HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2002, 09:31 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,415 Posts
Miniflash maiden before and after pics

Okay, okay... so they're the same. No damage at all.
WOW! First flight report to follow... I flew a total of 9 flights (2 chargers working overtime). My setup is basically the same as the others except that I'm using an old 6 channel rx with the case off to keep the weight down yet enable flap to elevator mixing. Here are the specs.

AUW 17.4 (600ae's)
16.1 (800 nimh's)
GWS EPS300C-D 12x8 gws prop
Zagi 20 amp esc (I know, I know)
Futaba 6 RX (old, very old)
4 HS-55 servos
Throws - maximum all surfaces
Covered in Solite

First flight... Acceleration was outstanding. I started with reccomended high throws and book cg. Liftoff was very fast with a little right rudder needed. Climbing like a bat out of (well you know)...needed just a little right rudder trim for straight and level . Did some turns and realized that I already felt comfortable with this plane. Very predictable in all aspects. Started with rolls both directions and snap rolls both directions. Okay this is fun. Now for the spins upright and inverted... All good positive control and easy recoveries. Loops, immelmans, cubans, etc...

I then went to high throws on my tx (which happened to be the maximum possible-period). Approx 45-50 degrees on all surfaces. Roll rate is about 2 rolls per second. What is amazing is the pitch rate. Its a faster pitch rate than anything I have ever flown. Loops in literally less than 7 feet. Then I turned the flap elevator coupling on and the loops tightened to what seemed like less than the planes length. Very stable, in fact so stable that I could just hold the stick full up or down and the plane would continue looping and climbing without any snapping off at all.

Get this though, this is all on the first flight... On one last attempt at hovering and the bec cut in during the tailslide.. OOPS, recovered and had enough juice to make a nice landing. The plane had nearly enough power to hover at the end of a charge?!? Total flight time about 6 minutes.

On subsequent flights, did rolling circles, tumbling, and just general flopping and snapping around. I found that I could do a tailslide or torque rollish thing, fall out and then immediately push or pull right back to vertical with no downline. This plane is very forgiving but can be flown very aggressively. Oh and it will hover on a fresh nicad pack during the first minute or so of the pack (at 5500 feet!).

Landings are very easy. This plane will slow down extremely well, nearly to walking speed. I've only landed it on pavement but I think with a small amount of power on you could keep it from flipping over in the grass. What a cool plane. Thanks Doug for such a cool design and such great support. A 10 out of 10.

Here are some pics...

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2002, 09:34 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,415 Posts
Oops... here's the pic.
Old Oct 15, 2002, 09:37 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,415 Posts
Another... Can someone tell me why some of us can post multiple BIG pics without problems and some of us (me) can't . I see others post big pictures and I'd kinda like to be able to as well.. Does it have to do with the level of membership etc? Is there a trick?

Scott
Old Oct 15, 2002, 09:40 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,415 Posts
Last one with its stable mate.

Scott
Old Oct 15, 2002, 09:48 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,370 Posts
Great report! Good to hear that the Mini Flash flies so well.

Is that one of Steven's Cap 232s with it? I's like to hear how that one flies as well.

They both look great!

Keith
KeithLuneau is online now Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Oct 15, 2002, 09:48 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Hi Scott, great looking Mini Flash, and Cap too. Congrats on a heck of a first flight.

Are you attaching .jpg files? They compress better so you can fit a larger picture in the allowed space. (102K) The people doing multiple pics are linking to their own webspace.

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Oct 15, 2002, 09:55 PM
United States, NH, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2002
1,034 Posts
This sounds like, what I'm looking for.... Where can i get one?
ncrego is offline Find More Posts by ncrego
Old Oct 15, 2002, 10:04 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Ohhhhh, I can't wait! Thanks for the glowing flight report, Scott!

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Oct 15, 2002, 10:11 PM
End User
USA, IN, Carmel
Joined May 2002
2,841 Posts
That looks awesome!!
cathode is offline Find More Posts by cathode
Old Oct 15, 2002, 10:35 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sukhoi26mx
Another... Can someone tell me why some of us can post multiple BIG pics without problems and some of us (me) can't . I see others post big pictures and I'd kinda like to be able to as well.. Does it have to do with the level of membership etc? Is there a trick?

Scott
Very nice......

When I post multiple pictures it's because I've copied and pasted all the images into one file.

As for size - are you running into the file size limit? If so, turn up your JPEG compression (select lower quality/higher compression) for your version for posting.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Oct 15, 2002, 10:36 PM
End User
USA, IN, Carmel
Joined May 2002
2,841 Posts
I believe if you host the photos yourself, the size limit doesn't apply
cathode is offline Find More Posts by cathode
Old Oct 16, 2002, 12:21 AM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,403 Posts
See Scott - I told you you'd love the mini flash!

-Bill
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Old Oct 16, 2002, 12:52 AM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,415 Posts
ncrego,
Do a search for Miniflash and you'll find lots of info. Mountain Models (Doug Binder) sells them and I got a very early kit. I think they're available now through email (not on the website yet) at www.mountainmodels.com . Just send him an email (Doug) and he'll take care of you. Great value at $55.

Soslow,
They both fly really well. The cap is the little one (24" wing) and is really small! It is very fast, and I'm beta'ing a symmetrical wing for it that seems to be a great aerobatic wing. It is definately an advanced pilots plane (I know I probably don't qualify...). I'm still working on the best power plant for the Cap to match up with my flying style. I'm actually considering an EPS300 or the Watatge 370 geared (from a Crazy Max). (I know Bill, I said I wouldn't but I just can't help myself). I understand that the Park (1/8 scale) is a much more sedate flyer and my name is already in the hat for one of those as well.

Arenablimp,
You were right.. It s blast to flop around but I can't wait for that 1/8 Cap for the true turn-around flying. When again? I think I will do that Wattage motor on the Cap. How do you think it'll fly at a wing loading of 15oz/sqft?

Scott