SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 06, 2007, 03:35 AM
Peace
Kona, Hawaii
Joined Aug 2005
352 Posts
Discussion
MS Composit Maxi Swift

The picture is of a Maxi Swift we modified by putting the motor in the middle of the wing. We're astounded by the increased stability. Performance fell off significantly, but it flies and soars just great. We've tried several batteries, of various capacities, and weights, and there is no noticable difference in CG.

I think it would make a terrific trainer.
tioli is offline Find More Posts by tioli
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2007, 05:56 PM
SCAMMERS WELCOME!!!!!!!!!
Kent, WA
Joined Dec 2003
2,797 Posts
very cool! so when you say erformance fell off noticeably: you mean b/c of the decreased propwash area or something, it doesn't go as fast?
trashmanf is offline Find More Posts by trashmanf
Old Apr 12, 2007, 01:11 AM
Peace
Kona, Hawaii
Joined Aug 2005
352 Posts
I don't really know why, but it doesn't fly as fast. The power on and power off stability is amazing, though. We also just built a Maxi with all the controls on the top...something the instructions say not to do. It just makes more sense to have the protection of the top surface on landing. Anyway, we accidentally got the CG way aft, and lo and behold the thing flies fine. We were doing power off elevators, almost straight down, give it a little throttle, and it climbs right out again. Made landings a non-event, very soft, almost like a helicopter.

The Maxi is a great flier, and fun as hell to mod. We're working on a mod/pod that will put the motor, esc, battery and receiver all in a row on a lightweight aluminum frame that will bolt to the wing. The top of the aluminum strut has velcro, so everything can be moved forward or aft for playing with the cg. The idea is to get a plug-n-play Maxi.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 01:19 AM
Peace
Kona, Hawaii
Joined Aug 2005
352 Posts
Here's a picture of our work so far. The idea is to make the Maxi as Plug-n-play as possible. The "pod" is sitting on a bench, not the wing...
Old Jun 07, 2008, 01:12 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Any new developments on this? I would love to hear and see more of the Maxi. Love the Swift II and considering one of these, but you hear NOTHING about them at all, which kind of keeps me from jumping on board. I just sail my Swift II and it does that amazingly well. Curious how its larger but heavier brother would compare.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:57 AM
Custom User Title
Cary, NC
Joined Oct 2007
269 Posts
Bump for more info.........
Anders0n is offline Find More Posts by Anders0n
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:00 AM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
This thread seems to be more active.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518955

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Sep 17, 2009, 06:01 PM
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Apr 2008
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tioli
The picture is of a Maxi Swift we modified by putting the motor in the middle of the wing. We're astounded by the increased stability. Performance fell off significantly, but it flies and soars just great. We've tried several batteries, of various capacities, and weights, and there is no noticable difference in CG.

I think it would make a terrific trainer.
Run a 11/7 prop , it will move ...........w/ an E-flite 15 brushless
loe1240 is offline Find More Posts by loe1240