HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2007, 12:21 AM
Blue Stick's Dad
Westchester, Ca
Joined May 2003
1,006 Posts
Discussion
1/6 scale P-40 plug in the making

I've decided to take an old plane I built many years ago and convert it into a plug and make a mold. This will also be my first mold I've ever made. The plane was made by blowing up a Guillow's balsa rubber band freeflight kit. I built it to a 1/6 scale so that I could use parts from a Topflight P-40 powered plane kit. The plane lost it's wing in a nose dive into the ground but that was good. It needed to be destroyed cause it sucked. I know a ton more about building slopers now than I did then.
Brian Koester is offline Find More Posts by Brian Koester
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2007, 12:24 AM
Blue Stick's Dad
Westchester, Ca
Joined May 2003
1,006 Posts
First I had to remove the old Monocote covering and the partially catalised resin and fiberglass. I started by trying to sand it off but it ended up taking a lot of time and sheets of sandpaper. I figured out that I could peel the fiberglass off the balsa pretty easily so that's what I did. The last picture shows what it looked like stripped bare and also after I'd done some work filling in stuff. After I attach the rudder and blend that in I'm going to fiberglass the whole fuse to stabilize it and then begin smoothing out everything with Bondo.
Last edited by Brian Koester; Apr 05, 2007 at 12:45 AM.
Old Apr 05, 2007, 12:40 AM
Blue Stick's Dad
Westchester, Ca
Joined May 2003
1,006 Posts
I built a rudder that I intend to build into the fuse out of 9 layers of balsa and plywood. It totaled 1/2" thick. I used the many layers as a guide to how much and where I was sanding material away to form the foiled shape of it. This worked quite well as I got a shape that was equal on both sides and didn't end up with "potholes" in the middle. The next task was to glue it onto the fuse. It took me several hours of playing around with the relationship between the fuse and the rudder to figure out that back end had some twist and alignment issues. That meant there was no reference points in the back to align the rudder to. I was desperately afraid that I would build a rudder into the fuse that would be plumb but with a slight left or right tweak in it. I'm not going to all this trouble to build a flawed plug. So I took 24 hours to think about it and came up with a solution. I'd do what I do when wood working (my other and bigger passion). I built a jig. My jig ensures that the rudder is plumb and is right down the center line of my jig. It also held by slots cut into the jig. The fuse is also held by the jig and can be rocked left or right until it's in position. Then where the rudder and the fuse meet is where I glued them together. Once I had everything aligned it showed how twisted the fuse was front to back. And now that I have the rudder properly located, I can add fuse with bondo and remove other parts to fix the back end so that hopefully no one will ever know. Well, except you guys who are reading this.
Old Apr 05, 2007, 12:42 AM
just CHUCK it!
Ramona Ca.
Joined Jun 2003
2,091 Posts
Someone's been bit by the build bug!

You go Brian!

Don't forget you have a F 86 to finish!
racingodds is offline Find More Posts by racingodds
Old Apr 05, 2007, 12:52 AM
Blue Stick's Dad
Westchester, Ca
Joined May 2003
1,006 Posts
Yeah yeah yeah...I'll update that thread too. I had to overcome this problem to free up my mind to begin bagging the F-86 parts. I've been also getting all that stuff ready. It's on my other table ready to bag tomorrow. I was planning on doing it tonight but I finished this too late to begin the bagging process.
Old Apr 05, 2007, 01:13 AM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,886 Posts
Sweet jig, Brian! I remember seeing this plane in your garage some time ago. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
slopeiron is offline Find More Posts by slopeiron
Old Apr 05, 2007, 09:47 AM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,903 Posts
You probably already thought of it but don't forget to change the airfoil shape on the bottom of the fuse. You're not going to want as thick a wing as you had before. And when you do that you'll want to set the incidence for the fuse/wing combo!
Looking good!
Tim
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Apr 05, 2007, 11:28 AM
Blue Stick's Dad
Westchester, Ca
Joined May 2003
1,006 Posts
Yep, I already have a plan to change the airfoil to RG-14 and I'll re-use the jig to set the wing/fuse relationship so that at level flight, the nose will be where I want it.
Old Apr 07, 2007, 01:45 AM
Blue Stick's Dad
Westchester, Ca
Joined May 2003
1,006 Posts
I got today off for Good Friday so I spent some serious time in the garage while my wife took the kids to the zoo. I spread some Bondo on both sides of the tail to begin fixing the tweaked old tail shape. After I sanded it,it looked a whole lot better.
Old Apr 07, 2007, 01:51 AM
Blue Stick's Dad
Westchester, Ca
Joined May 2003
1,006 Posts
On to building the wing. I want the finished wing to mate up perfectly with the fuse so I need to build a wing first, set it up and match the fuse to the wing, before the plug is finished. The finished wing span will be around 6 1/2 feet with an RG-14 foil. The root is 15 1/8 inches! I cut 4 blanks to cover my butt in case the cutter screws up (human error). I cut my templates and sanded them smooth as glass and then set up the feathercutter to test for the right arcing travel. Once that was set up, I called it a night. I get most of tomorrow to build so expect some more updates tomorrow.
Old Apr 07, 2007, 03:33 PM
Blue Stick's Dad
Westchester, Ca
Joined May 2003
1,006 Posts
Cut my first core in over 4 years and it came out almost perfect. I ran the bottom a little cool so it had a few small chatter marks. One pass of sand paper would knock them off. My second core had a weird small bump/ridge half way accross the top but I'm sure a little sandpaper will fix that too. I'm on kid duty until my wife is done shopping so the other two cores will wait until later.
Old Apr 07, 2007, 04:56 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
3,034 Posts
Brian brought by the wing, looks great he is cutting a 5%flat bottom for me.
bluffman is offline Find More Posts by bluffman
Old Apr 07, 2007, 09:30 PM
Blue Stick's Dad
Westchester, Ca
Joined May 2003
1,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluffman
Brian brought by the wing, looks great he is cutting a 5%flat bottom for me.
Not!!!!
Old Apr 07, 2007, 11:41 PM
The ProCreator
United States, CA, Claremont
Joined Jan 2004
1,041 Posts
Hey Brian--I too have had to made a top level ramp for that silly tracking wheel when the cores are too big, but check out this simple solution. Makes you wanta say DUHHHHH!!!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=868137
Artsloper is offline Find More Posts by Artsloper
Old Apr 07, 2007, 11:59 PM
Blue Stick's Dad
Westchester, Ca
Joined May 2003
1,006 Posts
OK no screw-ups. So now I have 2 perfectly good sets of wing cores. That will just force me to make two P-40's or an extra set should I ruin the first set.