SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 05, 2007, 11:15 PM
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Oct 2006
314 Posts
Discussion
Question for multiple plane owners

For all of you multiple owner/ fliers. Do you build each plane complete, including motor, esp, rx, servos etc.? Or are you more likely to switch electrical components around plane to plane as you make your decision on which plane will be flown that week/day?
arniebud is offline Find More Posts by arniebud
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2007, 11:20 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,939 Posts
When I started back in the hobby I switched receivers and sometimes ESC's. A bit difficult since I had a non-computer radio. I had to keep track of servo travel direction and limits for each plane. I also marked the trim settings on the transmitter with permanent markers.

I've been doing this long enough now that I have between 5 and ten flyable planes at any one time. I still have some 'spare' receivers, motors, esc's and servos sitting in the drawer. 'Worse' since I switched to a Spektrum. So now I have a bunch of 72MHz rcvrs in the drawer.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Apr 05, 2007, 11:22 PM
Suspended Account
Fountain Valley, California
Joined Feb 2004
10,769 Posts
A little of both. There a few planes that are always ready. Some others I'll swap electronics with when the urge strikes.

Will
willhaney is offline Find More Posts by willhaney
Old Apr 05, 2007, 11:31 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
2,954 Posts
i try to keep enough parts on hand to keep a half dozen flyable airplanes on hand all the time--but over time you accumulate a lot of extra parts as you try different products.

i hate to dismantle a plane to make another one..

T
ZRS4 is offline Find More Posts by ZRS4
Old Apr 05, 2007, 11:39 PM
Xtreme Nut
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Oct 2005
2,046 Posts
For me its a whole set of equipment for each plane ... I may only move RX and at times ECS. Its best to just get a whole set ... nowadays with a simple set up for fun flying you can purchase really cheap servos/esc/motors that work well. Its better than tearing the planes apart each time. Now we are talking smaller planes here ... in the range of 400 sized to 40 sized only!
tIANcI is offline Find More Posts by tIANcI
Old Apr 05, 2007, 11:57 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,410 Posts
Every one I have has its own gear. Currently have 33 hanging in the garage. I save old stuff when a plane is destroyed or worn out, but never seem to use it. Hmmm--must be a disease.
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Apr 06, 2007, 04:50 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
all ready to fly. Only packs get swapped.

Servos are cheap, and so are my brushed motors..which seem to accumulate faster than I can build planes to put them in.

I am running out of space to hang them all, and memories on my radio..and strangely, receivers..

Got about 8 in flying condition. Must sell some...
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Apr 06, 2007, 06:14 AM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,400 Posts
Essentially the only components that I don't switch are the servos and motor(s).
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Old Apr 06, 2007, 07:47 AM
It flew once before...
Northwood , New Hampshire
Joined Jul 2004
3,865 Posts
Arniebud ,
I have 11 flyable planes ( soon to be 12 ) programmed into my 10 model memory Futaba 7C radio . When I first started out I had the same thoughts about swapping gear . But the planes that I've built all seemd to have had different requirements for power systems , etc . The only thing I swap is the 1/2 dozen or so different batteries that gets used in them and most seem to do well on 2s or 3s depending on the mood of the day .
Most of the radio settings are the same . I think there may be one or two that I may have to reverse a servo setting on the transmitter . I left one "generic" channel open which gets used for new planes or if it's a similiar setup to another plane I'll use that channel instead .
Besides its nice to be able to take 2 or 3 at a time instead of being limited to one or when something is under repair for hanger rash you always got one thats useable . I try to save repairs for rainy days .

-John
jofrost is offline Find More Posts by jofrost
Old Apr 06, 2007, 10:44 AM
WAA-08 Survivor
Joined May 2004
2,646 Posts
Like to keep about 5-6 flyable at a time.
Only my primary aerobatic plane, the Groove, is safe from gear raids.
Planes I like the most get to keep everything except the reciever
Scale planes tend to lose flying interest not long after maiden and often get motors borrowed for long periods. Servos stay in though.
A bunch of planes are perfectly fine, but missing all gear and hanging on the wall.

My choice is simple-- I'd rather have more planes and enjoy more builds than have each one ready to fly. The price of gear in one of my mothballed planes can buy 3 kits...

-Steve
Griffin is online now Find More Posts by Griffin
Old Apr 06, 2007, 11:29 AM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,683 Posts
all ready to fly--just swap the packs out----some planes have thier own packs.
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Apr 06, 2007, 11:37 AM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,038 Posts
Flight packs are so cheap, (relatively), today that each plane gets its own, at least until I swap out the power systems. But even there, I have waaaay too many motors and controllers.

Martin
Martin Irvine is offline Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old Apr 07, 2007, 12:50 AM
Xtreme Nut
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Oct 2005
2,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1
all ready to fly. Only packs get swapped.

Servos are cheap, and so are my brushed motors..which seem to accumulate faster than I can build planes to put them in.

I am running out of space to hang them all, and memories on my radio..and strangely, receivers..

Got about 8 in flying condition. Must sell some...
I know what you mean, one day I opened my EP box and wondered how the h*ck I could have accumilated so many motors and esc! I always tell myself that I will sell my planes and cut down, after that I end up collecting again, this month alone I bought:

GWS P38
GWS ME262
Aeronaut Super Dimona
EJF Sport Jet
GP SE 5A

I am in deep doo doo!!!
tIANcI is offline Find More Posts by tIANcI
Old Apr 07, 2007, 04:03 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
I think I have about, maybe 16 or so planes, all with their own equipment, and for some reason, I have more brushed motors than I know what to do with. All of them brand new.

Also have Li-Po's in sizes I forgot about and wound up buying more of because I forgot I had the darn things already. Picked up two TP 480's for my new Jenny, came home and discovered I already had two of them. Same thing with CA. I keep buying the stuff and I already have more than enough to do 50 more planes.

Came back tonight from a special trip to the hardware store for a tube of RTV Silicone, and put it up on the shelf right next to the tube I had, unopened no less. Forgetfulness sucks.

Which reminds me... I have to go buy some TP 480 Li-Po's for my new Jenny tomorrow.

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 07, 2007, 05:01 AM
I'm just a CAD at heart
Perth, Australia
Joined Mar 2003
431 Posts
I have all planes set up with their own equipment. With the current cost of the electronics these days and the lack of time I prefer to do it this way. I used to swap Rx's but after turning up with one day with three models and no RX ...

Although I have not suceeded on all of my planes as I have a few 'oldies' from when I began around 5 years ago, I now try to get all planes to have the servos operate in the same sense so forgetting to set the correct plane memory is not (always) a plane killer.

Pete H
Pete H is offline Find More Posts by Pete H