 50 yards up the street and hearing the kids yell out make it do this and make it do that. This would definitely be a treat for both them and me.

I can't handle it much longer... I need one NOW...

Jeff
OCModels is offline Find More Posts by OCModels
Old Nov 13, 2002, 05:33 AM
Heli Guru In training
Wichita,Ks
Joined Oct 2002
63 Posts
I've been Searching for one of these to replace my Robbe Skyflex.
( Orig not 2000 )

Put me down for a 30" Model... I'M Not Joking !!!

n0jvt is offline Find More Posts by n0jvt