SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 15, 2002, 10:32 PM
Who's scaring the kittens
Joined Apr 2002
752 Posts
What Paint does GWS use?

Got our GWS Piper FD (full-fuse version) and it looks to be a sweet flier. I thought the foam was pre-tinted, but looking inside the fuse halves, the foam is white and the assemblies are painted. My son likes the yellow of this plane and my Graupner Mini-piper is a virgin white. Why should he have a nicely painted one, so I decided to do mine in an orange or red.
What type of paint do I use? Will it weigh down the plane? What is "foam-safe" in regards to using a water-based vs a petroleum base?
I'd rather spray than brush (I don't have an airbrush), so I need the type in an aresol can.
I'm new to painting, since I usually "decal" all my foamy park fliers.
Thanks for all help!
ViperR is offline Find More Posts by ViperR
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2002, 11:02 PM
Canada, BC, Nanaimo
Joined Jul 2002
336 Posts
I've used Testors model spray paint with no problems what so ever. When it came time to paint my GWS Beaver I went to Wal-Mart with big hopes of finding a nice spray paint. There were no labels explaining the type of paint it was. So I asked the employee that worked in the paint section. I told him what I needed, an acrylic that is foam safe, blah, blah, blah. He showed me what paints to use and I was on my way with my new spray paint cans. I masked off my beaver and painted. OH NO! I sat there and watched the foam bubble and get eaten away. Luckily I had only sprayed a light coat. So basically what I am saying is, if you find a paint, make sure that you test it on some scrap foam before.

Jason Loos
http://www.curtek.com
Blazin_Jason is offline Find More Posts by Blazin_Jason
Old Oct 16, 2002, 04:18 AM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
i have used many paints

on my birds and found that the best stuff (foam safe)
with out the guess work is usally found in the little overpriced cans at the hobby shop

testors is a predominate of course
also i have used Boyds..and Modelmasters

none of the above have ever eaten my foam

a good light coat of paint can add about 1 oz (28 to 30 grams)
of weight

Belgy
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy
Old Oct 16, 2002, 05:13 AM
Oxford, MS
Joined Apr 2002
1,134 Posts
I painted my Entire GWS Zero with Acryllics from walmart and a foam brush. It's cheap paint and goes a long way although it lacks some of the spray colors. I just squirt some out on a piece of cardboard etc and dab my brush in it and smear it on nice and even. It fills all the tiny gaps well and colors good. I didn't thin it with any water or anything. Also if done right you won't have any brush streaks. You can't tell I used a brush on mine although I only get streak less resuls with the foam brushes. Also means no tapping, or masking off. You can get 3 brushed for about $1 and they last ahile as long as you wash them. The acryllic paint also dries pretty quick and is easy to fix mistakes. Instead of masking you just use a smaller brush to paint lines of what-not's. The paint is about $1 a bottle for the cheap stuff and thats what I use. As long as your not looking for colors like "Gunmetel" or "Fokker Red" and can deal with x-mas red or pure red your good to go. I even used it for the canopy black and silver, and on the inside of the canopy it looks good. Although I used an actual brush so there's strokes. Just be nice and smooth wipe it on and spread it as far as it will go. One coat is all it takes and the color is so thick it doesn't seem affected by the color underneath.
Hopperfly22 is offline Find More Posts by Hopperfly22
Old Oct 16, 2002, 08:14 AM
Thats NOT indestructible
London UK
Joined Apr 2002
1,448 Posts
When you say acrlyics do you mean the stuff in those lil tubes??

Josh
j8m8l is offline Find More Posts by j8m8l
Old Oct 16, 2002, 08:39 AM
WAA pilot #167 (yeah baby!)
Far, Far, Far West Texas. ie. El Paso
Joined Aug 2002
950 Posts
My pico.

I had re-painted my GWS cub about a month ago. I used acrylic paint from the craft store. Yes, the kind in the tube. I used a spraygun, but you don't have to. IMHO if you thin the paint down and paint with a sponge brush you shouldn't end up with brush marks.

Before I painted, I sanded down the foam to remove the mold marks then I applied a coat of Minwax Polycrylic to help seal the surface. Actually from what I understand if you seal the foam with the polycrylic first, you can use ANY type of spray paint without damaging the foam.

Post some pictures when you are done.

-AH
Ahawk is offline Find More Posts by Ahawk
Old Oct 16, 2002, 08:40 AM
Joined Aug 2002
950 Posts
one more....

By the way, I found that a black magic marker works great to do the black windows.

-AH
Old Oct 16, 2002, 07:00 PM
Who's scaring the kittens
Joined Apr 2002
752 Posts
Hey Ahawk,
Excellent paint job! I mean it, too.
So any acrylic (water based) is foam safe? I'll test, of course, on scrap.
By the way, what is that plane? Is it a GWS like my sons', or a Multiplex?
Looks sharp! Thanks!
ViperR is offline Find More Posts by ViperR
Old Oct 16, 2002, 07:23 PM
Jefferson, GA
Joined Jul 2002
1,220 Posts
Ahawk,

Can you describe for me or provide close up pictures of the holders for your wing struts? I imagine these came with the kit, correct?

I want to add wing struts to a Mini Piper and need some type of holders like this.

ViperR,

I painted my Soarstar with a cheap Testors airbrush ($12 for everything needed) and Createx airbrush paint ($4 bottle) from a major crafts store. Worked great. I bought some acrylic paints at Wal-Mart (bottle, not tube) and will be thinning down with alcohol and blowing through the same airbrush for my Mini Piper. Will post how it comes out.

David J.
DavidJ is offline Find More Posts by DavidJ
Old Oct 16, 2002, 07:39 PM
Colonial Heights, Virginia, USA
Joined Mar 2001
1,710 Posts
new experiences of foam painting does have risks unless you practice/trial preferred paint techniques on scrap foam material similar to the model to be painted...... it has been mentioned that the "harmful melting " paint types are sometimes not effects of the paint pigments but from the "propellent" chemicals, including some ready to use acrylic types.... this might explain why some of the best performing & "safest" paints are pure airgun/airbrush applied (or just brushed on) ............ kw
KillerWatt is offline Find More Posts by KillerWatt
Old Oct 16, 2002, 07:39 PM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
allow me

those are the strut parts of the GWS a-1 parts tree
if you have built a tiger moth or just about any other gws model
you already gottem

i retro'd my pico stick fd with em
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy
Old Oct 16, 2002, 08:17 PM
Jefferson, GA
Joined Jul 2002
1,220 Posts
Thanks, Belgy. Unfortunately, I do not have them. Guess I will just have to go buy a TM so I can have these parts. "No, honey, it is not that I want another plane, there is just no other way to get these parts" .

Are the end pieces at the end of your struts part of the kit too?

Thanks,
David J.
DavidJ is offline Find More Posts by DavidJ
Old Oct 16, 2002, 08:56 PM
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Jun 2002
1,181 Posts
fascolor paint

you can use Fascolor RC Lexan car body paint..it works great..tons of colors and cleans up with water
mlehman is offline Find More Posts by mlehman
Old Oct 16, 2002, 09:08 PM
Senior Moment Member
Virginia Beach, Va.
Joined Jan 2002
1,233 Posts
Seems I remember reading that Horizon sells the A-1 parts tree as a separate item. It wouldn't justify shipping though unless you were getting some more stuff.

The parts tree has all the 'fixins' for two struts including the wing/fuse mounts, you supply the bamboo or CF rod.

Jimmy
Capt. Electron is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Electron
Last edited by Capt. Electron; Oct 16, 2002 at 09:12 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 09:49 PM
Joined Aug 2002
950 Posts
Hi guys

I was a little late with the reply... Belgy is exactly right, the strut mounts are left over GWS parts. I didn't want to cover the wing with packing tape, hence the dual struts. They work VERY well.

Thanks ViperR for the kind words. My Cub is a GWS. I think the fuselage looks longer than normal because of the way I did the windows. Actually my Cub is the first parkflyer I've built (reformed slimer). I'm having a ball with it. To date the mods on it are: Double struts, stronger landing gear w/foam wheels, steerable tailwheel, GWS EPS 100C 280 motor w/ 9x7 GWS prop, Du-bro micro pushrods and the previously mentioned paint job. I fly pretty much exclusively with 1600 mah Li-Ions. Performance is great with the 280. Climbs great at half throttle.

I had a good flight with the Cub this evening, and I hope ya'll don't mind some photos. I need to recruit the wife for camera duty, I don't have the coordination to fly and snap pics at the same time I was able to speck out at least 10 times, shut power down to idle, back down to the deck, touch and go, power on, back up!! Great fun!!!